Re: [War Of 1812] Re: Greetings to Ya'll

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
      I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed on Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were hired in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston from Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...

      Vic Suthren
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
        One of the things which I've found most intriguing about the whole
        war, is the breadth of opinion represented in the Northern states -
        New England not only traded with (e.g. smuggled goods to) British
        authorities in Canada, but at the same time appears to have supplied
        a large amount of the regular troops to the US Army. If I remember
        right, something like six regular infantry regiments were raised just
        in Massachusetts and the District of Maine, leaving aside regular
        units raised in Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut.

        People generalize that New England was against the war, (and the
        Hartford Convention near the end of the war does support the 'anti-
        war' interpretation) but the strong recruitment indicates to me a
        more nuanced view of New England opinion in period.

        Regards,
        Brian Smith
        (Full disclosure, I'm from the Boston area)

        > I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed on
        Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were
        hired
        in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston from
        Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...

        > Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812 was
        prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do with "Madison's
        War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

      • Colin
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
          I think that the the war was very unpopular amongst the upper middle
          and Upper classes (Shipowners, merchants, Bankers, skilled artisans
          etc..), as it most assuredly cut into their pocketbooks. And it
          was they that had the loudest voice ie..media and influence upon
          politicians. It was probably unpopular in the working class as well
          because they knew that if it cut into the employers money it could
          cost them their jobs...and it did.. and I think this is why so many
          from New England joined the Armed forces. Jobs. (plus a dense
          population and large families on small farms <--- I believe this is
          what cause an ancestor of mine to join the Marine Corps in 1813)

          But also, like Brian mentions, there had to be some base of support
          to supply those troops

          Just my 2 cents at 1 in the moring..
          YHOS
          Colin Murphy
          USS CON 1812 MG
          USMC HC

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@...>
          wrote:

          > One of the things which I've found most intriguing about the whole
          > war, is the breadth of opinion represented in the Northern states -

          > New England not only traded with (e.g. smuggled goods to) British
          > authorities in Canada, but at the same time appears to have
          supplied
          > a large amount of the regular troops to the US Army. If I
          remember
          > right, something like six regular infantry regiments were raised
          just
          > in Massachusetts and the District of Maine, leaving aside regular
          > units raised in Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut.
          >
          > People generalize that New England was against the war, (and the
          > Hartford Convention near the end of the war does support the 'anti-
          > war' interpretation) but the strong recruitment indicates to me a
          > more nuanced view of New England opinion in period.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Brian Smith
          > (Full disclosure, I'm from the Boston area)
          >

          > > I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed
          on
          > Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were
          > hired
          > in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston
          from
          > Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...
          > >

          > > Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812
          was
          > prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do
          with "Madison's
          > War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

        • Len Heidebrecht
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
            Hello All,

            Jon Latimer's '1812 War with America'covers the attitudes and dealings
            of the New Englaners very nicely.

            Cheers,

            Len