Re: [War Of 1812] Re: Greetings to Ya'll

  • Robert White
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
      Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812 was a prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do with "Madison's War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
        I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed on Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were hired in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston from Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...

        Vic Suthren
        Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812 was a prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do with "Madison's War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

        Yes, I'm in the United States, currently living in Wisconsin and I
        might be moving out to New England once I get my Bachelor's Degree.
        Anyways, I'm always open to trying any impression of this conflict. My
        main interest in the New England conflict is because I had a few
        relatives that were loggers in the region and according to family
        stories, they didn't really seem to like either forces in the area.
        Cheers,
        Daniel

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@ ...> wrote:

        > Daniel
        >
        > By your post I assume you are in the USA?!(New England and Maine)
        >
        > If you want to do USA Army in this time period

      • nappingcrow
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
          One of the things which I've found most intriguing about the whole
          war, is the breadth of opinion represented in the Northern states -
          New England not only traded with (e.g. smuggled goods to) British
          authorities in Canada, but at the same time appears to have supplied
          a large amount of the regular troops to the US Army. If I remember
          right, something like six regular infantry regiments were raised just
          in Massachusetts and the District of Maine, leaving aside regular
          units raised in Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut.

          People generalize that New England was against the war, (and the
          Hartford Convention near the end of the war does support the 'anti-
          war' interpretation) but the strong recruitment indicates to me a
          more nuanced view of New England opinion in period.

          Regards,
          Brian Smith
          (Full disclosure, I'm from the Boston area)

          > I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed on
          Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were
          hired
          in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston from
          Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...

          > Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812 was
          prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do with "Madison's
          War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

        • Colin
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
            I think that the the war was very unpopular amongst the upper middle
            and Upper classes (Shipowners, merchants, Bankers, skilled artisans
            etc..), as it most assuredly cut into their pocketbooks. And it
            was they that had the loudest voice ie..media and influence upon
            politicians. It was probably unpopular in the working class as well
            because they knew that if it cut into the employers money it could
            cost them their jobs...and it did.. and I think this is why so many
            from New England joined the Armed forces. Jobs. (plus a dense
            population and large families on small farms <--- I believe this is
            what cause an ancestor of mine to join the Marine Corps in 1813)

            But also, like Brian mentions, there had to be some base of support
            to supply those troops

            Just my 2 cents at 1 in the moring..
            YHOS
            Colin Murphy
            USS CON 1812 MG
            USMC HC

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@...>
            wrote:

            > One of the things which I've found most intriguing about the whole
            > war, is the breadth of opinion represented in the Northern states -

            > New England not only traded with (e.g. smuggled goods to) British
            > authorities in Canada, but at the same time appears to have
            supplied
            > a large amount of the regular troops to the US Army. If I
            remember
            > right, something like six regular infantry regiments were raised
            just
            > in Massachusetts and the District of Maine, leaving aside regular
            > units raised in Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut.
            >
            > People generalize that New England was against the war, (and the
            > Hartford Convention near the end of the war does support the 'anti-
            > war' interpretation) but the strong recruitment indicates to me a
            > more nuanced view of New England opinion in period.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Brian Smith
            > (Full disclosure, I'm from the Boston area)
            >

            > > I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed
            on
            > Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were
            > hired
            > in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston
            from
            > Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...
            > >

            > > Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812
            was
            > prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do
            with "Madison's
            > War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

          • Len Heidebrecht
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
              Hello All,

              Jon Latimer's '1812 War with America'covers the attitudes and dealings
              of the New Englaners very nicely.

              Cheers,

              Len