Re: [War Of 1812] other periods

  • Jim Pierce
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
      Todd,

      You can "deprogram" the USN guys? Wow...send me the recipe would you please :7) !!!

      As far as the "other periods" argument goes, the reality here in the states is not that the 1812 period is attracting the "flotsam and jetsam" from other "time period" portrayals, but that it is attracting the "best and the brightest" from the other time periods. That is, I'm sure everyone here would agree, not a BAD thing for the hobby.

      The real issue is that those same "best and brightest" come with a package of ideas at the very baseline is/or could be controversial when viewed from a position of, umm, long standing authority. The Bicentennial will offer some "excitement" and additional "troops" to the normal and traditional schedule of activities. If I were y'all, I'd be worried not whether they can do the proper drill for the period....but whether they already can do it "better". People are coming to this period because they see it has enormous potential...and it does. To close your minds to their ideas would be a potentially tragic mistake for our beloved hobby.

      PS: Most of these "new groups" have very few "gray hairs" amongst them.

      Fair Winds,

      Jim Pierce
      HM Ship Dragon

      "A Drop of Nelson's Blood wouldn't do us any Harm"
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
        In a message dated 3/1/2008 7:48:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        highlandpeat@... writes:

        PS: Most of these "new groups" have very few "gray hairs" amongst them.

        Jim,

        Exactly the reason we should encourage them to join the "1812 er's". They
        are a valuable resource that may one day become the mainstay of the hobby.
        There is a huge internal resource available here to help them to learn, grow
        and yes... bounce their ideas off of. It's called evolution not creation and
        that takes time. Hopefully between four and six years.

        JG/RE

        2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)