other periods

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 29, 2008
      It's been my experience that some people can "cross-dress"
      successfully and operate in an amazing array of time periods.

      Other people do just two time periods and get screwed up with the
      drill to the point where they end up in a sort of "twilight zone' -
      their drill is a mixture of both time periods, thus infuriating their
      comrades in each time zone...

      Jim Yaworsky
      41st
    • JGIL1812@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 29, 2008
        In a message dated 2/29/2008 7:36:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        yawors1@... writes:

        <<Other people do just two time periods and get screwed up with the
        drill to the point where they end up in a sort of "twilight zone' -
        their drill is a mixture of both time periods, thus infuriating their
        comrades in each time zone...>>

        Jim,

        I have seen this to. That is why I am encouraging "cross dressers" to start
        joining our hobby now. Hopefully, by the time of the bi centennial the
        "twilight zone" will become the "reality zone" of 1812 in drill and appearance.
        It also gives them plenty of time to begin getting their kit together instead
        of trying to put together something at the last minute that may or may not
        fit the time period.

        JG/RE

        2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

      • Todd Post
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
          Actually, the one soldier I had who had the biggest problem in mixing
          up drill wasn't into other time periods but could not "deprogram"
          himself from his service in the U.S. Navy decades ago.

          Cheers,
          Todd Post
          12th US Infantry Regiment
          www.12thinfantry.org

          On Mar 1, 2008, at 2:19 AM, JGIL1812@... wrote:

          > <<Other people do just two time periods and get screwed up with the
          > drill to the point where they end up in a sort of "twilight zone' -
          > their drill is a mixture of both time periods, thus infuriating their
          > comrades in each time zone...>>
          >
          > Jim,
          >
          > I have seen this to. That is why I am encouraging "cross dressers"
          > to start
          > joining our hobby now. Hopefully, by the time of the bi centennial the
          > "twilight zone" will become the "reality zone" of 1812 in drill and
          > appearance.
          > It also gives them plenty of time to begin getting their kit
          > together instead
          > of trying to put together something at the last minute that may or
          > may not
          > fit the time period.
          >
          > JG/RE
        • Jim Pierce
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
            Todd,

            You can "deprogram" the USN guys? Wow...send me the recipe would you please :7) !!!

            As far as the "other periods" argument goes, the reality here in the states is not that the 1812 period is attracting the "flotsam and jetsam" from other "time period" portrayals, but that it is attracting the "best and the brightest" from the other time periods. That is, I'm sure everyone here would agree, not a BAD thing for the hobby.

            The real issue is that those same "best and brightest" come with a package of ideas at the very baseline is/or could be controversial when viewed from a position of, umm, long standing authority. The Bicentennial will offer some "excitement" and additional "troops" to the normal and traditional schedule of activities. If I were y'all, I'd be worried not whether they can do the proper drill for the period....but whether they already can do it "better". People are coming to this period because they see it has enormous potential...and it does. To close your minds to their ideas would be a potentially tragic mistake for our beloved hobby.

            PS: Most of these "new groups" have very few "gray hairs" amongst them.

            Fair Winds,

            Jim Pierce
            HM Ship Dragon

            "A Drop of Nelson's Blood wouldn't do us any Harm"

            www.12thinfantry.org<http://www.12thinfantry.org/>

            On Mar 1, 2008, at 2:19 AM, JGIL1812@...<mailto:JGIL1812@...> wrote:

            > <<Other people do just two time periods and get screwed up with the
            > drill to the point where they end up in a sort of "twilight zone' -
            > their drill is a mixture of both time periods, thus infuriating their
            > comrades in each time zone...>>
            >
            > Jim,
            >
            > I have seen this to. That is why I am encouraging "cross dressers"
            > to start
            > joining our hobby now. Hopefully, by the time of the bi centennial the
            > "twilight zone" will become the "reality zone" of 1812 in drill and
            > appearance.
            > It also gives them plenty of time to begin getting their kit
            > together instead
            > of trying to put together something at the last minute that may or
            > may not
            > fit the time period.
            >
            > JG/RE

            War of 1812 Living History:
            A wide-ranging information exchange
            for all participants and supporters

            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com<http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/>
            American Forces Unit Listing
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com<http://usforces1812.tripod.com/>

            WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
            http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist<http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist>
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • JGIL1812@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
              In a message dated 3/1/2008 7:48:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              highlandpeat@... writes:

              PS: Most of these "new groups" have very few "gray hairs" amongst them.

              Jim,

              Exactly the reason we should encourage them to join the "1812 er's". They
              are a valuable resource that may one day become the mainstay of the hobby.
              There is a huge internal resource available here to help them to learn, grow
              and yes... bounce their ideas off of. It's called evolution not creation and
              that takes time. Hopefully between four and six years.