Greetings to Ya'll

  • Daniel J. Palama
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 29, 2008
      Hello there,
      I'm just starting to get into the War of 1812 era of reenacting, I
      guess extending from doing militia and the US regulars for the Black
      Hawk War. I'm pretty much going to be doing solo impressions and such
      at timeline events, but I still want to try and get my gear as accurate
      as I can. I'm 20 years old, and I would have to say my main interest of
      the conflict is in New England and Maine.
      Cheers,
      Daniel
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 29, 2008
        Daniel

        By your post I assume you are in the USA?!(New England and Maine)

        If you want to do USA Army in this time period

        Contact:

        Allegheny Arsenal
        Steve Abolt
        St. Simons Island,
        Georgia , USA
        912 - 638 - 2842
        sacbg7 (at)lynchburg.net

        Subscribers, there are members of this Yahoo Group in the USA,
        Canada, UK, Belgium, Australia, Japan, etc. When asking for help
        please let us know where you are located.

        Yrs.,
        Larry Lozon (L2)
        Upper Canada (Ontario)

        United States Forces 1812
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Crown Forces North America 1812
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        WAR Of 1812 Events

        Sutlers & Merchants
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

        --------------

      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 29, 2008
          Dear Daniel

          Any chance you'd be interested in the naval side of things? The Naval Establishment of Crown Forces North America is looking for new hands....

          Yours aye

          Vic Suthren
          Naval Establishment

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
            Hello to all once again,
            Yes, I'm in the United States, currently living in Wisconsin and I
            might be moving out to New England once I get my Bachelor's Degree.
            Anyways, I'm always open to trying any impression of this conflict. My
            main interest in the New England conflict is because I had a few
            relatives that were loggers in the region and according to family
            stories, they didn't really seem to like either forces in the area.
            Cheers,
            Daniel

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

            > Daniel
            >
            > By your post I assume you are in the USA?!(New England and Maine)
            >
            > If you want to do USA Army in this time period

          • Robert White
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
              Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812 was a prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do with "Madison's War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
                I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed on Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were hired in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston from Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...

                Vic Suthren
                Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812 was a prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do with "Madison's War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

                Yes, I'm in the United States, currently living in Wisconsin and I
                might be moving out to New England once I get my Bachelor's Degree.
                Anyways, I'm always open to trying any impression of this conflict. My
                main interest in the New England conflict is because I had a few
                relatives that were loggers in the region and according to family
                stories, they didn't really seem to like either forces in the area.
                Cheers,
                Daniel

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@ ...> wrote:

                > Daniel
                >
                > By your post I assume you are in the USA?!(New England and Maine)
                >
                > If you want to do USA Army in this time period

              • nappingcrow
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
                  One of the things which I've found most intriguing about the whole
                  war, is the breadth of opinion represented in the Northern states -
                  New England not only traded with (e.g. smuggled goods to) British
                  authorities in Canada, but at the same time appears to have supplied
                  a large amount of the regular troops to the US Army. If I remember
                  right, something like six regular infantry regiments were raised just
                  in Massachusetts and the District of Maine, leaving aside regular
                  units raised in Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut.

                  People generalize that New England was against the war, (and the
                  Hartford Convention near the end of the war does support the 'anti-
                  war' interpretation) but the strong recruitment indicates to me a
                  more nuanced view of New England opinion in period.

                  Regards,
                  Brian Smith
                  (Full disclosure, I'm from the Boston area)

                  > I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed on
                  Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were
                  hired
                  in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston from
                  Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...

                  > Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812 was
                  prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do with "Madison's
                  War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

                • Colin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
                    I think that the the war was very unpopular amongst the upper middle
                    and Upper classes (Shipowners, merchants, Bankers, skilled artisans
                    etc..), as it most assuredly cut into their pocketbooks. And it
                    was they that had the loudest voice ie..media and influence upon
                    politicians. It was probably unpopular in the working class as well
                    because they knew that if it cut into the employers money it could
                    cost them their jobs...and it did.. and I think this is why so many
                    from New England joined the Armed forces. Jobs. (plus a dense
                    population and large families on small farms <--- I believe this is
                    what cause an ancestor of mine to join the Marine Corps in 1813)

                    But also, like Brian mentions, there had to be some base of support
                    to supply those troops

                    Just my 2 cents at 1 in the moring..
                    YHOS
                    Colin Murphy
                    USS CON 1812 MG
                    USMC HC

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "nappingcrow" <nappingcrow@...>
                    wrote:

                    > One of the things which I've found most intriguing about the whole
                    > war, is the breadth of opinion represented in the Northern states -

                    > New England not only traded with (e.g. smuggled goods to) British
                    > authorities in Canada, but at the same time appears to have
                    supplied
                    > a large amount of the regular troops to the US Army. If I
                    remember
                    > right, something like six regular infantry regiments were raised
                    just
                    > in Massachusetts and the District of Maine, leaving aside regular
                    > units raised in Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut.
                    >
                    > People generalize that New England was against the war, (and the
                    > Hartford Convention near the end of the war does support the 'anti-
                    > war' interpretation) but the strong recruitment indicates to me a
                    > more nuanced view of New England opinion in period.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Brian Smith
                    > (Full disclosure, I'm from the Boston area)
                    >

                    > > I'm always in awe that the British army in Lower Canada was fed
                    on
                    > Vermont beef during the war, and that over 200 teams of oxen were
                    > hired
                    > in Vermont and New Hampshire to haul British guns up to Kingston
                    from
                    > Quebec. Talk about not liking Mr Madison's War...
                    > >

                    > > Probably not all that uncommon here. New England during 1812
                    was
                    > prime sea trading area and many wanted little to do
                    with "Madison's
                    > War". Economics was a big driving factor. Bob White, Boston

                  • Len Heidebrecht
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
                      Hello All,

                      Jon Latimer's '1812 War with America'covers the attitudes and dealings
                      of the New Englaners very nicely.

                      Cheers,

                      Len