Re: [War Of 1812] Aging Re-enactors

  • JGIL1812@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2008
      In a message dated 2/27/2008 9:31:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      dancingbobd@... writes:

      No electric cart for me! I've been collecting period canes! ;^D I will
      hobble out and talk about engineering! Too old to go on the field now! 8*) But
      will be at the Grand Tactical this year and love every minute of it!!

      Oh.. Come on Bob,

      You're not thinking of all the possibilities. Imagine you and I in uniform
      (one American and one Brit) side by side in wheel chairs and in the Rose Bowl
      parade doing the "1812" thing we do! . The crowds... the press... the
      pageantry. Millions would see us. We'd be old time pop hero's. Can't think of a
      better way to advertise the up and coming bicentennial. It's a 5 mile walk so I
      am not sure the canes will work (at least for me.) Are you sure you don't
      want me to save you a chair?????

      JG/RE

      2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

    • mimathews@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2008
        The Scots Greys under the command of Fritz Bronner have ridden in the Rose Bowl parade. So it can be done.

        Michael

        "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the
        opportunity in every difficulty." - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

        From: <suthren@...>
        Actually, lads, has anyone thought about making a serious application to the Rose Bowl Parade organization for an entry of an 1812 Centennial Combined Marching Unit of Fifes and Drums leading a composite company of American, British and Canadian troops of 1812? Is it worth pursuing? Would there be a ghost of a chance? Or would we be reaching a bit too far?

        Vic

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2008

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28, 2008
            Vic,

            Might I suggest the nasty sneering British/Canadians pass first with the
            U.S. forces following later to save the day? I remember as a child being
            at the Rose Bowl Parade during the days of the Arab oil embargo and
            being surprised at the booing and hissing sent the way of a grouping of
            Arab-attired horse riders. Play to the crowd like a pantomime. I can't
            say whether or not there'd be a ghost of a chance but subtlety most
            assuredly isn't a watchword of the Rose Bowl Parade. Might I suggest
            pursuing either the 2010 or 2011 parade?

            Ian

            dancingbobd@ <mailto:dancingbobd%40sbcglobal.net> sbcglobal.net writes:

[...]

            (http://living.
            <http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campo
            s-duffy/>

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 28, 2008
              Funny how it works that way. I remember marching in the post-Waterloo parade in '95. In general we French types were cheered heartily, the British were given very polite applause, and the Prussians were met with stony silence or hissing.

              Those were the days. Seemed like every time we stopped (which happened a lot) someone would pass us a bottle or share a glass. One fellow gave my corporal a 500 Franc note and said to buy the guys a round. Hmmm, never got one.... wondered what happened to it? ;-) At the time I'd have preferred water.

              From: "Ian Gardner" <igardner@...>
              Vic,

              Might I suggest the nasty sneering British/Canadians pass first with the
              U.S. forces following later to save the day? I remember as a child being
              at the Rose Bowl Parade during the days of the Arab oil embargo and
              being surprised at the booing and hissing sent the way of a grouping of
              Arab-attired horse riders. Play to the crowd like a pantomime. I can't
              say whether or not there'd be a ghost of a chance but subtlety most
              assuredly isn't a watchword of the Rose Bowl Parade. Might I suggest
              pursuing either the 2010 or 2011 parade?

              Ian

              (snip)Recent Activity
              4New Members
              Visit Your Group
              Only on Yahoo!
              World of Star Wars
              Meet fans, watch
              videos & more.
              Yahoo! News
              Fashion News
              What's the word on
              fashion and style?
              Sell Online
              Start selling with
              our award-winning
              e-commerce tools..

            • John Harris
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 28, 2008
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Gardner" <igardner@...> wrote:

                "I remember as a child being at the Rose Bowl Parade during the days
                of the Arab oil embargo and being surprised at the booing and hissing
                sent the way of a grouping of Arab-attired horse riders."

                Damn Shriners !!! Always getting in the way of a street parade !!!
                8^)
                John (well past my warranty)Harris
                Major
                Northern Brigade
                - Who is also a very beat up and "aging" re-enactor. Got the
                comfirmation today from the MD, now my right shoulder is toast!!!
                It's going to be a painfull season.
              • Bob Dorian

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 28, 2008
                    In a message dated 2/28/2008 5:24:04 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    dancingbobd@... writes:

                    <<Can we get carriage with white horses and liveried driver? Must go in
                    style!! We're Engineers ya know! ;^D>>>

                    Bob,

                    Now your are talking. We'll get this "1812 thing" off the ground before
                    anybody knows what's happened to them. Hell... I wonder who'll play us in the
                    movie version????? Enjoy :-)