Raw edging of coat hems

  • William Lee Davis
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2008
      Dear list--Does any one of you know whether uniform coats were raw
      edged at the hem in this period? I am familiar with this for the mid
      18th C., but don't know if there was a change to a closed hem by
      1812. Thanks for any information you can provide. Thanks. Take
      Care, W.Lee Davis, HMS Dragon
    • Tom Hurlbut
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2008
        Hello Mr. Davis

        While I am not an authority on period clothing (I mean I defer to others on details), I have not seen a response to your query and will tell you, to the best of my knowledge, the bottom hems on uniform coats were indeed raw edged in 1812. I've heard that not only was the cloth woven tightly enough to avoid serious fraying, but that the seemingly incessant rain that the soldiers of every nation were forced to endure, would run off rather than stay and soak the wool, something a sewn hem would encourage.

        All of my 1812 uniform coats have raw edged bottom hems. Some were made by very experienced period tailors.

        "Lt."/ "Major" Tom