Canadian efforts

  • R. Feltoe
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 1999
      Rob
      I think the list of Canadian contributions to the war is a good one but I am
      saddened that you didn't think to include any reference to the "Rambo"
      Battalion AKA The Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada their
      list of credits include:
      Being a totally volunteer unit made up of men, many of whom had already seen
      service in the Embodied Militia at Queenston, Detroit etc. These guys
      volunteered to become full time servicemen and served on both the St
      Lawrence and Niagara frontiers as company-sized units throughout 1813
      engaging in several cross-border raids. They manned gunboats on Lake
      Ontario and down the St Lawrence engaging the enemy on several occasions.
      Men from that unit led the crossing of the Niagara River and assault upon
      Fort Niagara. The
      capture of Buffalo, and participated in the ongoing defense of Kingston and
      Fort Wellington. Once the separate units were amalgamated at York in March
      1814, they became a single Battalion and with the American invasion of July
      1814, they served on the Niagara. Here they acted as the rearguard for the
      regular army after Chippawa and most importantly stood in line at Lundys
      Lane, taking the brunt of the American attack (while the Glengarry Light
      Infantry outflanked the Americans off to the right) for
      a full 90 minutes, thus allowing the regulars to arrive and take up their
      positions. Then, later, when they found themselves outflanked on their left
      and attacked from that quarter, instead of breaking and running, they
      successfully executed a battalion-sized backwards wheel on the right,
      redeploying a full 90 degrees while under fire, thus securing the flank and
      beating off the attack. Following this, they were involved in every assault
      to regain the guns captured by the Americans, were amongst the first units
      to reach Fort Erie in the following days and fought with distinction
      throughout the siege. This bunch of "Redcoated Ploughboys" so impressed
      Gen. Drummond that he referred to them as equal to those of the regulars
      under his command and he intended to triple the size of the unit and convert
      it to a green-coated rifle unit in 1815. Unfortunately, peace broke out and
      the lads were sent home with 6 months pay and a grant of 100 acres of land.
      Not bad for a bunch of colonial amateurs!
      Regards Richard.
    • R Henderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 1999
        Richard,

        Good synopsis on the Incorporated Militia. I am quite aware of the Incorporated Militia's service. As I mentioned to Sean, the list I provided was to illustrate a point,
        not as the complete bible of Canadian unit services. However your additions are valuable to the discussion. Now what unit saw more fighting or were more effective: the
        Incorporated Militia, the Royal Newfoundland Fencibles or the Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles?

        Robert

        R. Feltoe wrote:

        > From: "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...>
        >
        > Rob
        > I think the list of Canadian contributions to the war is a good one but I am
        > saddened that you didn't think to include any reference to the "Rambo"
        > Battalion AKA The Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada their
        > list of credits include:
        > Being a totally volunteer unit made up of men, many of whom had already seen
        > service in the Embodied Militia at Queenston, Detroit etc. These guys
        > volunteered to become full time servicemen and served on both the St
        > Lawrence and Niagara frontiers as company-sized units throughout 1813
        > engaging in several cross-border raids. They manned gunboats on Lake
        > Ontario and down the St Lawrence engaging the enemy on several occasions.
        > Men from that unit led the crossing of the Niagara River and assault upon
        > Fort Niagara. The
        > capture of Buffalo, and participated in the ongoing defense of Kingston and
        > Fort Wellington. Once the separate units were amalgamated at York in March
        > 1814, they became a single Battalion and with the American invasion of July
        > 1814, they served on the Niagara. Here they acted as the rearguard for the
        > regular army after Chippawa and most importantly stood in line at Lundys
        > Lane, taking the brunt of the American attack (while the Glengarry Light
        > Infantry outflanked the Americans off to the right) for
        > a full 90 minutes, thus allowing the regulars to arrive and take up their
        > positions. Then, later, when they found themselves outflanked on their left
        > and attacked from that quarter, instead of breaking and running, they
        > successfully executed a battalion-sized backwards wheel on the right,
        > redeploying a full 90 degrees while under fire, thus securing the flank and
        > beating off the attack. Following this, they were involved in every assault
        > to regain the guns captured by the Americans, were amongst the first units
        > to reach Fort Erie in the following days and fought with distinction
        > throughout the siege. This bunch of "Redcoated Ploughboys" so impressed
        > Gen. Drummond that he referred to them as equal to those of the regulars
        > under his command and he intended to triple the size of the unit and convert
        > it to a green-coated rifle unit in 1815. Unfortunately, peace broke out and
        > the lads were sent home with 6 months pay and a grant of 100 acres of land.
        > Not bad for a bunch of colonial amateurs!
        > Regards Richard.

        > We now have over 85,000 e-mail communities. Check out our new web site!
        > http://www.onelist.com
      • Andrew S. Finch
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 1999
          Thank you Richard for standing up for our poor neglected unit