Re: [War Of 1812] was War of 1812 in the news, now apparently Toronto bashing :7)

  • Dale Kidd
    Message 1 of 47 , Feb 3, 2008
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:
      Let's ask the question how important was York (Toronto)
      > throughout the course of the War of 1812?

      Truth be told, Ray, I personally think the Americans might have
      disregarded York entirely as being more trouble than it was really
      worth, despite it's being the seat of government for Upper Canada,
      except for one little development. That, of course, was the
      construction of the frigate 'Sir Isaac Brock' at the York shipyard. If
      completed, the Brock would have completely tipped the balance of power
      on Lake Ontario. The Americans could not afford to allow that to
      happen, hence the attack. That one consideration was probably the
      deciding factor.

      ~Dale
    • Ian Gardner
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 8, 2008
        Ah well, I'll let you off with just a look askance this time. But next
        time, it might well be a Charles Willcocks/Joseph Willcocks brouhaha and
        that could get ugly. :-)

        Ian