Re: [War Of 1812] Battle of Fort George

  • Richard McGuinness
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
      Wow, guys, that was fast. I agree that information on the amphibious
      assualt is sketchy. There are a couple of first hand American accounts:
      Private Amasiah Ford (23rd US, Armstrong's Co.) and Capt Efriam Shaler
      (25th US) who say it was quite a sight. I'm sure it was. Anyway, I have
      all the muster rolls of the 23rd at National Archives and one of the
      companies, Capt Peter Mills, took heavy casualties. Cruikshank
      Specifically mentions that Mills' company was on the left but where was
      the rest of the regiment?. At least one company was at Sackets Harbor
      greeting Sir James's boys. I'm trying to narrow down which was their
      brigade. Except for Lundy's Lane and Fort Erie the 23rd seems to have
      been diced and spliced throughout the war. Cruikshank details Boyd's
      brigade as including the 6th, 15th & 16th but is quiet on Winder's and
      Chandler's.

      I will check into Auchinlecks. There isn't much detailed coverage in
      the modern histories that I can find.

      Thanks for the help (Richard and Mark)

      Rich McGuinness

      accouts --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bevis <sultanbev@...>
      wrote:

      > An article by Arthur Harman in Miniature Wargames Oct 1995 has the
      5th, 16th, 23rd, 25th Infantry Regiments, 1st Rifle Regiment (Captn
      Lyttle's Company), 3 Light Infantry Companies (light coys of the
      regular regiments?), 2nd Light Dragoons, 2 Artillery Companies of 2nd
      Artillery Regiment, total 3550 men approx and 6 guns, of which at least
      one was a brass howitzer.

      > Mark Bevis

    • Richard McGuinness
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
        Thanks for that lead. You probably just answered the question but how
        do you know that Chandler's and Winder's brigades were broken up for
        the assualt?

        Rich

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronaldjohndale" <ronaldjohndale@...>