Re: [War Of 1812] Battle of Fort George

  • ronaldjohndale
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
      This one is difficult to nail down because Chandler's and Winder's
      brigades were broken up for the assault on Fort George. Dragoons,
      Rifles and Artillery seem to have been attached to the infantry
      brigades as required.

      The circumstances surrounding Chandler's performance at Stoney Creek
      give some clues as to the Brigade construction. see Chandler commanded
      the 9th, 23rd and 25th while Winder seems most closely associated with
      the 5th, 13th and 14th. Boyd's was the 6th, 15th and 16th. The 16th
      was attached to Winder's brigade at the Battle of Stoney Creek.

      Ron
    • Richard McGuinness
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
        Wow, guys, that was fast. I agree that information on the amphibious
        assualt is sketchy. There are a couple of first hand American accounts:
        Private Amasiah Ford (23rd US, Armstrong's Co.) and Capt Efriam Shaler
        (25th US) who say it was quite a sight. I'm sure it was. Anyway, I have
        all the muster rolls of the 23rd at National Archives and one of the
        companies, Capt Peter Mills, took heavy casualties. Cruikshank
        Specifically mentions that Mills' company was on the left but where was
        the rest of the regiment?. At least one company was at Sackets Harbor
        greeting Sir James's boys. I'm trying to narrow down which was their
        brigade. Except for Lundy's Lane and Fort Erie the 23rd seems to have
        been diced and spliced throughout the war. Cruikshank details Boyd's
        brigade as including the 6th, 15th & 16th but is quiet on Winder's and
        Chandler's.

        I will check into Auchinlecks. There isn't much detailed coverage in
        the modern histories that I can find.

        Thanks for the help (Richard and Mark)

        Rich McGuinness

        accouts --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bevis <sultanbev@...>
        wrote:

        > An article by Arthur Harman in Miniature Wargames Oct 1995 has the
        5th, 16th, 23rd, 25th Infantry Regiments, 1st Rifle Regiment (Captn
        Lyttle's Company), 3 Light Infantry Companies (light coys of the
        regular regiments?), 2nd Light Dragoons, 2 Artillery Companies of 2nd
        Artillery Regiment, total 3550 men approx and 6 guns, of which at least
        one was a brass howitzer.

        > Mark Bevis

      • Richard McGuinness
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
          Thanks for that lead. You probably just answered the question but how
          do you know that Chandler's and Winder's brigades were broken up for
          the assualt?

          Rich

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronaldjohndale" <ronaldjohndale@...>