RE: [War Of 1812] Battle of Fort George

  • Mark Bevis
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1 11:54 AM
      An article by Arthur Harman in Miniature Wargames Oct 1995 has the 5th, 16th, 23rd, 25th Infantry Regiments, 1st Rifle Regiment (Captn Lyttle's Company), 3 Light Infantry Companies (light coys of the regular regiments?), 2nd Light Dragoons, 2 Artillery Companies of 2nd Artillery Regiment, total 3550 men approx and 6 guns, of which at least one was a brass howitzer.

      Mark Bevis
    • ronaldjohndale
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1 12:10 PM
        This one is difficult to nail down because Chandler's and Winder's
        brigades were broken up for the assault on Fort George. Dragoons,
        Rifles and Artillery seem to have been attached to the infantry
        brigades as required.

        The circumstances surrounding Chandler's performance at Stoney Creek
        give some clues as to the Brigade construction. see Chandler commanded
        the 9th, 23rd and 25th while Winder seems most closely associated with
        the 5th, 13th and 14th. Boyd's was the 6th, 15th and 16th. The 16th
        was attached to Winder's brigade at the Battle of Stoney Creek.

        Ron
      • Richard McGuinness
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1 12:28 PM
          Wow, guys, that was fast. I agree that information on the amphibious
          assualt is sketchy. There are a couple of first hand American accounts:
          Private Amasiah Ford (23rd US, Armstrong's Co.) and Capt Efriam Shaler
          (25th US) who say it was quite a sight. I'm sure it was. Anyway, I have
          all the muster rolls of the 23rd at National Archives and one of the
          companies, Capt Peter Mills, took heavy casualties. Cruikshank
          Specifically mentions that Mills' company was on the left but where was
          the rest of the regiment?. At least one company was at Sackets Harbor
          greeting Sir James's boys. I'm trying to narrow down which was their
          brigade. Except for Lundy's Lane and Fort Erie the 23rd seems to have
          been diced and spliced throughout the war. Cruikshank details Boyd's
          brigade as including the 6th, 15th & 16th but is quiet on Winder's and
          Chandler's.

          I will check into Auchinlecks. There isn't much detailed coverage in
          the modern histories that I can find.

          Thanks for the help (Richard and Mark)

          Rich McGuinness

          accouts --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bevis <sultanbev@...>
          wrote:

          > An article by Arthur Harman in Miniature Wargames Oct 1995 has the
          5th, 16th, 23rd, 25th Infantry Regiments, 1st Rifle Regiment (Captn
          Lyttle's Company), 3 Light Infantry Companies (light coys of the
          regular regiments?), 2nd Light Dragoons, 2 Artillery Companies of 2nd
          Artillery Regiment, total 3550 men approx and 6 guns, of which at least
          one was a brass howitzer.

          > Mark Bevis

        • Richard McGuinness
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1 12:35 PM
            Thanks for that lead. You probably just answered the question but how
            do you know that Chandler's and Winder's brigades were broken up for
            the assualt?

            Rich

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronaldjohndale" <ronaldjohndale@...>