RE: [War Of 1812] Battle of Fort George

  • Mark Bevis
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
      G Auchinleck's book A History of the war...... pg169

      has the two brigades totalling: 2200 infantry in the
      5th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd Infantry Regiments; 8-9 field guns, 250 cavalry

      Hopefully there is a more modern source that can update this!

      Mark Bevis
    • Mark Bevis
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
        An article by Arthur Harman in Miniature Wargames Oct 1995 has the 5th, 16th, 23rd, 25th Infantry Regiments, 1st Rifle Regiment (Captn Lyttle's Company), 3 Light Infantry Companies (light coys of the regular regiments?), 2nd Light Dragoons, 2 Artillery Companies of 2nd Artillery Regiment, total 3550 men approx and 6 guns, of which at least one was a brass howitzer.

        Mark Bevis
      • ronaldjohndale
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
          This one is difficult to nail down because Chandler's and Winder's
          brigades were broken up for the assault on Fort George. Dragoons,
          Rifles and Artillery seem to have been attached to the infantry
          brigades as required.

          The circumstances surrounding Chandler's performance at Stoney Creek
          give some clues as to the Brigade construction. see Chandler commanded
          the 9th, 23rd and 25th while Winder seems most closely associated with
          the 5th, 13th and 14th. Boyd's was the 6th, 15th and 16th. The 16th
          was attached to Winder's brigade at the Battle of Stoney Creek.

          Ron
        • Richard McGuinness
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
            Wow, guys, that was fast. I agree that information on the amphibious
            assualt is sketchy. There are a couple of first hand American accounts:
            Private Amasiah Ford (23rd US, Armstrong's Co.) and Capt Efriam Shaler
            (25th US) who say it was quite a sight. I'm sure it was. Anyway, I have
            all the muster rolls of the 23rd at National Archives and one of the
            companies, Capt Peter Mills, took heavy casualties. Cruikshank
            Specifically mentions that Mills' company was on the left but where was
            the rest of the regiment?. At least one company was at Sackets Harbor
            greeting Sir James's boys. I'm trying to narrow down which was their
            brigade. Except for Lundy's Lane and Fort Erie the 23rd seems to have
            been diced and spliced throughout the war. Cruikshank details Boyd's
            brigade as including the 6th, 15th & 16th but is quiet on Winder's and
            Chandler's.

            I will check into Auchinlecks. There isn't much detailed coverage in
            the modern histories that I can find.

            Thanks for the help (Richard and Mark)

            Rich McGuinness

            accouts --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bevis <sultanbev@...>
            wrote:

            > An article by Arthur Harman in Miniature Wargames Oct 1995 has the
            5th, 16th, 23rd, 25th Infantry Regiments, 1st Rifle Regiment (Captn
            Lyttle's Company), 3 Light Infantry Companies (light coys of the
            regular regiments?), 2nd Light Dragoons, 2 Artillery Companies of 2nd
            Artillery Regiment, total 3550 men approx and 6 guns, of which at least
            one was a brass howitzer.

            > Mark Bevis

          • Richard McGuinness
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
              Thanks for that lead. You probably just answered the question but how
              do you know that Chandler's and Winder's brigades were broken up for
              the assualt?

              Rich

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronaldjohndale" <ronaldjohndale@...>