Re: [War Of 1812] was War of 1812 in the news, now apparently Toronto bashing :7)

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 47 , Feb 1, 2008
      List:
      Now, to change this in a slightly different, and more relevant
      direction. Let's ask the question how important was York (Toronto)
      throughout the course of the War of 1812?
      In Upper Canada, compare it to Kingston, Head of the Lake (including
      Burlington Heights), Niagara, Fort Erie, Amherstburg, even lowly St.
      David's.
      I know that by the end of 1813 York was regarded as of little military
      significance by Drummond, and the focus shifted westward.
      It is worth wondering how much these other communities are setting
      aside to remember the war during the Bicentennial years in comparison
      to Toronto's current commitment.
      Those on the list who currently live in these locations or nearby - how
      much?
      Now back to shoveling the driveway - 3rd time today.
      Ray H
      41st

      On 1-Feb-08, at 1:46 PM, peter monahan wrote:

      > Ron (et al)
      >
      > My original post was an early morning attempt at humourous commentary
      > on the apparent incongruity of
      >
      > "$798.3 million for policing]; 202.3 million for [publuic transit] and
      > $25,000 'to begin planning for events marking bicentennial of War of
      > 1812'." in that order as top three! A simple report of the facts as
      > published, "without prejudice", as the lawyers say.
      >
      > No slings or arrows implied, though I can slang T.O. with the best of
      > and rest of the former residents now emigrants to greener pastures (or
      > at least larger building lots. As Mr. Wiliams points out so cogently,
      > Toronto-bashing is an ancient and well established Canadian cultural
      > pastime, comparable only to moose-milking and cod kissing as a puller
      > together of disparate geographical and cultural fragments!
      >
      > Yrs etc
      > Peter Monahan

    • Ian Gardner
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 8, 2008
        Ah well, I'll let you off with just a look askance this time. But next
        time, it might well be a Charles Willcocks/Joseph Willcocks brouhaha and
        that could get ugly. :-)

        Ian