Battle of Fort George

  • Richard McGuinness
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hello List,

      Can anyone tell me which regiments made up Winder's Brigade and which
      regiments made up Chandler's Brigade in the assualt on Fort George in
      May 1813? I have Cruikshank's 1896 pamphlet on the battle and I've been
      skimming over his Documentary History Vol 5 but no luck.

      Any help is much appreciated.

      Rich McGuinness
      23rd US (hopefully)
    • Mark Bevis
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
        G Auchinleck's book A History of the war...... pg169

        has the two brigades totalling: 2200 infantry in the
        5th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd Infantry Regiments; 8-9 field guns, 250 cavalry

        Hopefully there is a more modern source that can update this!

        Mark Bevis
      • Mark Bevis
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
          An article by Arthur Harman in Miniature Wargames Oct 1995 has the 5th, 16th, 23rd, 25th Infantry Regiments, 1st Rifle Regiment (Captn Lyttle's Company), 3 Light Infantry Companies (light coys of the regular regiments?), 2nd Light Dragoons, 2 Artillery Companies of 2nd Artillery Regiment, total 3550 men approx and 6 guns, of which at least one was a brass howitzer.

          Mark Bevis
        • ronaldjohndale
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
            This one is difficult to nail down because Chandler's and Winder's
            brigades were broken up for the assault on Fort George. Dragoons,
            Rifles and Artillery seem to have been attached to the infantry
            brigades as required.

            The circumstances surrounding Chandler's performance at Stoney Creek
            give some clues as to the Brigade construction. see Chandler commanded
            the 9th, 23rd and 25th while Winder seems most closely associated with
            the 5th, 13th and 14th. Boyd's was the 6th, 15th and 16th. The 16th
            was attached to Winder's brigade at the Battle of Stoney Creek.

            Ron
          • Richard McGuinness
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
              Wow, guys, that was fast. I agree that information on the amphibious
              assualt is sketchy. There are a couple of first hand American accounts:
              Private Amasiah Ford (23rd US, Armstrong's Co.) and Capt Efriam Shaler
              (25th US) who say it was quite a sight. I'm sure it was. Anyway, I have
              all the muster rolls of the 23rd at National Archives and one of the
              companies, Capt Peter Mills, took heavy casualties. Cruikshank
              Specifically mentions that Mills' company was on the left but where was
              the rest of the regiment?. At least one company was at Sackets Harbor
              greeting Sir James's boys. I'm trying to narrow down which was their
              brigade. Except for Lundy's Lane and Fort Erie the 23rd seems to have
              been diced and spliced throughout the war. Cruikshank details Boyd's
              brigade as including the 6th, 15th & 16th but is quiet on Winder's and
              Chandler's.

              I will check into Auchinlecks. There isn't much detailed coverage in
              the modern histories that I can find.

              Thanks for the help (Richard and Mark)

              Rich McGuinness

              accouts --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bevis <sultanbev@...>
              wrote:

              > An article by Arthur Harman in Miniature Wargames Oct 1995 has the
              5th, 16th, 23rd, 25th Infantry Regiments, 1st Rifle Regiment (Captn
              Lyttle's Company), 3 Light Infantry Companies (light coys of the
              regular regiments?), 2nd Light Dragoons, 2 Artillery Companies of 2nd
              Artillery Regiment, total 3550 men approx and 6 guns, of which at least
              one was a brass howitzer.

              > Mark Bevis

            • Richard McGuinness
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
                Thanks for that lead. You probably just answered the question but how
                do you know that Chandler's and Winder's brigades were broken up for
                the assualt?

                Rich

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ronaldjohndale" <ronaldjohndale@...>