Re: [War Of 1812] War of 1812 in the news(humourous reply)

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 47 , Feb 1, 2008
      On Feb 1, 2008 11:18 AM, J.Bruce Whittaker <ortheris@...> wrote:

      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>, "John
      > Ogden" <johnjogden@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dale & co.,
      > > Interesting idea for an event, although I personally (as an
      > American)
      > > like Toronto: it's like New York without the violent crime rate!
      >
      > Hi John,
      > I guess you don't get Toronto newspapers or television where you are. :)
      > Regards,
      > Bruce Whittaker (who seldom enters the war zone south of Steeles Ave.)
      > P.S. my apologies to those who live in the Centre of the Universe. :)
      > (is this whacking the hornet's nest Paul?)

      Well, I live in Pittsburgh PA, so no, I don't readily have access to Toronto
      > media, but I'm willing to listen to any apples-to-apples comparisons of
      > violent crime rates between American and Canadian cities. My city is not
      > particularly large (21st largest metro area in the USA), with the city
      > proper consisting of about 400 thousand people, the larger metro area
      > comprising about 2 million people. The city itself has already broken into
      > double digits for homicides for 2008, the rest of the metro area adding an
      > extra five. According to Toronto's official website, the city has about
      > 2.5 million in the city and about 5 million in the GTA. How's Toronto's
      > murder rate compare? When it comes to random senseless violence as a
      > competitive sport, I'll bet on my country any day...

      Actually, that came out a lot more confrontational than I intended. Sorry
      about that. As has been pointed out, we're getting way off-topic for the
      list.

      --
      John J. Ogden
      Hanley School of Law

      Madison, June 20, 1785

    • Ian Gardner
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 8, 2008
        Ah well, I'll let you off with just a look askance this time. But next
        time, it might well be a Charles Willcocks/Joseph Willcocks brouhaha and
        that could get ugly. :-)

        Ian