Re: [War Of 1812] Chamber's Repeating Gun - Was Puckle Gun

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
      Clearly, I did not look at the illustration closely enough!

      I retire, sir, bloodied but unbowed, before your superior logic and
      expertise !

      PM
    • Gordon Deans
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
        I believe that the real failure of the Puckle Gun could be attributed
        to the fact that the gunner had to load the round bullets into the
        round chambers and the square bullets into the square chambers and to
        remember when to use which. Something about the lack of natural
        intelligence.

        Gord Deans.

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 2, 2008
          "Dale Kidd" <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:

          > Is it just me, or is there a very real danger with the so-called "Roman
          > candle principle of stacked charges"? I just envision one bullet
          > failing to fully exit the barrel due to the explosive force of the
          > charge venting through the hole in it, then the next charge going off
          > behind. Don't think I'd want to be the poor bugger holding the gun when
          > the barrel explodes...
          >
          > ~Dale

          Actualy the biggest problem wiht the "Roman Candle" principle use in
          the Chamber's gun seems to have been that the fireing sequence in the
          multiple barrels would,for want of a better term, get "out of phase"
          and the weapon would shake itself to peices. Also, there is the
          obvious draw back that once you pull the trigger the weapon continues
          to fire until al the charges are expended. There was no way to fire
          short bursts.

          As for the multi shot muskets, the version with two locks was a
          prototype. The production version had, as Mr. Pickles pointed out, a
          long tube beside the barrel which comunitcated the fire from priming
          pan to initial the initial charge. After fireing off the 11 stacked
          rounds the musket could be used as a normal single shot weapon by
          fliping a small lever above the pan which uncovered a standard vent
          hole beside the priming pan.

          Ed B.
        • Dale Kidd
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 3, 2008
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
            wrote:
            I also know that even Mr. Colt's esteemed weapons, at
            > least in the days before metal cartridge casings,
            occasionally "gang
            > fired", with all chambers going off at once or in very quick
            > succession.

            This was properly termed a "chain-fire", and was indeed a relatively
            common occurrence in Col. Colt's early blackpowder revolvers. The
            proper way to avoid this was to seal the open ends of the cylinder
            chambers with a wad and/or a layer of grease ahead of the ball.

            There is a very humorous, and supposedly true, story of a misfire of
            this type happening to none other than the infamous William "Billy
            the Kid" Bonney early in his gunfighting career. Apparently, Bonney
            got into an argument with a cowboy in a saloon, and while his
            adversary was momentarily distracted, drew his revolver and tried to
            shoot him in the back (as was the Kid's modus operandi). On this
            occasion, however, instead of adding another notch to his sixgun,
            Bonney's revolver chain-fired and blew itself apart in his hand. To
            add further insult to injury, the would-be target of the young outlaw
            took considerable umbrage at his intention, and proceeded to beat the
            Kid to a bloody pulp.

            Off topic, but interesting none the less.

            ~Dale