Re: [War Of 1812] Chamber's Repeating Gun - Was Puckle Gun

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1 8:41 AM
      In a message dated 2/1/2008 9:10:28 AM Central Standard Time,
      petemonahan@... writes:

      Far be it from me to disagree with your learned self, sir. However,
      I believe most early "revolving chamber" had a disconcerting habit of
      spitting flame in all directions around imperfectly sealed chamber-to-
      barrel seals. I also know that even Mr. Colt's esteemed weapons, at
      least in the days before metal cartridge casings, occasionally "gang
      fired", with all chambers going off at once or in very quick
      succession.

      That was certainly a posibility but actualy far less with the Puckle gun as
      the brass chambers holding the charge did not just line up with the barrel,
      they screwed into it. The crank handle first unscrewed the camber then moved
      the revolving block so that the next chamber could be placed oposite the
      breach. Then the crank was turned in the oposite direction to screw the loaded
      chamber into the barel. So as long as the screw threads engaged properly there
      should be no imperfect chamber to barrel seal.

      Cheers,

      48)

    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1 9:11 AM
        Clearly, I did not look at the illustration closely enough!

        I retire, sir, bloodied but unbowed, before your superior logic and
        expertise !

        PM
      • Gordon Deans
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1 4:07 PM
          I believe that the real failure of the Puckle Gun could be attributed
          to the fact that the gunner had to load the round bullets into the
          round chambers and the square bullets into the square chambers and to
          remember when to use which. Something about the lack of natural
          intelligence.

          Gord Deans.

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 2 7:15 AM
            "Dale Kidd" <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:

            > Is it just me, or is there a very real danger with the so-called "Roman
            > candle principle of stacked charges"? I just envision one bullet
            > failing to fully exit the barrel due to the explosive force of the
            > charge venting through the hole in it, then the next charge going off
            > behind. Don't think I'd want to be the poor bugger holding the gun when
            > the barrel explodes...
            >
            > ~Dale

            Actualy the biggest problem wiht the "Roman Candle" principle use in
            the Chamber's gun seems to have been that the fireing sequence in the
            multiple barrels would,for want of a better term, get "out of phase"
            and the weapon would shake itself to peices. Also, there is the
            obvious draw back that once you pull the trigger the weapon continues
            to fire until al the charges are expended. There was no way to fire
            short bursts.

            As for the multi shot muskets, the version with two locks was a
            prototype. The production version had, as Mr. Pickles pointed out, a
            long tube beside the barrel which comunitcated the fire from priming
            pan to initial the initial charge. After fireing off the 11 stacked
            rounds the musket could be used as a normal single shot weapon by
            fliping a small lever above the pan which uncovered a standard vent
            hole beside the priming pan.

            Ed B.
          • Dale Kidd
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 3 3:25 AM
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
              wrote:
              I also know that even Mr. Colt's esteemed weapons, at
              > least in the days before metal cartridge casings,
              occasionally "gang
              > fired", with all chambers going off at once or in very quick
              > succession.

              This was properly termed a "chain-fire", and was indeed a relatively
              common occurrence in Col. Colt's early blackpowder revolvers. The
              proper way to avoid this was to seal the open ends of the cylinder
              chambers with a wad and/or a layer of grease ahead of the ball.

              There is a very humorous, and supposedly true, story of a misfire of
              this type happening to none other than the infamous William "Billy
              the Kid" Bonney early in his gunfighting career. Apparently, Bonney
              got into an argument with a cowboy in a saloon, and while his
              adversary was momentarily distracted, drew his revolver and tried to
              shoot him in the back (as was the Kid's modus operandi). On this
              occasion, however, instead of adding another notch to his sixgun,
              Bonney's revolver chain-fired and blew itself apart in his hand. To
              add further insult to injury, the would-be target of the young outlaw
              took considerable umbrage at his intention, and proceeded to beat the
              Kid to a bloody pulp.

              Off topic, but interesting none the less.

              ~Dale