Re: [War Of 1812] Chamber's Repeating Gun - Was Puckle Gun

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
      In a message dated 2/1/2008 6:37:16 AM Central Standard Time,
      petemonahan@... writes:

      I believe you have hit on one reason, most probably the main reason,
      why Puckle guns and other such arcane ordanance were, mercifully, not
      used for very long or in any great numbers: a shortage of really dumb
      shooters! :7)

      --------------------------------------

      Actualy the danger was far less withe Puckle gun because it had a series of
      revolving chambers. One of the main reasons it wasn't adopted was that the
      design was far ahead of the technology of the time and it cost a fortune. I
      think I am right in saying that the one in the Tower collection which was the
      sample sibmited to the Board of Ordinence, is the only one ever made!

    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
        In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

        Actualy the danger was far less withe Puckle gun because it had a
        series of revolving chambers. One of the main reasons it wasn't
        adopted was that the design was far ahead of the technology of the
        time and it cost a fortune...

        Far be it from me to disagree with your learned self, sir. However,
        I believe most early "revolving chamber" had a disconcerting habit of
        spitting flame in all directions around imperfectly sealed chamber-to-
        barrel seals. I also know that even Mr. Colt's esteemed weapons, at
        least in the days before metal cartridge casings, occasionally "gang
        fired", with all chambers going off at once or in very quick
        succession.

        Perhaps this is the technological gap to which you refer: an
        inability to cast and machine parts to the tolerances necessary to
        ensure proper seals? In any event, it seems that, like many "super
        weapons", these experiments were indeed "ahead of their time".

        Most respectfully, sir
        Peter Monahan
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
          In a message dated 2/1/2008 9:10:28 AM Central Standard Time,
          petemonahan@... writes:

          Far be it from me to disagree with your learned self, sir. However,
          I believe most early "revolving chamber" had a disconcerting habit of
          spitting flame in all directions around imperfectly sealed chamber-to-
          barrel seals. I also know that even Mr. Colt's esteemed weapons, at
          least in the days before metal cartridge casings, occasionally "gang
          fired", with all chambers going off at once or in very quick
          succession.

          That was certainly a posibility but actualy far less with the Puckle gun as
          the brass chambers holding the charge did not just line up with the barrel,
          they screwed into it. The crank handle first unscrewed the camber then moved
          the revolving block so that the next chamber could be placed oposite the
          breach. Then the crank was turned in the oposite direction to screw the loaded
          chamber into the barel. So as long as the screw threads engaged properly there
          should be no imperfect chamber to barrel seal.

          Cheers,

          48)

        • peter monahan
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
            Clearly, I did not look at the illustration closely enough!

            I retire, sir, bloodied but unbowed, before your superior logic and
            expertise !

            PM
          • Gordon Deans
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
              I believe that the real failure of the Puckle Gun could be attributed
              to the fact that the gunner had to load the round bullets into the
              round chambers and the square bullets into the square chambers and to
              remember when to use which. Something about the lack of natural
              intelligence.

              Gord Deans.

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 2, 2008
                "Dale Kidd" <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:

                > Is it just me, or is there a very real danger with the so-called "Roman
                > candle principle of stacked charges"? I just envision one bullet
                > failing to fully exit the barrel due to the explosive force of the
                > charge venting through the hole in it, then the next charge going off
                > behind. Don't think I'd want to be the poor bugger holding the gun when
                > the barrel explodes...
                >
                > ~Dale

                Actualy the biggest problem wiht the "Roman Candle" principle use in
                the Chamber's gun seems to have been that the fireing sequence in the
                multiple barrels would,for want of a better term, get "out of phase"
                and the weapon would shake itself to peices. Also, there is the
                obvious draw back that once you pull the trigger the weapon continues
                to fire until al the charges are expended. There was no way to fire
                short bursts.

                As for the multi shot muskets, the version with two locks was a
                prototype. The production version had, as Mr. Pickles pointed out, a
                long tube beside the barrel which comunitcated the fire from priming
                pan to initial the initial charge. After fireing off the 11 stacked
                rounds the musket could be used as a normal single shot weapon by
                fliping a small lever above the pan which uncovered a standard vent
                hole beside the priming pan.

                Ed B.
              • Dale Kidd
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 3, 2008
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
                  wrote:
                  I also know that even Mr. Colt's esteemed weapons, at
                  > least in the days before metal cartridge casings,
                  occasionally "gang
                  > fired", with all chambers going off at once or in very quick
                  > succession.

                  This was properly termed a "chain-fire", and was indeed a relatively
                  common occurrence in Col. Colt's early blackpowder revolvers. The
                  proper way to avoid this was to seal the open ends of the cylinder
                  chambers with a wad and/or a layer of grease ahead of the ball.

                  There is a very humorous, and supposedly true, story of a misfire of
                  this type happening to none other than the infamous William "Billy
                  the Kid" Bonney early in his gunfighting career. Apparently, Bonney
                  got into an argument with a cowboy in a saloon, and while his
                  adversary was momentarily distracted, drew his revolver and tried to
                  shoot him in the back (as was the Kid's modus operandi). On this
                  occasion, however, instead of adding another notch to his sixgun,
                  Bonney's revolver chain-fired and blew itself apart in his hand. To
                  add further insult to injury, the would-be target of the young outlaw
                  took considerable umbrage at his intention, and proceeded to beat the
                  Kid to a bloody pulp.

                  Off topic, but interesting none the less.

                  ~Dale