Re: [War Of 1812] Re: painful cross post: Trade Gun

  • Angela Gottfred
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
      My husband owns and shoots a North Star West trade gun. I shared your post
      with him, and he was quite puzzled by your problem. (His usual load is 60
      grains of FF.) He also knows a number of other trade gun shooters and hasn't
      heard of any complaints of this nature from them. His only suggestion is
      that you file down any sharp edges that might be causing problems.

      Some people have suggested modifying the trigger and trigger guard; however,
      the oversize trigger guard is one of the hallmarks of the Northwest trade
      gun design. Someone else suggested that your hand might be too large for
      this design, but my husband also has quite large hands, so I strongly doubt
      that this is the problem.

      Your humble & obedient servant,
      Angela Gottfred
    • J.Bruce Whittaker
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
        I have been shooting blackpowder since I was 17. It does not make me
        an expert by any means but I would hazard a guess that it may be the
        way you are gripping your gun. Live loads do pack more of a punch than
        reenactor rounds. I wouldn't want to see you modify the trigger guard
        in any way just hold it tighter and lean into it maybe. Best of luck.
        Regards,
        Bruce Whittaker