War of 1812 in the news

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 29, 2008
      Good Morning

      The front page of the Toronto Star (daily newspaper of the center of
      the universe) is headlined:

      "$8,186,920,000 That's what the city proposes to spend on its 'modest'
      budget"
      Underneath is a column labelled "WHERE THE MONEY GOES" and the first
      three items, presumably in order of inportance are: $798.3 million for
      [policing]; 202.3 million for the TTC and $25,000 "to begin planning
      for events marking bicentennial of War of 1812". Accompanying the text
      is a 1" x 2" depiction of a blue-faced British soldier taken, I think,
      from a plate by Rene Chartrand.

      F.Y.I.

      Peter Monahan, RNR
    • Ian Gardner
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 8, 2008
        Ah well, I'll let you off with just a look askance this time. But next
        time, it might well be a Charles Willcocks/Joseph Willcocks brouhaha and
        that could get ugly. :-)

        Ian