[War Of 1812] Single-barreled flintlock gun fired nine shots per minute using square bullets

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
      Puckle Gun - 1718
      In 1718, James Puckle of London, England, demonstrated his new
      invention, the "Puckle Gun," a tripod-mounted, single-barreled
      flintlock gun fitted with a multishot revolving cylinder. This weapon
      fired nine shots per minute at a time when the standard soldier's
      musket could be loaded and fired but three times per minute. Puckle
      demonstrated two versions of the basic design. One weapon, intended
      for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets,
      while the second variant, designed to be used against the Muslim
      Turks, fired square bullets, which were believed to cause more severe
      and painful wounds than spherical projectiles.

      The "Puckle Gun" failed to attract investors and never achieved mass
      production or sales to the British armed forces. One newspaper of the
      period observed following the business venture's failure that "the
      only wounded are those who hold shares therein."
      James Puckle's 1718 patent for a gun was one of the first to provide a
      description.

      Gord Deans.
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28, 2008
        Tres cool! Here is what it looked like.

        http://www.wedmore.org.uk/puckle/James.htm

        KW/89

        >From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>

        >Puckle Gun - 1718
        >In 1718, James Puckle of London, England, demonstrated his new
        >invention, the "Puckle Gun," a tripod-mounted, single-barreled
        >flintlock gun fitted with a multishot revolving cylinder. This weapon
        >fired nine shots per minute at a time when the standard soldier's
        >musket could be loaded and fired but three times per minute. Puckle
        >demonstrated two versions of the basic design. One weapon, intended
        >for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets,
        >while the second variant, designed to be used against the Muslim
        >Turks, fired square bullets, which were believed to cause more severe
        >and painful wounds than spherical projectiles.
        >
        >The "Puckle Gun" failed to attract investors and never achieved mass
        >production or sales to the British armed forces. One newspaper of the
        >period observed following the business venture's failure that "the
        >only wounded are those who hold shares therein."
        >James Puckle's 1718 patent for a gun was one of the first to provide a
        >description.
        >
        >Gord Deans.
      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 28, 2008
          Shame it never became commonplace. One of these things blasting away
          from the bow of a longboat approaching a contested beachhead would look
          (and sound) pretty bloody spectacular. Even better, a pair of them in
          the waist of a larger (ie. 40 ft.) armed launch replacing the swivel
          guns, with a serious gun in the bows.

          ~Dale

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>
          wrote:

          > Tres cool! Here is what it looked like.
        • Colin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2008
            Perhaps, When the time comes, we may yet get to see the
            American "Capstan Gun" (7 banded barell Chambers gun that was on board
            Old Ironsides in 1815) reproduced. Anyone have any Bess barells laying
            around?????

            I'm sure the Navy would love to see us drag that on board with us
            for "a little interpretation"

            YHOS
            COlin Murphy
            USS CON 1812 MG
            USMC-HC

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 29, 2008
              Thanks, Kevin.

              When I read about a Frenchman having a revolver pistol during the War
              of 1812, I suspected a hoax until I did some research and discovered
              the Puckle Gun from a hundred years earlier. But when it mentioned
              square bullets for Turks, I thought it was another hoax.

              Thanks to your link and the picture and Tim's comment, I can rest
              assured that it did exist and did work.

              Gord Deans.

              >In 1718, James Puckle of London, England, demonstrated his new
              >invention, the "Puckle Gun," a tripod-mounted, single-barreled
              >flintlock gun fitted with a multishot revolving cylinder. This weapon
              >fired nine shots per minute at a time when the standard soldier's
              >musket could be loaded and fired but three times per minute. Puckle
              >demonstrated two versions of the basic design. One weapon, intended
              >for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets,
              >while the second variant, designed to be used against the Muslim
              >Turks, fired square bullets, which were believed to cause more severe
              >and painful wounds than spherical projectiles.
              >
              >The "Puckle Gun" failed to attract investors and never achieved mass
              >production or sales to the British armed forces. One newspaper of the
              >period observed following the business venture's failure that "the
              >only wounded are those who hold shares therein."
              >James Puckle's 1718 patent for a gun was one of the first to provide
              >description.
              >
              >Gord Deans.
            • D. W. Stallone
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
                Do you have a link for this? I'd really like to learn more about it.

                Your humble &tc.
                D.W.Stallone
                SC
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <usmarine1814@...> wrote:

                > Perhaps, When the time comes, we may yet get to see the
                > American "Capstan Gun" (7 banded barell Chambers gun that was on board
                > Old Ironsides in 1815) reproduced. Anyone have any Bess barells laying
                > around?????
                >
                > I'm sure the Navy would love to see us drag that on board with us
                > for "a little interpretation"
                >
                > YHOS
                > COlin Murphy
                > USS CON 1812 MG
                > USMC-HC
              • Vince Wilding
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
                  Google "puckle gun".

                  From: "D. W. Stallone" <stallone.don@...>

                  Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:42:13
                  To:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [War Of 1812] Re: Single-barreled flintlock gun fired nine shots per minute using square bulle

                  Do you have a link for this? I'd really like to learn more about it.

                  Your humble &tc.
                  D.W.Stallone
                  SC
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <usmarine1814@...> wrote:

                  > Perhaps, When the time comes, we may yet get to see the
                  > American "Capstan Gun" (7 banded barell Chambers gun that was on board
                  > Old Ironsides in 1815) reproduced. Anyone have any Bess barells laying
                  > around?????
                  >
                  > I'm sure the Navy would love to see us drag that on board with us
                  > for "a little interpretation"
                  >
                  > YHOS
                  > COlin Murphy
                  > USS CON 1812 MG
                  > USMC-HC

                  War of 1812 Living History:
                  A wide-ranging information exchange
                  for all participants and supporters

                  Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                  http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                  American Forces Unit Listing
                  http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                  WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • D. W. Stallone
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2008
                    No, dude :-) I'm referring to the, 'American "Capstan Gun" (7 banded
                    barell Chambers gun that was on board Old Ironsides in 1815),' in the
                    email I was responding to (see below).

                    Your obedient and humble servant,
                    D.W.Stallone

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Wilding" <vince@...> wrote:

                    > Google "puckle gun".

                    > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <usmarine1814@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Perhaps, When the time comes, we may yet get to see the
                    > > American "Capstan Gun" (7 banded barell Chambers gun that was on
                    board
                    > > Old Ironsides in 1815) reproduced. Anyone have any Bess barells
                    laying
                    > > around?????
                    > >
                    > > I'm sure the Navy would love to see us drag that on board with us
                    > > for "a little interpretation"
                    > >
                    > > YHOS
                    > > COlin Murphy
                    > > USS CON 1812 MG
                    > > USMC-HC
                    >

                    > War of 1812 Living History:
                    > A wide-ranging information exchange
                    > for all participants and supporters

                    > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                    > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                    > American Forces Unit Listing
                    > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
                    >
                    > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Colin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2008
                      D.W.
                      There is no link I know of about the 7 barell Chamber's Gun. The
                      info I got came from the Boarders Away books, a couple of
                      other "history of firearms" books, which names I cant remember as
                      well as some primary research.

                      Best bet...Boarders Away

                      THOS
                      Colin Murphy