Robbie Burns' Day

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2008
      List:
      To all on the list who have the slightest amount of Scottish blood
      running through their veins I send greetings on this Robbie Burns' Day,
      2008.
      Have a good one!
      I offer something which I have sent out before, but is worth repeating
      on this day. In 1804 the British Government contemplated abandoning the
      kilt for Scottish Regiments. Here is the response from Colonel Alan
      Cameron of the 79th Highlanders. He praised the kilt and its:

      "...free congenial circulation of pure wholesome air (as an
      exhilarating native bracer) which has hitherto so peculiarly benefitted
      the Highlander for activity, and all other necessary qualities of the
      soldier, whether for hardship upon scanty fare, readiness in
      accoutring, or making forced marches & c., beside the exclusive
      advatage, when halted of drenching his kilt & c., in the next brook, as
      well as washing his limbs, and drying both as it were, by constant
      fanning, without injury to either, but on the contrary, feeling clean
      and comfortable."

      Yrs etc.
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt.
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2008
        Slainte!

        Craig

      • JGIL1812@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2008
          Ray,

          Here, here! Anything for a glass of port and Scotland.

          JG/RE

          48)

        • Ross Flowers
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2008
            Aye Ray and to all those with the slightest amount of scotch in
            their blood :-), Here's to you!

            Slainte
            "Drums"

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

            > List:
            > To all on the list who have the slightest amount of Scottish blood
            > running through their veins I send greetings on this Robbie Burns'
            Day,
            > 2008.
            > Have a good one!
            > I offer something which I have sent out before, but is worth
            repeating
            > on this day. In 1804 the British Government contemplated
            abandoning the
            > kilt for Scottish Regiments. Here is the response from Colonel
            Alan
            > Cameron of the 79th Highlanders. He praised the kilt and its:
            >
            > "...free congenial circulation of pure wholesome air (as an
            > exhilarating native bracer) which has hitherto so peculiarly
            benefitted
            > the Highlander for activity, and all other necessary qualities of
            the
            > soldier, whether for hardship upon scanty fare, readiness in
            > accoutring, or making forced marches & c., beside the exclusive
            > advatage, when halted of drenching his kilt & c., in the next
            brook, as
            > well as washing his limbs, and drying both as it were, by constant
            > fanning, without injury to either, but on the contrary, feeling
            clean
            > and comfortable."
            >
            > Yrs etc.
            > Ray Hobbs
            > 41st Regt.

          • Ross Flowers
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 25, 2008
              Aye, as long as the port is from the house of Graham:-)

              "Drums"

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

              > Ray,
              >
              > Here, here! Anything for a glass of port and Scotland.
              >
              > JG/RE
              >

              > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
              Music.
              > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
              NCID=aolcmp003000000025
              > 48)

            • Vince Wilding
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 25, 2008
                This is how we celebrate Burns Nicht in Maryland:

                http://www.WincingDevil.com/BurnsNicht08/

                --
                Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow
                Web Page: www.WincingDevil.com

[...]

                War of 1812 Living History:
                A wide-ranging information exchange
                for all participants and supporters

                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                American Forces Unit Listing
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Bob Dorian
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 25, 2008
                  Today, most who are of Scotch descent will certainly have Scotch in their blood! ;^D

                  Bob
                  [Who has the rest of the UK, but no Scotch.]