Re: [War Of 1812] Manual of Arms

  • roy winders
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2008
      Large print for me please

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: bob.blakeley <bob.blakeley@...>
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:58:47 AM
      Subject: [War Of 1812] Manual of Arms

      The Norfok Mercantile, publisher of The Civilian Soldier, A Complete
      History of the Norfolk Militia, 1796 to 2007, The War of 1812 Calendar-
      Book of Days, and Hysterical Re-enacting, would be very interested in
      publishing a Manual of Arms for War of 1812 Re-enactors.
      Can anyone suggest the best original source for this material? We would
      want to reprint it in the original style, not the PDF version, and the
      same size as the original.
      Our thinking is it should be hard cover, to put up with the rigours of
      battle, available to all, in the most historically correct form we can
      manage.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      Bob Blakeley

    • philgarringer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2008
        Pleez rite slo cuz menny of us hav tubble reeding fast...

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "bob.blakeley" <bob.blakeley@...>
        wrote:

        > The Norfok Mercantile, publisher of The Civilian Soldier, A
        Complete
        > History of the Norfolk Militia, 1796 to 2007, The War of 1812
        Calendar-
        > Book of Days, and Hysterical Re-enacting, would be very interested
        in
        > publishing a Manual of Arms for War of 1812 Re-enactors.
        > Can anyone suggest the best original source for this material? We
        would
        > want to reprint it in the original style, not the PDF version, and
        the
        > same size as the original.
        > Our thinking is it should be hard cover, to put up with the
        rigours of
        > battle, available to all, in the most historically correct form we
        can
        > manage.
        > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        > Bob Blakeley

      • Raoul
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
          Hello,
          Anyone know if this reenactors drill manual ever got published?
          Raoul Mallalieu
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "bob.blakeley" <bob.blakeley@...> wrote:

          > The Norfok Mercantile, publisher of The Civilian Soldier, A Complete
          > History of the Norfolk Militia, 1796 to 2007, The War of 1812 Calendar-
          > Book of Days, and Hysterical Re-enacting, would be very interested in
          > publishing a Manual of Arms for War of 1812 Re-enactors.
          > Can anyone suggest the best original source for this material? We would
          > want to reprint it in the original style, not the PDF version, and the
          > same size as the original.
          > Our thinking is it should be hard cover, to put up with the rigours of
          > battle, available to all, in the most historically correct form we can
          > manage.
          > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
          > Bob Blakeley

        • kell
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2013
            Raoul
            As a member of the Norfolk Militia and a good friend of Bob Blakeley,
            as far as I know he did not publish any book about the drill of this
            time period. As a unit we practice using the 5th Lincoln Militia Manual
            of Arms. We also us our drill that was used by the Norfolk's in 1811, It
            is only 3 pages long and gives us a look into the past. It does not give
            any reference to where it was taken from but it does refer to the musket
            as a fire-lock witch indicates that it is from an older drill manual.

            The Norfolk's also used the
            REGULATIONS for the EXERCISE OF RIFLEMEN and LIGHT INFANTRY and
            INSTRUCTIONS FOR THEIR CONDUCT IN THE FIELD 1799 I do not know how many
            different ones are being used but these are the ones we try and work with.

            Kell Svenningsen
            Chairperson
            Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment