Re: British Drill Manual

  • Dave Westhouse
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
      He did.

      I suggested he introduce himself to the list and ask if there
      actually was a reprint copy of the drill manual we use to purchase.
      Maybe someone had found a place for them or already exhausted the
      research and found that there wasn't. We do have the manual on our
      website and it can be printed from there but an actual book is
      sometimes far nicer.

      Doug has been at it for a while and we referred him to this list to
      read more and see what others are saying. Hopefully it's constructive.

      Dave Westhouse,
      1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.

      British Drill Manual

      Doug:

      I suggest you contact

      1st (Royal Scots) Regt
      Grenadier Company
      Hal Dennison
      hdennison (at) rogers.com

      He will tell you what you need to know

      All unit Commanders and NCOs are encouraged to attend the Crown Forces
      School of Instruction held yearly at Fort York. They then return to
      their Units and teach the correct drill to them.

      The Drill currently being used by the Crown Forces North America is
      the "Regimental Companion for 1811"

      The drill manual is available for download in PDF format from
      http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com
      in the links section under Muskets and Drill.

      Hope this helps

      Yrs.,
      L2

      Doug Clark wrote:

      British Drill Manual

      My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
      Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
      is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
      with American Civil War since 2000.

      I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
      (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
      bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
      copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
      the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
      and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
      manuals themselves.

      many thanks,
      Doug Clark
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
        Better check the website L2. The pdf version that is on the site is Rules
        and Regs 1816 (though it's identical to 1811 and 1834!) and I do believe
        that is what he said he had.

        KW/89

        _____

        .

        http://www.royalsco <http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com> tsgrenadiers.com

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 10, 2008
          Mr. Windsor

          Being a member of the 1st (Royal Scots) Regt. (Grenadier Company)

          I am sure Mr. Dennison (his Commander) will teach the soldier the
          correct drill

          Yrs.,
          L2

          --- "Kevin Windsor" wrote:

          Better check the website L2. The pdf version that is on the site is
          Rules and Regs 1816 (though it's identical to 1811 and 1834!) and I
          do believe that is what he said he had.

          KW/89
        • sgtsalmo
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 11, 2008
            Kevin:

            Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
            sucker for hard bound books.

            I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
            his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
            just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
            enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
            sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.

            Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
            later?

            Doug

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
            <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

            > Hi Doug and welcome to the ranks of the grannies! (Too bad you
            had to join
            > a lower numbered Grenadier company!)
            >

            > As for the drill manual, it would be more authentic for you to NOT
            have one
            > (though they are great things to have!).
            >

            > As a private you would either not know how to read (unless of
            course you
            > were in the 93rd ~smart guys, they wear trews! ~) or, if you
            could, wouldn't
            > be trusted to be able to interpret the contents without
            instructions from
            > your serjeants! (and you wouldn't want to keep it in your
            haversack, that
            > is for food)
            >

            > With all of that being said, though, I would encourage you to get
            one! It
            > never hurts. The originals are not ~pocket~ sized, though, they
            are 5 1/4"
            > (W) x 8 ½" (L). If you are handy with book binding (or know
            someone who is)
            > Google books has a scanned copy of the 1807, you can print that
            off and bind
            > it. The original 1834 edition that I have at the Museum is
            grey/blue,
            > though my suspicion is that it was Prussian blue, ordinance blue
            (whatever
            > you want to call it).
            >

            > Hope this helps and drop by and meet the OTHER grenadiers at
            Longwoods!

            > Kevin Windsor
            >
            > Grenadier Coy, 89th Reg't
            >

            > _____
            >
            > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
            On Behalf
            > Of sgtsalmo
            >

            > My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st
            Royal
            > Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph.
            This
            > is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
            > with American Civil War since 2000.
            >
            > I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
            > (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor
            of a
            > bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket
            size
            > copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to
            while
            > the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information
            sponge
            > and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
            > manuals themselves.
            >
            > many thanks, Doug Clark

          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 11, 2008
              Not really the same drill, but it didn't really change much. They added a
              few things to it, but most of the wording is identical!
              BTW I have sent your Cpl a copy of the 1807 drill manual so bug him for it!!

              The King's Press http://www.kingspress.com/ doesn't sell it, but maybe if
              there was enough interest they would bind one?

              KW/89

              >From: "sgtsalmo" <sgtsalmo@...>
              >
              >Kevin:
              >
              >Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
              >sucker for hard bound books.
              >
              >I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
              >his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
              >just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
              >enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
              >sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.
              >
              >Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
              >later?
              >
              >Doug
            • MHS
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 13, 2008
                Dear Doug,

                McFarthingbowl's Re-enactment Supplies in Belgium sell a bound copy:

                Rules and Regulations for the Manual and Platoon Exercises,

                Formations, Field-Exercise, and Movements of His Majesty's

                Forces 1807. Facsimile ? 25,00

                Its not a period binding but officers would have had their copy bound professionally to withstand the rigours of campaign. It may not be historically correct for a private to posses one but you could always claim to have "liberated it from an Officer who no longer needed it" ;-)

                e-mail: info@...
                www.re-enactmentshop.com

                Mc Farthingbowl's
                Re-enactment Supplies
                Tel./fax: 0032 (0)14 716783
                Ravels, Belgium
                BTW/VAT: BE 501 480 102

                Mise le meas,
                Barry Walsh, Cpt. 86th Foot

                Barry Walsh
                86th (Leinster) Regiment of Foot
                Lord Edward's Own Re-enactment Group
                www.kildare.ie/monasterevin-historical-society/reenenactment
                e-mail: monhistsoc@...

                Doug Clark wrote:

                >My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
                >Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
                >is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                >with American Civil War since 2000.
                >
                >I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                >(1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
                >bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
                >copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
                >the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
                >and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                >manuals themselves.
                >
                >many thanks, Doug Clark

              • Dave Westhouse
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                  Thank you. That is what I believe we are looking for.

                  Dave Westhouse,
                  1st(Royal Scots) Regiment, Grenadier Co.
                  British North America.

                  Re:British Drill Manual