RE: [War Of 1812] British Drill Manual

  • Mark Bevis
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
      AND when i send an email to a yahoo group, this appears

      Free games, great prizes - get gaming at Gamesbox. http://www.searchgamesbox.com
      https://www.celebmashup.com

    • Kevin Garrett
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "sgtsalmo" <sgtsalmo@...> wrote:

        > My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st
        Royal
        > Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph.
        This
        > is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
        > with American Civil War since 2000.
        >
        > I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
        > (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor
        of a
        > bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket
        size
        > copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to
        while
        > the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information
        sponge
        > and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
        > manuals themselves.
        >
        > many thanks, Doug Clark

        Doug,

        Ya'll should ask your good buddy in unit QM for that first. Eric
        Molier has printed up a good version and I believe I have one to
        lend if you like!

        Kevin Garrett
        QM 1st Bn 1st Foot Gren Coy.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
          Doug:

          I suggest you contact

          1st (Royal Scots) Regt
          Grenadier Company
          Hal Dennison
          hdennison (at) rogers.com

          He will tell you what you need to know

          All unit Commanders and NCOs are encouraged to attend the Crown Forces
          School of Instruction held yearly at Fort York. They then return to
          their Units and teach the correct drill to them.

          The Drill currently being used by the Crown Forces North America is
          the "Regimental Companion for 1811"

          The drill manual is available for download in PDF format from
          http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com
          in the links section under Muskets and Drill.

          Hope this helps

          Yrs.,
          L2

          Doug Clark wrote:

          British Drill Manual

          My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
          Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
          is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
          with American Civil War since 2000.

          I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
          (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
          bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
          copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
          the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
          and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
          manuals themselves.

          many thanks,
          Doug Clark
        • Dave Westhouse
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
            He did.

            I suggested he introduce himself to the list and ask if there
            actually was a reprint copy of the drill manual we use to purchase.
            Maybe someone had found a place for them or already exhausted the
            research and found that there wasn't. We do have the manual on our
            website and it can be printed from there but an actual book is
            sometimes far nicer.

            Doug has been at it for a while and we referred him to this list to
            read more and see what others are saying. Hopefully it's constructive.

            Dave Westhouse,
            1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.

            British Drill Manual

            Doug:

            I suggest you contact

            1st (Royal Scots) Regt
            Grenadier Company
            Hal Dennison
            hdennison (at) rogers.com

            He will tell you what you need to know

            All unit Commanders and NCOs are encouraged to attend the Crown Forces
            School of Instruction held yearly at Fort York. They then return to
            their Units and teach the correct drill to them.

            The Drill currently being used by the Crown Forces North America is
            the "Regimental Companion for 1811"

            The drill manual is available for download in PDF format from
            http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com
            in the links section under Muskets and Drill.

            Hope this helps

            Yrs.,
            L2

            Doug Clark wrote:

            British Drill Manual

            My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
            Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
            is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
            with American Civil War since 2000.

            I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
            (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
            bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
            copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
            the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
            and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
            manuals themselves.

            many thanks,
            Doug Clark
          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
              Better check the website L2. The pdf version that is on the site is Rules
              and Regs 1816 (though it's identical to 1811 and 1834!) and I do believe
              that is what he said he had.

              KW/89

              _____

              .

              http://www.royalsco <http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com> tsgrenadiers.com

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 10, 2008
                Mr. Windsor

                Being a member of the 1st (Royal Scots) Regt. (Grenadier Company)

                I am sure Mr. Dennison (his Commander) will teach the soldier the
                correct drill

                Yrs.,
                L2

                --- "Kevin Windsor" wrote:

                Better check the website L2. The pdf version that is on the site is
                Rules and Regs 1816 (though it's identical to 1811 and 1834!) and I
                do believe that is what he said he had.

                KW/89
              • sgtsalmo
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 11, 2008
                  Kevin:

                  Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
                  sucker for hard bound books.

                  I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
                  his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
                  just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
                  enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
                  sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.

                  Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
                  later?

                  Doug

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
                  <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Doug and welcome to the ranks of the grannies! (Too bad you
                  had to join
                  > a lower numbered Grenadier company!)
                  >

                  > As for the drill manual, it would be more authentic for you to NOT
                  have one
                  > (though they are great things to have!).
                  >

                  > As a private you would either not know how to read (unless of
                  course you
                  > were in the 93rd ~smart guys, they wear trews! ~) or, if you
                  could, wouldn't
                  > be trusted to be able to interpret the contents without
                  instructions from
                  > your serjeants! (and you wouldn't want to keep it in your
                  haversack, that
                  > is for food)
                  >

                  > With all of that being said, though, I would encourage you to get
                  one! It
                  > never hurts. The originals are not ~pocket~ sized, though, they
                  are 5 1/4"
                  > (W) x 8 ½" (L). If you are handy with book binding (or know
                  someone who is)
                  > Google books has a scanned copy of the 1807, you can print that
                  off and bind
                  > it. The original 1834 edition that I have at the Museum is
                  grey/blue,
                  > though my suspicion is that it was Prussian blue, ordinance blue
                  (whatever
                  > you want to call it).
                  >

                  > Hope this helps and drop by and meet the OTHER grenadiers at
                  Longwoods!

                  > Kevin Windsor
                  >
                  > Grenadier Coy, 89th Reg't
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
                  On Behalf
                  > Of sgtsalmo
                  >

                  > My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st
                  Royal
                  > Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph.
                  This
                  > is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                  > with American Civil War since 2000.
                  >
                  > I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                  > (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor
                  of a
                  > bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket
                  size
                  > copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to
                  while
                  > the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information
                  sponge
                  > and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                  > manuals themselves.
                  >
                  > many thanks, Doug Clark

                • Kevin Windsor
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 11, 2008
                    Not really the same drill, but it didn't really change much. They added a
                    few things to it, but most of the wording is identical!
                    BTW I have sent your Cpl a copy of the 1807 drill manual so bug him for it!!

                    The King's Press http://www.kingspress.com/ doesn't sell it, but maybe if
                    there was enough interest they would bind one?

                    KW/89

                    >From: "sgtsalmo" <sgtsalmo@...>
                    >
                    >Kevin:
                    >
                    >Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
                    >sucker for hard bound books.
                    >
                    >I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
                    >his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
                    >just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
                    >enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
                    >sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.
                    >
                    >Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
                    >later?
                    >
                    >Doug
                  • MHS
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 13, 2008
                      Dear Doug,

                      McFarthingbowl's Re-enactment Supplies in Belgium sell a bound copy:

                      Rules and Regulations for the Manual and Platoon Exercises,

                      Formations, Field-Exercise, and Movements of His Majesty's

                      Forces 1807. Facsimile ? 25,00

                      Its not a period binding but officers would have had their copy bound professionally to withstand the rigours of campaign. It may not be historically correct for a private to posses one but you could always claim to have "liberated it from an Officer who no longer needed it" ;-)

                      e-mail: info@...
                      www.re-enactmentshop.com

                      Mc Farthingbowl's
                      Re-enactment Supplies
                      Tel./fax: 0032 (0)14 716783
                      Ravels, Belgium
                      BTW/VAT: BE 501 480 102

                      Mise le meas,
                      Barry Walsh, Cpt. 86th Foot

                      Barry Walsh
                      86th (Leinster) Regiment of Foot
                      Lord Edward's Own Re-enactment Group
                      www.kildare.ie/monasterevin-historical-society/reenenactment
                      e-mail: monhistsoc@...

                      Doug Clark wrote:

                      >My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
                      >Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
                      >is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                      >with American Civil War since 2000.
                      >
                      >I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                      >(1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
                      >bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
                      >copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
                      >the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
                      >and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                      >manuals themselves.
                      >
                      >many thanks, Doug Clark

                    • Dave Westhouse
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                        Thank you. That is what I believe we are looking for.

                        Dave Westhouse,
                        1st(Royal Scots) Regiment, Grenadier Co.
                        British North America.

                        Re:British Drill Manual