RE: [War Of 1812] British Drill Manual

  • Mark Bevis
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
      anyone know about this: **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489 it is appearing on all the emails i receive from several yahoo groups, this or another one about celebreties. Is it Yahoo that has been hijacked, or my pc?Mark Bevis
    • Mark Bevis
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
        AND when i send an email to a yahoo group, this appears

        Free games, great prizes - get gaming at Gamesbox. http://www.searchgamesbox.com
        https://www.celebmashup.com

      • Kevin Garrett
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "sgtsalmo" <sgtsalmo@...> wrote:

          > My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st
          Royal
          > Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph.
          This
          > is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
          > with American Civil War since 2000.
          >
          > I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
          > (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor
          of a
          > bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket
          size
          > copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to
          while
          > the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information
          sponge
          > and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
          > manuals themselves.
          >
          > many thanks, Doug Clark

          Doug,

          Ya'll should ask your good buddy in unit QM for that first. Eric
          Molier has printed up a good version and I believe I have one to
          lend if you like!

          Kevin Garrett
          QM 1st Bn 1st Foot Gren Coy.
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
            Doug:

            I suggest you contact

            1st (Royal Scots) Regt
            Grenadier Company
            Hal Dennison
            hdennison (at) rogers.com

            He will tell you what you need to know

            All unit Commanders and NCOs are encouraged to attend the Crown Forces
            School of Instruction held yearly at Fort York. They then return to
            their Units and teach the correct drill to them.

            The Drill currently being used by the Crown Forces North America is
            the "Regimental Companion for 1811"

            The drill manual is available for download in PDF format from
            http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com
            in the links section under Muskets and Drill.

            Hope this helps

            Yrs.,
            L2

            Doug Clark wrote:

            British Drill Manual

            My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
            Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
            is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
            with American Civil War since 2000.

            I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
            (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
            bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
            copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
            the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
            and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
            manuals themselves.

            many thanks,
            Doug Clark
          • Dave Westhouse
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
              He did.

              I suggested he introduce himself to the list and ask if there
              actually was a reprint copy of the drill manual we use to purchase.
              Maybe someone had found a place for them or already exhausted the
              research and found that there wasn't. We do have the manual on our
              website and it can be printed from there but an actual book is
              sometimes far nicer.

              Doug has been at it for a while and we referred him to this list to
              read more and see what others are saying. Hopefully it's constructive.

              Dave Westhouse,
              1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.

              British Drill Manual

              Doug:

              I suggest you contact

              1st (Royal Scots) Regt
              Grenadier Company
              Hal Dennison
              hdennison (at) rogers.com

              He will tell you what you need to know

              All unit Commanders and NCOs are encouraged to attend the Crown Forces
              School of Instruction held yearly at Fort York. They then return to
              their Units and teach the correct drill to them.

              The Drill currently being used by the Crown Forces North America is
              the "Regimental Companion for 1811"

              The drill manual is available for download in PDF format from
              http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com
              in the links section under Muskets and Drill.

              Hope this helps

              Yrs.,
              L2

              Doug Clark wrote:

              British Drill Manual

              My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
              Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
              is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
              with American Civil War since 2000.

              I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
              (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
              bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
              copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
              the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
              and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
              manuals themselves.

              many thanks,
              Doug Clark
            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                Better check the website L2. The pdf version that is on the site is Rules
                and Regs 1816 (though it's identical to 1811 and 1834!) and I do believe
                that is what he said he had.

                KW/89

                _____

                .

                http://www.royalsco <http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com> tsgrenadiers.com

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 10, 2008
                  Mr. Windsor

                  Being a member of the 1st (Royal Scots) Regt. (Grenadier Company)

                  I am sure Mr. Dennison (his Commander) will teach the soldier the
                  correct drill

                  Yrs.,
                  L2

                  --- "Kevin Windsor" wrote:

                  Better check the website L2. The pdf version that is on the site is
                  Rules and Regs 1816 (though it's identical to 1811 and 1834!) and I
                  do believe that is what he said he had.

                  KW/89
                • sgtsalmo
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 11, 2008
                    Kevin:

                    Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
                    sucker for hard bound books.

                    I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
                    his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
                    just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
                    enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
                    sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.

                    Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
                    later?

                    Doug

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
                    <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Doug and welcome to the ranks of the grannies! (Too bad you
                    had to join
                    > a lower numbered Grenadier company!)
                    >

                    > As for the drill manual, it would be more authentic for you to NOT
                    have one
                    > (though they are great things to have!).
                    >

                    > As a private you would either not know how to read (unless of
                    course you
                    > were in the 93rd ~smart guys, they wear trews! ~) or, if you
                    could, wouldn't
                    > be trusted to be able to interpret the contents without
                    instructions from
                    > your serjeants! (and you wouldn't want to keep it in your
                    haversack, that
                    > is for food)
                    >

                    > With all of that being said, though, I would encourage you to get
                    one! It
                    > never hurts. The originals are not ~pocket~ sized, though, they
                    are 5 1/4"
                    > (W) x 8 ½" (L). If you are handy with book binding (or know
                    someone who is)
                    > Google books has a scanned copy of the 1807, you can print that
                    off and bind
                    > it. The original 1834 edition that I have at the Museum is
                    grey/blue,
                    > though my suspicion is that it was Prussian blue, ordinance blue
                    (whatever
                    > you want to call it).
                    >

                    > Hope this helps and drop by and meet the OTHER grenadiers at
                    Longwoods!

                    > Kevin Windsor
                    >
                    > Grenadier Coy, 89th Reg't
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
                    On Behalf
                    > Of sgtsalmo
                    >

                    > My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st
                    Royal
                    > Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph.
                    This
                    > is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                    > with American Civil War since 2000.
                    >
                    > I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                    > (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor
                    of a
                    > bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket
                    size
                    > copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to
                    while
                    > the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information
                    sponge
                    > and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                    > manuals themselves.
                    >
                    > many thanks, Doug Clark

                  • Kevin Windsor
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 11, 2008
                      Not really the same drill, but it didn't really change much. They added a
                      few things to it, but most of the wording is identical!
                      BTW I have sent your Cpl a copy of the 1807 drill manual so bug him for it!!

                      The King's Press http://www.kingspress.com/ doesn't sell it, but maybe if
                      there was enough interest they would bind one?

                      KW/89

                      >From: "sgtsalmo" <sgtsalmo@...>
                      >
                      >Kevin:
                      >
                      >Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
                      >sucker for hard bound books.
                      >
                      >I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
                      >his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
                      >just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
                      >enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
                      >sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.
                      >
                      >Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
                      >later?
                      >
                      >Doug
                    • MHS
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 13, 2008
                        Dear Doug,

                        McFarthingbowl's Re-enactment Supplies in Belgium sell a bound copy:

                        Rules and Regulations for the Manual and Platoon Exercises,

                        Formations, Field-Exercise, and Movements of His Majesty's

                        Forces 1807. Facsimile ? 25,00

                        Its not a period binding but officers would have had their copy bound professionally to withstand the rigours of campaign. It may not be historically correct for a private to posses one but you could always claim to have "liberated it from an Officer who no longer needed it" ;-)

                        e-mail: info@...
                        www.re-enactmentshop.com

                        Mc Farthingbowl's
                        Re-enactment Supplies
                        Tel./fax: 0032 (0)14 716783
                        Ravels, Belgium
                        BTW/VAT: BE 501 480 102

                        Mise le meas,
                        Barry Walsh, Cpt. 86th Foot

                        Barry Walsh
                        86th (Leinster) Regiment of Foot
                        Lord Edward's Own Re-enactment Group
                        www.kildare.ie/monasterevin-historical-society/reenenactment
                        e-mail: monhistsoc@...

                        Doug Clark wrote:

                        >My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
                        >Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
                        >is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                        >with American Civil War since 2000.
                        >
                        >I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                        >(1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
                        >bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
                        >copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
                        >the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
                        >and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                        >manuals themselves.
                        >
                        >many thanks, Doug Clark

                      • Dave Westhouse
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                          Thank you. That is what I believe we are looking for.

                          Dave Westhouse,
                          1st(Royal Scots) Regiment, Grenadier Co.
                          British North America.

                          Re:British Drill Manual