British Drill Manual

  • sgtsalmo
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
      My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
      Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
      is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
      with American Civil War since 2000.

      I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
      (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
      bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
      copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
      the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
      and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
      manuals themselves.

      many thanks, Doug Clark
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
        Hi Doug and welcome to the ranks of the grannies! (Too bad you had to join
        a lower numbered Grenadier company!)

        As for the drill manual, it would be more authentic for you to NOT have one
        (though they are great things to have!).

        As a private you would either not know how to read (unless of course you
        were in the 93rd ~smart guys, they wear trews! ~) or, if you could, wouldn’t
        be trusted to be able to interpret the contents without instructions from
        your serjeants! (and you wouldn’t want to keep it in your haversack, that
        is for food)

        With all of that being said, though, I would encourage you to get one! It
        never hurts. The originals are not ~pocket~ sized, though, they are 5 1/4”
        (W) x 8 ½” (L). If you are handy with book binding (or know someone who is)
        Google books has a scanned copy of the 1807, you can print that off and bind
        it. The original 1834 edition that I have at the Museum is grey/blue,
        though my suspicion is that it was Prussian blue, ordinance blue (whatever
        you want to call it).

        Hope this helps and drop by and meet the OTHER grenadiers at Longwoods!

        Kevin Windsor

        Grenadier Coy, 89th Reg’t

        _____

        From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        Of sgtsalmo

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
          In a message dated 1/9/2008 9:54:28 AM Central Standard Time,
          kevin.windsor@... writes:

          The original 1834 edition that I have at the Museum is grey/blue,
          though my suspicion is that it was Prussian blue, ordinance blue (whatever
          you want to call it).

          -----------------

          I have several late 18th, early 19th century manuals and the original
          bindings (from edgertons) are a blue-gray paper for the boards with a light
          gray/white paper spine and white printed label on the spine. Obviously the idea was
          the officer would (naturaly) take the volume to his binder and havit leather
          bound to match the other books in his library or have a more substantial
          binding done for use on service. I have both full and half leather bindings of
          this sort.

        • Mark Bevis
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
            anyone know about this: **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489 it is appearing on all the emails i receive from several yahoo groups, this or another one about celebreties. Is it Yahoo that has been hijacked, or my pc?Mark Bevis
          • Mark Bevis
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
              AND when i send an email to a yahoo group, this appears

              Free games, great prizes - get gaming at Gamesbox. http://www.searchgamesbox.com
              https://www.celebmashup.com

            • Kevin Garrett
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "sgtsalmo" <sgtsalmo@...> wrote:

                > My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st
                Royal
                > Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph.
                This
                > is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                > with American Civil War since 2000.
                >
                > I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                > (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor
                of a
                > bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket
                size
                > copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to
                while
                > the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information
                sponge
                > and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                > manuals themselves.
                >
                > many thanks, Doug Clark

                Doug,

                Ya'll should ask your good buddy in unit QM for that first. Eric
                Molier has printed up a good version and I believe I have one to
                lend if you like!

                Kevin Garrett
                QM 1st Bn 1st Foot Gren Coy.
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                  Doug:

                  I suggest you contact

                  1st (Royal Scots) Regt
                  Grenadier Company
                  Hal Dennison
                  hdennison (at) rogers.com

                  He will tell you what you need to know

                  All unit Commanders and NCOs are encouraged to attend the Crown Forces
                  School of Instruction held yearly at Fort York. They then return to
                  their Units and teach the correct drill to them.

                  The Drill currently being used by the Crown Forces North America is
                  the "Regimental Companion for 1811"

                  The drill manual is available for download in PDF format from
                  http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com
                  in the links section under Muskets and Drill.

                  Hope this helps

                  Yrs.,
                  L2

                  Doug Clark wrote:

                  British Drill Manual

                  My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
                  Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
                  is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                  with American Civil War since 2000.

                  I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                  (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
                  bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
                  copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
                  the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
                  and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                  manuals themselves.

                  many thanks,
                  Doug Clark
                • Dave Westhouse
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                    He did.

                    I suggested he introduce himself to the list and ask if there
                    actually was a reprint copy of the drill manual we use to purchase.
                    Maybe someone had found a place for them or already exhausted the
                    research and found that there wasn't. We do have the manual on our
                    website and it can be printed from there but an actual book is
                    sometimes far nicer.

                    Doug has been at it for a while and we referred him to this list to
                    read more and see what others are saying. Hopefully it's constructive.

                    Dave Westhouse,
                    1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.

                    British Drill Manual

                    Doug:

                    I suggest you contact

                    1st (Royal Scots) Regt
                    Grenadier Company
                    Hal Dennison
                    hdennison (at) rogers.com

                    He will tell you what you need to know

                    All unit Commanders and NCOs are encouraged to attend the Crown Forces
                    School of Instruction held yearly at Fort York. They then return to
                    their Units and teach the correct drill to them.

                    The Drill currently being used by the Crown Forces North America is
                    the "Regimental Companion for 1811"

                    The drill manual is available for download in PDF format from
                    http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com
                    in the links section under Muskets and Drill.

                    Hope this helps

                    Yrs.,
                    L2

                    British Drill Manual

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                      Better check the website L2. The pdf version that is on the site is Rules
                      and Regs 1816 (though it's identical to 1811 and 1834!) and I do believe
                      that is what he said he had.

                      KW/89

                      _____

                      .

                      http://www.royalsco <http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com> tsgrenadiers.com

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 10, 2008
                        Mr. Windsor

                        Being a member of the 1st (Royal Scots) Regt. (Grenadier Company)

                        I am sure Mr. Dennison (his Commander) will teach the soldier the
                        correct drill

                        Yrs.,
                        L2

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 11, 2008
                          Kevin:

                          Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
                          sucker for hard bound books.

                          I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
                          his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
                          just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
                          enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
                          sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.

                          Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
                          later?

                          Doug

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
                          <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Doug and welcome to the ranks of the grannies! (Too bad you
                          had to join
                          > a lower numbered Grenadier company!)
                          >

                          > As for the drill manual, it would be more authentic for you to NOT
                          have one
                          > (though they are great things to have!).
                          >

                          > As a private you would either not know how to read (unless of
                          course you
                          > were in the 93rd ~smart guys, they wear trews! ~) or, if you
                          could, wouldn't
                          > be trusted to be able to interpret the contents without
                          instructions from
                          > your serjeants! (and you wouldn't want to keep it in your
                          haversack, that
                          > is for food)
                          >

                          > With all of that being said, though, I would encourage you to get
                          one! It
                          > never hurts. The originals are not ~pocket~ sized, though, they
                          are 5 1/4"
                          > (W) x 8 ½" (L). If you are handy with book binding (or know
                          someone who is)
                          > Google books has a scanned copy of the 1807, you can print that
                          off and bind
                          > it. The original 1834 edition that I have at the Museum is
                          grey/blue,
                          > though my suspicion is that it was Prussian blue, ordinance blue
                          (whatever
                          > you want to call it).
                          >

                          > Hope this helps and drop by and meet the OTHER grenadiers at
                          Longwoods!

                          > Kevin Windsor
                          >
                          > Grenadier Coy, 89th Reg't
                          >

                          > _____
                          >
                          > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
                          On Behalf
                          > Of sgtsalmo
                          >

                          > My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st
                          Royal
                          > Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph.
                          This
                          > is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                          > with American Civil War since 2000.
                          >
                          > I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                          > (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor
                          of a
                          > bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket
                          size
                          > copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to
                          while
                          > the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information
                          sponge
                          > and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                          > manuals themselves.
                          >
                          > many thanks, Doug Clark

                        • Kevin Windsor
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 11, 2008
                            Not really the same drill, but it didn't really change much. They added a
                            few things to it, but most of the wording is identical!
                            BTW I have sent your Cpl a copy of the 1807 drill manual so bug him for it!!

                            The King's Press http://www.kingspress.com/ doesn't sell it, but maybe if
                            there was enough interest they would bind one?

                            KW/89

                            >From: "sgtsalmo" <sgtsalmo@...>
                            >
                            >Kevin:
                            >
                            >Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
                            >sucker for hard bound books.
                            >
                            >I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
                            >his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
                            >just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
                            >enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
                            >sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.
                            >
                            >Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
                            >later?
                            >
                            >Doug
                          • MHS
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 13, 2008
                              Dear Doug,

                              McFarthingbowl's Re-enactment Supplies in Belgium sell a bound copy:

                              Rules and Regulations for the Manual and Platoon Exercises,

                              Formations, Field-Exercise, and Movements of His Majesty's

                              Forces 1807. Facsimile ? 25,00

                              Its not a period binding but officers would have had their copy bound professionally to withstand the rigours of campaign. It may not be historically correct for a private to posses one but you could always claim to have "liberated it from an Officer who no longer needed it" ;-)

                              e-mail: info@...
                              www.re-enactmentshop.com

                              Mc Farthingbowl's
                              Re-enactment Supplies
                              Tel./fax: 0032 (0)14 716783
                              Ravels, Belgium
                              BTW/VAT: BE 501 480 102

                              Mise le meas,
                              Barry Walsh, Cpt. 86th Foot

                              Barry Walsh
                              86th (Leinster) Regiment of Foot
                              Lord Edward's Own Re-enactment Group
                              www.kildare.ie/monasterevin-historical-society/reenenactment
                              e-mail: monhistsoc@...

                              Doug Clark wrote:

                              >My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
                              >Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
                              >is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                              >with American Civil War since 2000.
                              >
                              >I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                              >(1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
                              >bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
                              >copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
                              >the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
                              >and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                              >manuals themselves.
                              >
                              >many thanks, Doug Clark

                            • Dave Westhouse
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                                Thank you. That is what I believe we are looking for.

                                Dave Westhouse,
                                1st(Royal Scots) Regiment, Grenadier Co.
                                British North America.

                                Re:British Drill Manual