Sources for Kentucky Militia clothing descriptions

  • Thad Stern
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2008
      Hello group,
      I'm putting together a flier on our 2nd Kentucky Militia unit and I am seeking more info on general appearances of "Kentucky" militia units. I has several such as; the typical dress and equipment of a private in Cpt. Hickman's comp. of Col. Allen's 1st Kentucky Volunteer Rifle Reg... a hunting shirt made of linsey, with a slight fringe border, color either blue, a pale yellow or a dingy brown. His pants were Kentucky jeans and he walked in shoes or moccasins as was his fancy. and it goes on about rifle, bag, knife and tomahawk. At the River Raisin, British officer John Richardson left a description of the prisoners captured... it was the depth of winter but scarcely an individual was in possession of a great coat or cloak, and few wore garments of wool of any kind. They still retained their summer dress consisting of cotton stuff of various colors, shaped into frocks and descending to the knee, their trowsers were of the same material. They were covered in slouch hats
      worn bare by constant use, beneath which their long hair fell matted and uncombed over their cheeks, and these together with the dirty blankets wrapped around their loins to protect them against the inclemency of the season and fastened by broad leather belts, into which were thrust axes and knives of enormous length gave them an air of wildness and savageness. Richardson went on to state that this discription applied to the "various hordes of irregular troops sent forth throughout the war from the states of Ohio and Kentucky. ( 2nd Kentucky's Cpt. Henry James's company of spies were present at the battle of the River Raisin and were part of the advance force that took the town and the following battle which inflicted very high casualties to the men of the 41st.)

      It was somewhat typical for militia officers to have uniforms although that depends on the individual unit. There is a painting of Cpt. Ballard of the 1st KY wearing a "typical" tan colored hunting shirt.

      I would like more info on Kentucky militia clothing from first hand accounts, Mr. Lozon mentioned to me that some of you may have further descriptions from British officers of prisoners and the like. I know the Kentucky Militia had a number of battles with Col. Proctor and the 41st. The Fort Meigs was built and manned by militia, mostly from Kentucky.

      Sorry this is so lengthy, thank you for any information you may have in advance
      YMHS,
      Thad Stern, 1st Sgt. 2nd Kentucky Militia

    • tedyeat
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2008
        Check the Uniform plates at the Co. Of Military Historians web site;
        http://www.military-historians.org/

        T. Yeatman