Re: [War Of 1812] George MacDonald Fraser 1925-2008

  • ANDREW BATEMAN
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
      Darn. Sorry to hear that. For many years I've been looking forward to
      hearing about Flashman's adventures during the American Civil War, and now
      it looks like they won't be written. Still, there are enough great literary
      moments in his existing books that I'll be re-reading them for years. There
      was a passage in Mr. American that made me jump out of my chair (the only
      author ever to make me do that!) and I never laughed as hard as when I got
      near the end of Flashman and the Tiger and realized where Flashman was.

      Andrew Bateman, 41st Regt.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
        Even though most of his books were "fiction", they were a great source of "historical fact" if one ever bothered to look at his footnotes!

        I for one am greatly saddened by his loss.

        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com
        www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
          All you swabbies out there may be interested in checking out Edwin Thomas's adventures of Lieutenant
          Martin Jerrold, the salt water Flashy.

          > Not quite in the period, but of interest to many on the list I am sure.
          > George MacDonald Fraser, creator of the archetypical 19th century
          > anti-hero, Flashman, has died at his home in the UK. He was 82.
          > Here is the URL of the Guardian's obituary (almost hagiography)
          > Yrs etc.
          > Ray Hobbs
          > 41st Regt.

          Looking for a X-Mas gift? Everybody needs a Flickr Pro Account.

          http://www.flickr.com/gift/