Re: George MacDonald Fraser 1925-2008

  • John Harris
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2008
      The world is a little sadder today with the death of George MacDonald
      Fraser. Well known for the "Flashman" books, but His non-fiction works
      were also very well written. He wrote many other books in the "comedy"
      vein , but my ultimate favourite series was the "McAuslin" book's. A 3
      part semi-autobiography about His life in a late-war/post-war Highland
      Regiment. Just an absolute treasure to read.
      The Lad's in "Gleesky-toon" wu'll be having a "rare teer" the
      night !!! I'll be hoisting a "glass" too !
      John Harris
      */8^(
    • John Sek
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2008
        Hello Ray,

        RH> List:
        RH> Not quite in the period, but of interest to many on the list I am sure.
        RH> George MacDonald Fraser, creator of the archetypical 19th century
        RH> anti-hero, Flashman, has died at his home in the UK. He was 82.
        RH> Here is the URL of the Guardian's obituary (almost hagiography)
        RH> Yrs etc.
        RH> Ray Hobbs
        RH> 41st Regt.

        RH> Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

        RH> Messages | Database | Members

        RH>    War of 1812 Living History:
        RH> A wide-ranging information exchange
        RH> for all participants and supporters

        RH> Unit Contact information for North America:
        RH>    Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        RH>         http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
        RH>    American Forces Unit Listing
        RH>         http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        RH> WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
        RH>    http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist

        RH> MARKETPLACE

        RH> Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

        RH> Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
        RH> Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional
        RH> Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

        RH> Recent Activity

        RH>  2

        RH> New Members

        RH> Visit Your Group

        RH> Only on Yahoo!

        RH> Star Wars galaxy

        RH> Create a profile

        RH> and meet fans.

        RH> Yahoo! News

        RH> Odd News

        RH> You won't believe

        RH> it, but it's true

        RH> Real Food Group

        RH> on Yahoo! Groups

        RH> What does real food

        RH> mean to you #63;

        What!!!

        I was first introduced to 'Flashman' while recovering from a back injury on a project for CIDA in Afghanistan. It was the worst thing you can give someone with a back injury. The laughter that came from that book was painfull. It truly brought tears to me. I couldn't put the 'damn' thing down. I also had a hard time trying to accept whether or not this book was fiction since it was written complete with historical references, footnotes, endnote and a complete historical biblography. It had to be, but there was no disclaimer stating this fact as there is today.

        To make matters worse, a few months later while visiting the London Bookstore in Peshawar, Pakistan a friend showed me a local tourist guide book he found detailing the Kyber Pass with a picture and a footnote stating where the great "Sir Harry Flashman, VC" fought.

        I swear to this day, that George McDonald Fraser is the reason why all books of fiction today are clearly noted of that fact.

        I great writer, that I will truly miss.

        Three cheers to the Govn'r.

        John Sek
      • ANDREW BATEMAN
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
          Darn. Sorry to hear that. For many years I've been looking forward to
          hearing about Flashman's adventures during the American Civil War, and now
          it looks like they won't be written. Still, there are enough great literary
          moments in his existing books that I'll be re-reading them for years. There
          was a passage in Mr. American that made me jump out of my chair (the only
          author ever to make me do that!) and I never laughed as hard as when I got
          near the end of Flashman and the Tiger and realized where Flashman was.

          Andrew Bateman, 41st Regt.

        • HQ93rd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
            Even though most of his books were "fiction", they were a great source of "historical fact" if one ever bothered to look at his footnotes!

            I for one am greatly saddened by his loss.

            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            www.93rdhighlanders.com
            www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders

            The world is a little sadder today with the death of George MacDonald
            Fraser. Well known for the "Flashman" books, but His non-fiction works
            were also very well written. He wrote many other books in the "comedy"
            vein , but my ultimate favourite series was the "McAuslin" book's. A 3
            part semi-autobiography about His life in a late-war/post-war Highland
            Regiment. Just an absolute treasure to read.
            The Lad's in "Gleesky-toon" wu'll be having a "rare teer" the
            night !!! I'll be hoisting a "glass" too !
            John Harris
            */8^(

            War of 1812 Living History:
            A wide-ranging information exchange
            for all participants and supporters

            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            American Forces Unit Listing
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • roy winders
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
              All you swabbies out there may be interested in checking out Edwin Thomas's adventures of Lieutenant
              Martin Jerrold, the salt water Flashy.

              > Not quite in the period, but of interest to many on the list I am sure.
              > George MacDonald Fraser, creator of the archetypical 19th century
              > anti-hero, Flashman, has died at his home in the UK. He was 82.
              > Here is the URL of the Guardian's obituary (almost hagiography)
              > Yrs etc.
              > Ray Hobbs
              > 41st Regt.

              Looking for a X-Mas gift? Everybody needs a Flickr Pro Account.

              http://www.flickr.com/gift/