Re: [War Of 1812] George MacDonald Fraser 1925-2008

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
      The world is a bit sadder for his loss.
      "Dem 'is eyes!"

      93rd SHRoFLHU
      THE Thin Red Line
      www.93rdhighlanders.com
      www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...>
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 3:24 pm
      Subject: [War Of 1812] George MacDonald Fraser 1925-2008

      List:
      Not quite in the period, but of interest to many on the list I am sure.
      George MacDonald Fraser, creator of the archetypical 19th century
      anti-hero, Flashman, has died at his home in the UK. He was 82.
      Here is the URL of the Guardian's obituary (almost hagiography)
      Yrs etc.
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt.

      War of 1812 Living History:
      A wide-ranging information exchange
      for all participants and supporters

      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      American Forces Unit Listing
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • John Harris
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2008
        The world is a little sadder today with the death of George MacDonald
        Fraser. Well known for the "Flashman" books, but His non-fiction works
        were also very well written. He wrote many other books in the "comedy"
        vein , but my ultimate favourite series was the "McAuslin" book's. A 3
        part semi-autobiography about His life in a late-war/post-war Highland
        Regiment. Just an absolute treasure to read.
        The Lad's in "Gleesky-toon" wu'll be having a "rare teer" the
        night !!! I'll be hoisting a "glass" too !
        John Harris
        */8^(
      • John Sek
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2008
          Hello Ray,

          RH> List:
          RH> Not quite in the period, but of interest to many on the list I am sure.
          RH> George MacDonald Fraser, creator of the archetypical 19th century
          RH> anti-hero, Flashman, has died at his home in the UK. He was 82.
          RH> Here is the URL of the Guardian's obituary (almost hagiography)
          RH> Yrs etc.
          RH> Ray Hobbs
          RH> 41st Regt.

          RH> Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

          RH> Messages | Database | Members

          RH>    War of 1812 Living History:
          RH> A wide-ranging information exchange
          RH> for all participants and supporters

          RH> Unit Contact information for North America:
          RH>    Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          RH>         http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
          RH>    American Forces Unit Listing
          RH>         http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          RH> WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
          RH>    http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist

          RH> MARKETPLACE

          RH> Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

          RH> Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
          RH> Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional
          RH> Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

          RH> Recent Activity

          RH>  2

          RH> New Members

          RH> Visit Your Group

          RH> Only on Yahoo!

          RH> Star Wars galaxy

          RH> Create a profile

          RH> and meet fans.

          RH> Yahoo! News

          RH> Odd News

          RH> You won't believe

          RH> it, but it's true

          RH> Real Food Group

          RH> on Yahoo! Groups

          RH> What does real food

          RH> mean to you #63;

          What!!!

          I was first introduced to 'Flashman' while recovering from a back injury on a project for CIDA in Afghanistan. It was the worst thing you can give someone with a back injury. The laughter that came from that book was painfull. It truly brought tears to me. I couldn't put the 'damn' thing down. I also had a hard time trying to accept whether or not this book was fiction since it was written complete with historical references, footnotes, endnote and a complete historical biblography. It had to be, but there was no disclaimer stating this fact as there is today.

          To make matters worse, a few months later while visiting the London Bookstore in Peshawar, Pakistan a friend showed me a local tourist guide book he found detailing the Kyber Pass with a picture and a footnote stating where the great "Sir Harry Flashman, VC" fought.

          I swear to this day, that George McDonald Fraser is the reason why all books of fiction today are clearly noted of that fact.

          I great writer, that I will truly miss.

          Three cheers to the Govn'r.

          John Sek
        • ANDREW BATEMAN
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
            Darn. Sorry to hear that. For many years I've been looking forward to
            hearing about Flashman's adventures during the American Civil War, and now
            it looks like they won't be written. Still, there are enough great literary
            moments in his existing books that I'll be re-reading them for years. There
            was a passage in Mr. American that made me jump out of my chair (the only
            author ever to make me do that!) and I never laughed as hard as when I got
            near the end of Flashman and the Tiger and realized where Flashman was.

            Andrew Bateman, 41st Regt.

          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
              Even though most of his books were "fiction", they were a great source of "historical fact" if one ever bothered to look at his footnotes!

              I for one am greatly saddened by his loss.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
                All you swabbies out there may be interested in checking out Edwin Thomas's adventures of Lieutenant
                Martin Jerrold, the salt water Flashy.

                > Not quite in the period, but of interest to many on the list I am sure.
                > George MacDonald Fraser, creator of the archetypical 19th century
                > anti-hero, Flashman, has died at his home in the UK. He was 82.
                > Here is the URL of the Guardian's obituary (almost hagiography)
                > Yrs etc.
                > Ray Hobbs
                > 41st Regt.

                Looking for a X-Mas gift? Everybody needs a Flickr Pro Account.

                http://www.flickr.com/gift/