George MacDonald Fraser 1925-2008

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
      List:
      Not quite in the period, but of interest to many on the list I am sure.
      George MacDonald Fraser, creator of the archetypical 19th century
      anti-hero, Flashman, has died at his home in the UK. He was 82.
      Here is the URL of the Guardian's obituary (almost hagiography)
      Yrs etc.
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt.
    • HQ93rd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
        The world is a bit sadder for his loss.
        "Dem 'is eyes!"

        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com
        www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders

        Not quite in the period, but of interest to many on the list I am sure.
        George MacDonald Fraser, creator of the archetypical 19th century
        anti-hero, Flashman, has died at his home in the UK. He was 82.
        Here is the URL of the Guardian's obituary (almost hagiography)
        Yrs etc.
        Ray Hobbs
        41st Regt.

        War of 1812 Living History:
        A wide-ranging information exchange
        for all participants and supporters

        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
        American Forces Unit Listing
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Harris
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2008
          The world is a little sadder today with the death of George MacDonald
          Fraser. Well known for the "Flashman" books, but His non-fiction works
          were also very well written. He wrote many other books in the "comedy"
          vein , but my ultimate favourite series was the "McAuslin" book's. A 3
          part semi-autobiography about His life in a late-war/post-war Highland
          Regiment. Just an absolute treasure to read.
          The Lad's in "Gleesky-toon" wu'll be having a "rare teer" the
          night !!! I'll be hoisting a "glass" too !
          John Harris
          */8^(
        • John Sek
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2008
            Hello Ray,

            RH> List:
            RH> Not quite in the period, but of interest to many on the list I am sure.
            RH> George MacDonald Fraser, creator of the archetypical 19th century
            RH> anti-hero, Flashman, has died at his home in the UK. He was 82.
            RH> Here is the URL of the Guardian's obituary (almost hagiography)
            RH> Yrs etc.
            RH> Ray Hobbs
            RH> 41st Regt.

            RH> Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

            RH> Messages | Database | Members

            RH>    War of 1812 Living History:
            RH> A wide-ranging information exchange
            RH> for all participants and supporters

            RH> Unit Contact information for North America:
            RH>    Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            RH>         http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            RH>    American Forces Unit Listing
            RH>         http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            RH> WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
            RH>    http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist

            RH> MARKETPLACE

            RH> Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

            RH> Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
            RH> Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional
            RH> Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

            RH> Recent Activity

            RH>  2

            RH> New Members

            RH> Visit Your Group

            RH> Only on Yahoo!

            RH> Star Wars galaxy

            RH> Create a profile

            RH> and meet fans.

            RH> Yahoo! News

            RH> Odd News

            RH> You won't believe

            RH> it, but it's true

            RH> Real Food Group

            RH> on Yahoo! Groups

            RH> What does real food

            RH> mean to you #63;

            What!!!

            I was first introduced to 'Flashman' while recovering from a back injury on a project for CIDA in Afghanistan. It was the worst thing you can give someone with a back injury. The laughter that came from that book was painfull. It truly brought tears to me. I couldn't put the 'damn' thing down. I also had a hard time trying to accept whether or not this book was fiction since it was written complete with historical references, footnotes, endnote and a complete historical biblography. It had to be, but there was no disclaimer stating this fact as there is today.

            To make matters worse, a few months later while visiting the London Bookstore in Peshawar, Pakistan a friend showed me a local tourist guide book he found detailing the Kyber Pass with a picture and a footnote stating where the great "Sir Harry Flashman, VC" fought.

            I swear to this day, that George McDonald Fraser is the reason why all books of fiction today are clearly noted of that fact.

            I great writer, that I will truly miss.

            Three cheers to the Govn'r.

            John Sek
          • ANDREW BATEMAN
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
              Darn. Sorry to hear that. For many years I've been looking forward to
              hearing about Flashman's adventures during the American Civil War, and now
              it looks like they won't be written. Still, there are enough great literary
              moments in his existing books that I'll be re-reading them for years. There
              was a passage in Mr. American that made me jump out of my chair (the only
              author ever to make me do that!) and I never laughed as hard as when I got
              near the end of Flashman and the Tiger and realized where Flashman was.

              Andrew Bateman, 41st Regt.

            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
                Even though most of his books were "fiction", they were a great source of "historical fact" if one ever bothered to look at his footnotes!

                I for one am greatly saddened by his loss.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
                  All you swabbies out there may be interested in checking out Edwin Thomas's adventures of Lieutenant
                  Martin Jerrold, the salt water Flashy.

                  > Not quite in the period, but of interest to many on the list I am sure.
                  > George MacDonald Fraser, creator of the archetypical 19th century
                  > anti-hero, Flashman, has died at his home in the UK. He was 82.
                  > Here is the URL of the Guardian's obituary (almost hagiography)
                  > Yrs etc.
                  > Ray Hobbs
                  > 41st Regt.

                  Looking for a X-Mas gift? Everybody needs a Flickr Pro Account.

                  http://www.flickr.com/gift/