RE: [War Of 1812] Militia supplies May 1812

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2007
      Don't forget the three that I have in the collection at Lundy's Lane as
      well!

      Kevin

      p.s. Don't forget about the 6th Foot, they wore yellow too!

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of ronaldjdale@...

      Thanks for the summary,

      Richard. There are a couple of original Lincoln militia officers' coattees
      in the collection of the Niagara Historic Society--both red faced blue as
      per the orders for the Lincoln Militia. One coattee bears the damage done by
      a wound and the surgeons at Lundy's Lane. According to orders, these would
      have been worn only after the men received uniform clothing so they must
      have done so by 1814. Since surviving samples suggest red faced blue I am
      really curious about the red faced yellow. Having been the Superintendent of
      Niagara (including Fort George) for 15 years, I am particularly interested
      in any documentation retained by the Park that would suggest yellow facings.

      I know that we all want to be accurate in our presentations and we have had
      many a lively debate in the past 33 years on headgear (stovepipe or
      belgique) but I cannot recall a use of yellow facings beyond the 100th foot
      and the Cdn Fencibles. Obviously, I? will have to look again.

      Ron