Re: [War Of 1812] Complaint to Moderators by Calvin Arnt: Ruling

  • Tom Hurlbut
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2007
      I have no way of knowing about this particular situation, but certainly people can get "sensitized" after a beating. Perhaps Calvin has felt some criticism over the years and now feels anything remotely interpreted as such as deliberately directed his way? If that is the case, then I am sympathetic to his discomfort.

      However Jim, I feel that you have handled this very well, as always. You seem to know your duties well and carry them out. I know I don't want the job.

      I terms of the message deemed inflammatory, I suppose we could all re-read the rules and avoid controversial statements of all types.

      But would that be any fun?

      I remember the beginning of Mr. Sigler's "quest for knowledge", one I assumed was genuine, and my own responses. Then it all seemed to get rather silly, so I simply dropped the business, leaving it to others, more qualified (or patient!).

      The Calvin II letter was deleted without being read by myself so all parties are safe (Captain Hobbes from the "Calvin and Hobbes" reference perhaps?) anyway. ;-)

      I wonder how many others did the same?

      Cheers!

      "Major" Tom
      25th Infantry

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
        A good analogy might be actors who take part
        in a performance – they have extended an implicit licence to critics
        to "judge" the quality of their performance.

        I must issue a complaint as this is obviously directed specifically at me, myself, and I, and all three of us are unanimous in this!
        We extend an "invitation" to the dirty rotten communists known as "critics" to write glowing reviews of our work so as to further promote the production we are in and fill the seats with warm buttocks which are attached indirectly to hands clapping in great enthusiasm and appreciation. Anything these critics do outside of that spectrum is underhanded mendacity.
        Or are they Nazis? Perhaps they're Zapapistas.
        No matter, they're dirty and rotten. Except the ones who have said nice things about me.

        And if you think I'm just a soggy bottom boy, here is corroborating evidence from no less a source than an animated feature film!
        "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -- Anton Ego (Peter O'Toole), "Ratatouille"

        My apologies to anyone I may have offended even inadvertently including The Soggy Bottom Boys, Peter O'Toole, people with buttocks, and Steve Abolt.
        But not to anyone who is dirty and/or rotten (and you know who you are!).

        And I think Calvin Cooledge was great President! (...wasn't he?)

        Lt Co oh look that doggy has a fluffy tail B

        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com
        www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders

        A situation has arisen in which we have received a complaint from a
        non-list member, ......<snip>

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
          I can't recall if this has been posted before.
          A bit off topic as far as time.)
          I scored a 79.

          http://www.schoolshistory.org.uk/westernfront/Western%20Front%20Sim.htm

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
            In a message dated 12/19/2007 1:21:59 PM Central Standard Time,
            HQ93rd@... writes:

            And I think Calvin Cooledge was great President! (...wasn't he?)

            And his decendent Jenifer was a great Stifler's mom!
            Also a resident of New Orleans.

            Another reason to come star spoting in New Orleans when you attend the
            battle commemoration; you can also try to spot
            Branjelina, Harry Shera, Nicholas Cage and F.F.Copola (occasionaly) Helen
            Miren & Taylor Hackford, John Goodman, Harry Connic (Jr and Snr) Winton
            Marsalis, etc' etc.

            Cheers,

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
              In a message dated 12/19/2007 1:45:53 PM Central Standard Time,
              HQ93rd@... writes:

              I can't recall if this has been posted before.
              A bit off topic as far as time.)
              I scored a 79.

              ----------------------------------

              Oooooooooo I got 77, shows I was right to promote you. That's another 5
              points for me then!

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
                Stifler's mom!! Stop Tim you're killing me! One day I will make it down
                there.

                KW

                _____

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@... wrote:

                  > I can't recall if this has been posted before.
                  > A bit off topic as far as time.)
                  > I scored a 79.
                  >
                  > http://www.schoolshistory.org.uk/westernfront/Western%20Front%20Sim.htm

                  Interesting. I got a score of 76 and I'm just a musician.

                  JimK
                • JGIL1812@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                    In a message dated 12/20/2007 10:26:27 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    jkrause365@... writes:

                    Interesting. I got a score of 76 and I'm just a musician.

                    JimK

                    Jim,

                    But we all know musicians have brains... officers on the other hand just
                    have money. Lots and lots of it!

                    JG/RE

                  • Bob Dorian
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                      JG,

                      That would be British Officers! That's certainly not a requirement for the Yanks! ;^)

                      Bob Dorian
                      [Formerly Cpt. US Ordnance Corps - definitely not wealthy!!]

                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 25, 2007
                        But we all know musicians have brains... officers on the other hand just
                        have money. Lots and lots of it!

                        Could you tell me where mine is then?
                        Desperate in LA...

                        jkrause365@... writes:

                        Interesting. I got a score of 76 and I'm just a musician.

                        JimK

                        Jim,

                        But we all know musicians have brains... officers on the other hand just
                        have money. Lots and lots of it!

                        JG/RE

                        War of 1812 Living History:
                        A wide-ranging information exchange