Archive move

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2007
      List - this notice is primarily for Canadians interested in research on
      the War of 1812.

      The following notice appeared recently, and is of importance to those
      studying aspects of the War of 1812. The archives in question contain a
      host of church records from 1784 until 1816 (and beyond), providing
      information on many families who had settled in UC during that time.

      United Church Archives on the Move

      "The United Church of Canada recently announced that its Toronto
      archives will be moving from the Victoria University campus at the
      University of Toronto to The United Church of Canada�s General Council
      Office at 3250 Bloor Street. West in west end Toronto. The move will
      happen in early 2008. This is a monumental task involving moving close
      to 20,000 boxes of records to the new site. While planning and
      preparations are underway to move the collection from its current
      location, the collection will be temporarily unavailable for research
      after December 21, 2007. The United Church anticipates reopening its
      reading room to the public by Monday, May 5, 2008 at the new Bloor
      Street location. It is anticipated that the new site will be more
      convenient for users, given its proximity to major transportation
      routes, the Islington subway station, and on-site parking. For more
      information, visit http://unitedchurcharchives.vicu.utoronto.ca/, email
      info@... or call 416.585.4563. "

      My best regards to all, and my wishes for a very Happy Christmas and
      successful New Year.

      Yrs etc.
      Ray H
      41st Regt.

    • Erika Reinhardt
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
        There has actually been a lot of negative response from several
        prominent historians and archivists about this move, including the
        members of the Ontario Historical Association, the Canadian
        Historical Association, the University of Toronto, and the
        Association of Canadian Archivists. There is even a petition to keep
        the archives at Victoria University. http://www.savethearchives.ca/

        On October 31st the Save the Archives Coalition sent this open letter
        to Nora Saunders (general secretary of the United Church of Canada)
        and Paul Gooch (president, Victoria University).

        Ms Nora Sanders
        General Secretary, General Council
        United Church of Canada
        3250 Bloor St W, Suite 300
        Toronto M8X 2Y4

        Dr Paul Gooch
        President
        Victoria University
        73 Queen's Park Cres. E
        Toronto M5S 1 K7

        Dear Ms Sanders and Dr Gooch

        The announcement of the United Church of Canada's plans to relocate
        its archives to its own offices in Etobicoke is a welcome indication
        that the value of these records has been recognized. But the move
        remains troubling to members of the Save the Archives Coalition. We
        are not convinced that the Archives have yet been `saved.'

        We continue to feel the need to speak on behalf a public interest in
        this Archives that has not been adequately recognized in the
        discussions and planning that have stretched over the past two years.
        Some 2,300 people who have signed our petition share that view. As we
        stated when we met with each of you, this research centre has a far
        larger relevance than simply maintaining the records of a particular
        group of religious institutions. Not only does the collection include
        a wide range of material that was not generated by the churches
        themselves, including many private papers, but there is also
        undeniable evidence of its value for researchers in many fields in
        Canadian history, literature, architecture, musicology, environmental
        studies, foreign affairs, and so much more, as well as research in
        many vital matters of public policy. The United Church and Victoria
        University have been jointly entrusted with maintaining this research
        centre and its remarkable collection, and we the public are not
        satisfied that the impending move will ensure the kind of future that
        this Archives deserves.

        We are concerned about the long-term implications of the projected
        move. We see five significant problems in these plans.

        Funding. Until recently, Victoria University was funding half the
        operating costs of the Archives. With the withdrawal of those
        financial resources, the Church's new operation will be much more
        constrained and much less able to maintain the high quality of
        service that users have come to expect. Ms Sanders made quite clear
        to us during our interview in October that the Church can not afford
        to dedicate substantial new resources to this project.

        Staff. The respected reputation of the Archives rests heavily on the
        expertise of its experienced, highly competent staff. Any new staff
        recruited to handle the records at the new location will face a
        prolonged period of familiarizing themselves with a large, rich, and
        diverse collection. We also worry about whether staffing levels can
        be maintained with the Church's tight budget constraints, especially
        since the Church has had to lay off several staff in recent months.

        Location. A central location on the University of Toronto campus is
        certainly preferable to a more remote suburban site. Ultimately more
        importantly, the building into which the records are to be moved is
        only rented, and the security of the location is therefore not at all
        certain.

        Space. According to Dr. Gooch, this was the key determinant in the
        Church's decision to leave Victoria. Yet, the Church's statement
        about the move does not suggest guaranteed space for expansion, as
        any large archives must plan for. The future of the extensive
        Berkeley Studio records already housed in there suggests that there
        will be even more pressure on space.

        Transition. It seems highly unlikely that so vast a collection could
        be moved and made available to the public by the beginning of May,
        especially without experienced staff to set the new operations in
        motion. The records will therefore almost certainly be inaccessible
        for much longer than indicated.

        There is an alternative. The Archives could easily remain on the
        Victoria University/University of Toronto campus. The issue of
        inadequate space cannot be a stumbling block, since other archives
        (including the University of Toronto Archives) have found creative
        ways to meet that challenge without completely relocating. The issue
        is unquestionably money, and, if a secure funding base were
        available, the Archives would not have to move. We therefore call on
        Victoria University to initiate a special fundraising project to
        establish a more secure future for the Archives. We are convinced
        that the support for such an initiative would be substantial, and we
        would certainly be willing to assist in any way possible. It would be
        a renewal of historic relationship in which the United Church and
        Victoria have supported each other for 108 years.

        As the voice of a concerned public, we urge you once again to
        recognize the public interest here, to reconsider the decision to
        disrupt this venerable research centre, and to find the ways to keep
        it in its present home.

        Sincerely,

        W.J. Callahan
        Professor Emeritus
        University of Toronto
        And Former Principal
        Victoria College

        Craig Heron
        President
        Canadian Historical Association

        Loryl MacDonald
        Association of Canadian Archivists

        Karolyn Smardz Frost
        Executive Director
        Ontario Historical Society

        ~ Erika
        89th Grenadiers

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

        > List - this notice is primarily for Canadians interested in
        research on
        > the War of 1812.
        >
        > The following notice appeared recently, and is of importance to
        those
        > studying aspects of the War of 1812. The archives in question
        contain a
        > host of church records from 1784 until 1816 (and beyond), providing
        > information on many families who had settled in UC during that time.
        >
        > United Church Archives on the Move
        >
        > "The United Church of Canada recently announced that its Toronto
        > archives will be moving from the Victoria University campus at the
        > University of Toronto to The United Church of Canada's General
        Council
        > Office at 3250 Bloor Street. West in west end Toronto. The move
        will
        > happen in early 2008. This is a monumental task involving moving
        close
        > to 20,000 boxes of records to the new site. While planning and
        > preparations are underway to move the collection from its current
        > location, the collection will be temporarily unavailable for
        research
        > after December 21, 2007. The United Church anticipates reopening
        its
        > reading room to the public by Monday, May 5, 2008 at the new Bloor
        > Street location. It is anticipated that the new site will be more
        > convenient for users, given its proximity to major transportation
        > routes, the Islington subway station, and on-site parking. For
        more
        > information, visit http://unitedchurcharchives.vicu.utoronto.ca/,
        email
        > info@... or call 416.585.4563. "
        >
        > My best regards to all, and my wishes for a very Happy Christmas
        and
        > successful New Year.
        >
        > Yrs etc.
        > Ray H
        > 41st Regt.

      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2007
          Thank you for this Erika. I hope it yields some results.
          My daughter is the Literary Manuscript Archivist at the National
          Library in Ottawa/Gatineau. I shall be visiting her and her family next
          week, and I am sure she will have an opinion on the matter.
          Sincerely
          Ray Hobbs
          41st Regt.