Re: [War Of 1812] Re: Reasons not to go to New Orleans

  • JGIL1812@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
      In a message dated 12/4/2007 11:27:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      jkrause365@... writes:

      8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.

      Jim,

      Only if you are making $$$$$ and willing to share!

      JG/RE

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
        Oh,
        Irish.

        (and now imagine the end title music of the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show playing.
        Ifn ye kanna, then ye have no humour in ye)

        Lt Col I have Irish ancestors as well so yes I can say that B

        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com
        www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
          I've used air mileage just to get there this and the last time.
          Otherwise, I couldna been there due to poor poor me.
          NEXT!

          ;-)

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
            An excuse to stay IN school?
            NEXT

            ;-)

            Madison, June 20, 1785

            "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense,
            founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of
            enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and, as the
            said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
            Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising
            from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony
            existing between the two countries." -- Article 11 of the Treaty of Peace
            and Friendship between the United States and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli
            of Barbary, 3 Junad 1211 (Muslim calendar), 4 November 1796 C.E..

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
              Right. Off you go then!

              Finally...a good excuse!

              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line
              www.93rdhighlanders.com
              www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders

              8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.

              Jim Krause

              John Ogden wrote:

              > Well, it has been established on a couple of other reenacting
              oriented lists
              > I subscribe to that the price of gasoline in the US is definitely
              killing
              > the hobby by inches as travelling to any event is quickly becoming
              > prohibitively expensive. Carpooling mitigates this somewhat, but not
              > extensively as we're all still carrying too much impedimenta. I
              personally
              > have the added issue, at least for NOLA, that the event is held just
              when
              > the spring term is beginning and my absence from class would
              definitely be
              > noticed.
              >
              > John Ogden
              >

              > On 12/3/07, Dale Kidd <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > 7. I'm too bloody POOR this year to make the trip down from Canada!
              > > One of these years, though, I promise...
              > >
              > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>, roy
              > > winders <rangerroy50@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > 6.my pardon hasnt come through yet

              Christianity
              > in exclusion of all other religions may establish, with the same
              ease, any
              > particular sect of Christians in exclusion of all other sects?" -- James
              > Madison, June 20, 1785
              >
              > "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense,
              > founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of
              > enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen;
              and, as the
              > said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
              > Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising
              > from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the
              harmony
              > existing between the two countries." -- Article 11 of the Treaty
              of Peace
              > and Friendship between the United States and the Bey and Subjects of
              Tripoli
              > of Barbary, 3 Junad 1211 (Muslim calendar), 4 November 1796 C.E..

              War of 1812 Living History:
              A wide-ranging information exchange
              for all participants and supporters

              Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
              American Forces Unit Listing
              http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • John Ogden
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                I'm hoping mine was the good excuse. If you'd like, I can elaborate on what
                kind of commitment to this degree program I've made that, as a fellow Scot
                (at least ethnically in my case), I'm sure you can appreciate. My tuition
                bill per semester comes to $11,000 US. This does not count what I'm
                spending on books and "recommended but not required (if you don't mind
                failing)" study aids. Given that my attendance is checked for each and
                every class so that my professors can confidently state to the bar
                association (whenever I get to take a bar exam) that it was really me taking
                the courses, and each absence counts against me and my final grade. There's
                a reason lawyers charge the fees they charge: it's mostly just to make back
                what we spend becoming lawyers, plus a little compensation for the hell our
                lives become while in school. And I volunteered for this...

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 12/4/2007 11:27:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  > jkrause365@... writes:
                  >
                  > 8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.
                  >

                  > Jim,
                  >
                  > Only if you are making $$$$$ and willing to share!
                  >
                  > JG/RE
                  Yes, I am getting paid. But it isn't like I need the money, or
                  anything like that. But the people I owe it to say they need it.
                  Some nerve, eh?

                  Jim Krause
                • Dave Westhouse
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                    Ok seriously now...

                    Lots of good reasons why one may not be able or want to go to New
                    Orleans but if you do go? It would be well worth the trip.

                    Several members of the Royal Scots Grenadier Company ventured down
                    there last January and were very well received and looked after. A
                    little touring before the event allowed us all to take in a wonderful
                    city that is doing well to get back on its feet. Yes, there are
                    places that do show dramatic damage but in many places you'd never
                    know. The city and its citizens would love to be your hosts for sure.

                    The site is incredible and yup there is a battle. It was pretty good.

                    If you are thinking on a long distance trip plan ahead and think New
                    Orleans, if not for this year, then maybe next. If Mr. Gilmore,
                    Jennings, Abolt, etc. can do it, then others can as well, with some
                    exceptions, granted.

                    ...and I didn't even get paid for this. :>)

                    Dave Westhouse,
                    1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.
                  • David Hinkley
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                      Reasons I AM going to New Orleans;

                      1.) Hang out with my friends.
                      2.) I am having withdrawl symptoms from the smell of burning sulphur.
                      3.) I like Bourbon Street late at night when young coeds use up their
                      parents hard-earned money to show off their budding talents.
                      4.) The food alone is worth the trip and I haven't had a good Po Boy in
                      a long time.

                      Dave Hinkley
                      #44 95th Reg. of Rifles

                      See you there.
                    • JGIL1812@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                        In a message dated 12/5/2007 6:21:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                        pudding.boy@... writes:

                        .) Hang out with my friends.
                        2.) I am having withdrawl symptoms from the smell of burning sulphur.
                        3.) I like Bourbon Street late at night when young coeds use up their
                        parents hard-earned money to show off their budding talents.
                        4.) The food alone is worth the trip and I haven't had a good Po Boy in
                        a long time.

                        Dave,

                        All excellent reasons.

                        JG/RE

                      • Scott McMahon
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                          Bro. Hinkley,

                          Be sure to come by and visit us over on Line Jackson... we'll save a
                          glass for you!

                          Sincerely,
                          Scott McMahon
                          ADC to Maj. Abolt
                          7th USI
                          Southern Division
                        • Dale Kidd
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 6, 2007
                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@... wrote:
                            > Finally...a good excuse!

                            Even despite my own excuse, which I consider pretty good, Roy's excuse
                            gets my vote as most convincing. Trying to cross into the US with a
                            record could be really unpleasant... US Customs & Immigration are not
                            known for their sense of humour about such things.
                          • roy winders
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 6, 2007
                              They,d never,r seen me on that grassy knoll if,n Id,a used smokeless

                              Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.ca

                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                                Of course I MUST add the 1st being there was a great joy and a welcome addition to the line!
                                They did themselves proud.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 10, 2007
                                  Thank you Sir, you are too kind.
                                  In truth, I cannot speak more highly of an event. We all had a wonderful time.
                                  What an amazing city! What wonderful people! What a fantastic event!
                                  "Wishing" I was going to be there......

                                  Hal