Re: Reasons not to go to New Orleans

  • Jim Krause
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
      8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.

      Jim Krause

      John Ogden wrote:

      > Well, it has been established on a couple of other reenacting
      oriented lists
      > I subscribe to that the price of gasoline in the US is definitely
      killing
      > the hobby by inches as travelling to any event is quickly becoming
      > prohibitively expensive. Carpooling mitigates this somewhat, but not
      > extensively as we're all still carrying too much impedimenta. I
      personally
      > have the added issue, at least for NOLA, that the event is held just
      when
      > the spring term is beginning and my absence from class would
      definitely be
      > noticed.
      >
      > John Ogden
      >

      > On 12/3/07, Dale Kidd <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > 7. I'm too bloody POOR this year to make the trip down from Canada!
      > > One of these years, though, I promise...
      > >
      > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>, roy
      > > winders <rangerroy50@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > 6.my pardon hasnt come through yet

      Christianity
      > in exclusion of all other religions may establish, with the same
      ease, any
      > particular sect of Christians in exclusion of all other sects?" -- James
      > Madison, June 20, 1785
      >
      > "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense,
      > founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of
      > enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen;
      and, as the
      > said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
      > Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising
      > from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the
      harmony
      > existing between the two countries." -- Article 11 of the Treaty
      of Peace
      > and Friendship between the United States and the Bey and Subjects of
      Tripoli

    • JGIL1812@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
        In a message dated 12/4/2007 11:27:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        jkrause365@... writes:

        8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.

        Jim,

        Only if you are making $$$$$ and willing to share!

        JG/RE

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
          Oh,
          Irish.

          (and now imagine the end title music of the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show playing.
          Ifn ye kanna, then ye have no humour in ye)

          Lt Col I have Irish ancestors as well so yes I can say that B

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
            I've used air mileage just to get there this and the last time.
            Otherwise, I couldna been there due to poor poor me.
            NEXT!

            ;-)

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
              An excuse to stay IN school?
              NEXT

              ;-)

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                Right. Off you go then!

                Finally...a good excuse!

                John Ogden wrote:

                > Well, it has been established on a couple of other reenacting
                oriented lists
                > I subscribe to that the price of gasoline in the US is definitely
                killing
                > the hobby by inches as travelling to any event is quickly becoming
                > prohibitively expensive. Carpooling mitigates this somewhat, but not
                > extensively as we're all still carrying too much impedimenta. I
                personally
                > have the added issue, at least for NOLA, that the event is held just
                when
                > the spring term is beginning and my absence from class would
                definitely be
                > noticed.
                >
                > John Ogden
                >

                > On 12/3/07, Dale Kidd <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > 7. I'm too bloody POOR this year to make the trip down from Canada!
                > > One of these years, though, I promise...
                > >
                > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>, roy
                > > winders <rangerroy50@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > 6.my pardon hasnt come through yet

              • John Ogden
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                  I'm hoping mine was the good excuse. If you'd like, I can elaborate on what
                  kind of commitment to this degree program I've made that, as a fellow Scot
                  (at least ethnically in my case), I'm sure you can appreciate. My tuition
                  bill per semester comes to $11,000 US. This does not count what I'm
                  spending on books and "recommended but not required (if you don't mind
                  failing)" study aids. Given that my attendance is checked for each and
                  every class so that my professors can confidently state to the bar
                  association (whenever I get to take a bar exam) that it was really me taking
                  the courses, and each absence counts against me and my final grade. There's
                  a reason lawyers charge the fees they charge: it's mostly just to make back
                  what we spend becoming lawyers, plus a little compensation for the hell our
                  lives become while in school. And I volunteered for this...

                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 12/4/2007 11:27:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    > jkrause365@... writes:
                    >
                    > 8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.
                    >

                    > Jim,
                    >
                    > Only if you are making $$$$$ and willing to share!
                    >
                    > JG/RE
                    Yes, I am getting paid. But it isn't like I need the money, or
                    anything like that. But the people I owe it to say they need it.
                    Some nerve, eh?

                    Jim Krause
                  • Dave Westhouse
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                      Ok seriously now...

                      Lots of good reasons why one may not be able or want to go to New
                      Orleans but if you do go? It would be well worth the trip.

                      Several members of the Royal Scots Grenadier Company ventured down
                      there last January and were very well received and looked after. A
                      little touring before the event allowed us all to take in a wonderful
                      city that is doing well to get back on its feet. Yes, there are
                      places that do show dramatic damage but in many places you'd never
                      know. The city and its citizens would love to be your hosts for sure.

                      The site is incredible and yup there is a battle. It was pretty good.

                      If you are thinking on a long distance trip plan ahead and think New
                      Orleans, if not for this year, then maybe next. If Mr. Gilmore,
                      Jennings, Abolt, etc. can do it, then others can as well, with some
                      exceptions, granted.

                      ...and I didn't even get paid for this. :>)

                      Dave Westhouse,
                      1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.
                    • David Hinkley
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                        Reasons I AM going to New Orleans;

                        1.) Hang out with my friends.
                        2.) I am having withdrawl symptoms from the smell of burning sulphur.
                        3.) I like Bourbon Street late at night when young coeds use up their
                        parents hard-earned money to show off their budding talents.
                        4.) The food alone is worth the trip and I haven't had a good Po Boy in
                        a long time.

                        Dave Hinkley
                        #44 95th Reg. of Rifles

                        See you there.
                      • JGIL1812@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                          In a message dated 12/5/2007 6:21:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                          pudding.boy@... writes:

                          .) Hang out with my friends.
                          2.) I am having withdrawl symptoms from the smell of burning sulphur.
                          3.) I like Bourbon Street late at night when young coeds use up their
                          parents hard-earned money to show off their budding talents.
                          4.) The food alone is worth the trip and I haven't had a good Po Boy in
                          a long time.

                          Dave,

                          All excellent reasons.

                          JG/RE

                        • Scott McMahon
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                            Bro. Hinkley,

                            Be sure to come by and visit us over on Line Jackson... we'll save a
                            glass for you!

                            Sincerely,
                            Scott McMahon
                            ADC to Maj. Abolt
                            7th USI
                            Southern Division
                          • Dale Kidd
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 6, 2007
                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@... wrote:
                              > Finally...a good excuse!

                              Even despite my own excuse, which I consider pretty good, Roy's excuse
                              gets my vote as most convincing. Trying to cross into the US with a
                              record could be really unpleasant... US Customs & Immigration are not
                              known for their sense of humour about such things.
                            • roy winders
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 6, 2007
                                They,d never,r seen me on that grassy knoll if,n Id,a used smokeless

                                Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.ca

                              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                                  Of course I MUST add the 1st being there was a great joy and a welcome addition to the line!
                                  They did themselves proud.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 10, 2007
                                    Thank you Sir, you are too kind.
                                    In truth, I cannot speak more highly of an event. We all had a wonderful time.
                                    What an amazing city! What wonderful people! What a fantastic event!
                                    "Wishing" I was going to be there......

                                    Hal