Re: [War Of 1812] Welcome

  • glenn stott
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
      Dear List,
      I am in the process of reading Latimer's 1812 Book and find it refreshing in that it seems to be taking a third party approach, not Canadian or American, and putting a lot of the traditional issues in a true perspective ie. the importance of the Napoleonic crisis, vs. the significance of U.S. "sovereignity" over search and seizure. Quite refreshing. It also pokes holes in Canadian Myths as well.

      So far an excellent read.

      Glenn Stott, Royal Scots Lights
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
        Canadian "Myths"?

        This would suggest we delude ourselves..

        I think not! ;-)

        "Major" Tom (who's known to be delusional)

        I am in the process of reading Latimer's 1812 Book and find it refreshing in that it seems to be taking a third party approach, not Canadian or American, and putting a lot of the traditional issues in a true perspective ie. the importance of the Napoleonic crisis, vs. the significance of U.S. "sovereignity" over search and seizure. Quite refreshing. It also pokes holes in Canadian Myths as well.

        So far an excellent read.

        Glenn Stott, Royal Scots Lights

        Recent Activity
        a.. 3New Members
        Visit Your Group
        Only on Yahoo!
        World of Star Wars

        Meet fans, watch

        videos & more.

        Yahoo! News
        Get it all here

        Breaking news to

        entertainment news

        Biz Resources
        Y! Small Business

        Articles, tools,

        forms, and more.
        .

      • James Yaworsky
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
          Moderator here.

          On the assumption that useful information regarding Jon Latimer's
          recently published book on the War of 1812 is being and will be
          posted, the "subject" line of this thread should be changed.
          "Welcome" doesn't really assist anyone in the future who might want to
          retrieve this information.

          Jim Yaworsky

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@...> wrote:

          > Canadian "Myths"?
          >
          > This would suggest we delude ourselves..
          >
          > I think not! ;-)
          >
          > "Major" Tom (who's known to be delusional)

          12/4/2007 10:52 AM

        • Kristian Burton
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
            Hi Erika,

            John Latimer's book is high on my "must have" list. It was a review of the
            book in my local press that aroused my interest in this, indeed "incredible
            war".
            Having read your comments, I am even more anxious to obtain it.

            All the best,

            Kristian.
            Essex
            UK
> [...]
            > attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
            > generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
            > Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
            > John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
            > members will know about.
            > It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
            > Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
            > from this that I live in Essex, UK.
            > Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
            > available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
            > surprisingly even a DVD !
            > I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
            > least, aspect of military history.
            >
            > I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
            > the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

          • aushishinhamori
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
              Group,

              Thank you all for the warm welcome, and the advice on contacts, and
              regiments. I am looking forward to participating with all of you in the
              future.

              Thank you again,

              Eric,

              6th NC, Carolina Brigade