Re: [War Of 1812] Introducing myself and the 86th (Leinster) Regiment

  • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3 11:14 AM
      Hello Barry,

      Welcome to this most interesting discussion group.? I have been spending a bit of time researching Irish records in my genealogical hobby and welcome a correspondent from the Emerald Isle.? The proportion of Irishmen in the British Army seems to have been in the 33% realm.? Many Irishmen were involved in the War of 1812 on both sides of the conflict.? Many of the American military men and Canadian militia were of Irish descent.

      ?

      At the end of the War of 1812, quite a number of Irish veterans took up the offer of land grants in Upper Canada in the so-called Perth and Lanark Military settlements.? This was particularly the case with disbanded regiments like the 100th Regt of Foot.? Many of the early settlers of the Ottawa Valley were men from Kilkenny, Cavan, Derry, Antrim etc. who had served in the army during the war.? There has been a fair bit of research done by family historians tracing their roots back to these men.?

      ?

      Let me know if I can be of any assistance in your research into the American War.

      ?
      Ron Dale
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3 3:30 PM
        Welcome to the list Barry, it is good to see another Irish Reg't and another
        sister unit to the 89th! There are a bunch of knowledgeable folks here (and
        some that aren't, but I will let them identify themselves ;-) )

        You are right about the Irishman on both sides of the bayonet!

        I guess we are just expendable! If there is anyway I can help please don't
        hesitate to ask.

        Kevin

        89th Reg't

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4 10:13 PM
          Welcome Barry.

          Due to circumstances of birth I have always been interested in the
          Irish as soldiers (as Wild Geese and for the Crown.) My main
          expertise is the United States Marine Corps during the the late 18
          and early 19th Century. Like the ranks of the US Army, and I am
          suspecting a bit more so, Irish immigrants, as well as Americans of
          Irish decent, enlisted and filled the ranks of the Marine Corps in
          higher numbers than their percentage of the population.
          ***Have not had the chance to do that study yet (if someone allready
          hasn't) but its a feeling I get from looking at the rolls.***

          So I will also be happy to help you from my limited (USMC and a bit
          of Navy), and American standpoint as I will be continuing my reading
          and searching on the subject, I suspect, the entirety of my life.

          Welcome Aboard

          Colin Murphy
          USS Constitution 1812 Marine Guard
          US Marine Corps Historical Company

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
          <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

          > Welcome to the list Barry, it is good to see another Irish Reg't
          and another
          > sister unit to the 89th! There are a bunch of knowledgeable folks
          here (and
          > some that aren't, but I will let them identify themselves ;-) )
          >
          > You are right about the Irishman on both sides of the bayonet!
          >
          > I guess we are just expendable! If there is anyway I can help
          please don't
          > hesitate to ask.
          >

          > Kevin
          >
          > 89th Reg't