Introducing myself and the 86th (Leinster) Regiment

  • MHS
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2007
      Dear all,

      This is my introductory post to the list. My name is Barry Walsh from the Republic of Ireland. My background is in local and military history. My principle area of interest is the Irish soldier from 1798 to 1815. As war can be defined as a bayonet with an Irishman at either end I'm interested in picking up bits and pieces about Irish involvement on both sides in the War of 1812.

      I'm also of a member of Ireland's largest Napoleonic re-enactment group portraying the 86th (Leinster) Regiment of Foot between 1806 and 1812. Although the 86th were not involved in the War of 1812 they spent 23 and a half years on continuous foreign service including stints as marines, secondment to the Portuguese, campaigns in India, Ceylon, Egypt and the capture of Ile de Bourbon for which they became the "Bourbon Heroes" and changed their title to the Royal County Down Regiment. And how many other regiments can say they sunk a ship-of-the-line with musket fire alone?

      Our aim is to promote the history of the Irish soldier at home and abroad under all flags. Being an all-island group with Great Britain as neighbours and the USA as the next parish over hopefully we can make a positive contribution to the list.

      Mise le meas,
      Barry Walsh.

      Barry Walsh,
      86th (Leinster) Regiment of Foot
      Lord Edward's Own Multi-period Re-enactment Group
      www.kildare.ie/monasterevin-historical-society/reenactment.htm
      e-mail: monhistsoc@...

    • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
        Hello Barry,

        Welcome to this most interesting discussion group.? I have been spending a bit of time researching Irish records in my genealogical hobby and welcome a correspondent from the Emerald Isle.? The proportion of Irishmen in the British Army seems to have been in the 33% realm.? Many Irishmen were involved in the War of 1812 on both sides of the conflict.? Many of the American military men and Canadian militia were of Irish descent.

        ?

        At the end of the War of 1812, quite a number of Irish veterans took up the offer of land grants in Upper Canada in the so-called Perth and Lanark Military settlements.? This was particularly the case with disbanded regiments like the 100th Regt of Foot.? Many of the early settlers of the Ottawa Valley were men from Kilkenny, Cavan, Derry, Antrim etc. who had served in the army during the war.? There has been a fair bit of research done by family historians tracing their roots back to these men.?

        ?

        Let me know if I can be of any assistance in your research into the American War.

        ?
        Ron Dale
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
          Welcome to the list Barry, it is good to see another Irish Reg't and another
          sister unit to the 89th! There are a bunch of knowledgeable folks here (and
          some that aren't, but I will let them identify themselves ;-) )

          You are right about the Irishman on both sides of the bayonet!

          I guess we are just expendable! If there is anyway I can help please don't
          hesitate to ask.

          Kevin

          89th Reg't

          _____

[...]

          http://www.eset.com

        • Colin
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
            Welcome Barry.

            Due to circumstances of birth I have always been interested in the
            Irish as soldiers (as Wild Geese and for the Crown.) My main
            expertise is the United States Marine Corps during the the late 18
            and early 19th Century. Like the ranks of the US Army, and I am
            suspecting a bit more so, Irish immigrants, as well as Americans of
            Irish decent, enlisted and filled the ranks of the Marine Corps in
            higher numbers than their percentage of the population.
            ***Have not had the chance to do that study yet (if someone allready
            hasn't) but its a feeling I get from looking at the rolls.***

            So I will also be happy to help you from my limited (USMC and a bit
            of Navy), and American standpoint as I will be continuing my reading
            and searching on the subject, I suspect, the entirety of my life.

            Welcome Aboard

            Colin Murphy
            USS Constitution 1812 Marine Guard
            US Marine Corps Historical Company

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
            <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

            > Welcome to the list Barry, it is good to see another Irish Reg't
            and another
            > sister unit to the 89th! There are a bunch of knowledgeable folks
            here (and
            > some that aren't, but I will let them identify themselves ;-) )
            >
            > You are right about the Irishman on both sides of the bayonet!
            >
            > I guess we are just expendable! If there is anyway I can help
            please don't
            > hesitate to ask.
            >

            > Kevin
            >
            > 89th Reg't