Reasons not to go to New Orleans

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 3 4:52 AM
      1. It's too far away.

      I live in California.
      This excuse just gets me angry.
      I'll stop here before I get more angry.

      2. There's no battle.

      This excuse was put to rest several years ago.
      There's a battle.
      Funny that those who always used this as the excuse haven't been heard from in awhile...

      3. I don't like the NPS.

      Get a life.

      4. It might rain

      Yeah and an asteroid might hit the planet.
      See answer 3 above.

      5. No one of repute goes to it.

      Barring myself (self deprecating joke there if you didn't get it), there's the vaunted Steve Abolt of the 7th (I've been his friend since 1980 -- and you?) and Gen. Pickles. Who could ask for more?
      Maybe we can get Brad Pitt to come talk about his New Orleans green housing projects, will that do it for ya? If not I can show you pix of me with him. Close enough, huh?

      Lt Col my usual are you going to New Orleans rant B

      93rd SHRoFLHU
      THE Thin Red Line
      www.93rdhighlanders.com
      www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders

    • roy winders
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 3 2:40 PM
        6.my pardon hasnt come through yet

[...]

        More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://o.aolcdn com/cdn.webmail. aol.com/mailtour /aol/en-us/ text.htm? ncid=aolcmp00050 000000003

      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 3 2:45 PM
          7. I'm too bloody POOR this year to make the trip down from Canada!
          One of these years, though, I promise...

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, roy winders <rangerroy50@...> wrote:

          > 6.my pardon hasnt come through yet

          junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options
          in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at
          http://mail.yahoo.ca

        • John Ogden
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 3 4:42 PM
            Well, it has been established on a couple of other reenacting oriented lists
            I subscribe to that the price of gasoline in the US is definitely killing
            the hobby by inches as travelling to any event is quickly becoming
            prohibitively expensive. Carpooling mitigates this somewhat, but not
            extensively as we're all still carrying too much impedimenta. I personally
            have the added issue, at least for NOLA, that the event is held just when
            the spring term is beginning and my absence from class would definitely be
            noticed.

            John Ogden

            Madison, June 20, 1785

            "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense,
            founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of
            enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and, as the
            said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
            Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising
            from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony
            existing between the two countries." -- Article 11 of the Treaty of Peace
            and Friendship between the United States and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli
            of Barbary, 3 Junad 1211 (Muslim calendar), 4 November 1796 C.E..

          • Jim Krause
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 4 11:26 AM
              8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.

              Jim Krause

              John Ogden wrote:

              > Well, it has been established on a couple of other reenacting
              oriented lists
              > I subscribe to that the price of gasoline in the US is definitely
              killing
              > the hobby by inches as travelling to any event is quickly becoming
              > prohibitively expensive. Carpooling mitigates this somewhat, but not
              > extensively as we're all still carrying too much impedimenta. I
              personally
              > have the added issue, at least for NOLA, that the event is held just
              when
              > the spring term is beginning and my absence from class would
              definitely be
              > noticed.
              >
              > John Ogden
              >

              > On 12/3/07, Dale Kidd <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > 7. I'm too bloody POOR this year to make the trip down from Canada!
              > > One of these years, though, I promise...
              > >
              > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>, roy
              > > winders <rangerroy50@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > 6.my pardon hasnt come through yet

              Christianity

            • JGIL1812@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 4 1:00 PM
                In a message dated 12/4/2007 11:27:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                jkrause365@... writes:

                8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.

                Jim,

                Only if you are making $$$$$ and willing to share!

                JG/RE

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 5 2:23 AM
                  Oh,
                  Irish.

                  (and now imagine the end title music of the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show playing.
                  Ifn ye kanna, then ye have no humour in ye)

                  Lt Col I have Irish ancestors as well so yes I can say that B

                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 5 2:25 AM
                    I've used air mileage just to get there this and the last time.
                    Otherwise, I couldna been there due to poor poor me.
                    NEXT!

                    ;-)

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 5 2:27 AM
                      An excuse to stay IN school?
                      NEXT

                      ;-)

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 5 2:30 AM
                        Right. Off you go then!

                        Finally...a good excuse!

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 5 8:52 AM
                          I'm hoping mine was the good excuse. If you'd like, I can elaborate on what
                          kind of commitment to this degree program I've made that, as a fellow Scot
                          (at least ethnically in my case), I'm sure you can appreciate. My tuition
                          bill per semester comes to $11,000 US. This does not count what I'm
                          spending on books and "recommended but not required (if you don't mind
                          failing)" study aids. Given that my attendance is checked for each and
                          every class so that my professors can confidently state to the bar
                          association (whenever I get to take a bar exam) that it was really me taking
                          the courses, and each absence counts against me and my final grade. There's
                          a reason lawyers charge the fees they charge: it's mostly just to make back
                          what we spend becoming lawyers, plus a little compensation for the hell our
                          lives become while in school. And I volunteered for this...

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 5 10:30 AM
                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 12/4/2007 11:27:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                            > jkrause365@... writes:
                            >
                            > 8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.
                            >

                            > Jim,
                            >
                            > Only if you are making $$$$$ and willing to share!
                            >
                            > JG/RE
                            Yes, I am getting paid. But it isn't like I need the money, or
                            anything like that. But the people I owe it to say they need it.
                            Some nerve, eh?

                            Jim Krause
                          • Dave Westhouse
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 5 2:58 PM
                              Ok seriously now...

                              Lots of good reasons why one may not be able or want to go to New
                              Orleans but if you do go? It would be well worth the trip.

                              Several members of the Royal Scots Grenadier Company ventured down
                              there last January and were very well received and looked after. A
                              little touring before the event allowed us all to take in a wonderful
                              city that is doing well to get back on its feet. Yes, there are
                              places that do show dramatic damage but in many places you'd never
                              know. The city and its citizens would love to be your hosts for sure.

                              The site is incredible and yup there is a battle. It was pretty good.

                              If you are thinking on a long distance trip plan ahead and think New
                              Orleans, if not for this year, then maybe next. If Mr. Gilmore,
                              Jennings, Abolt, etc. can do it, then others can as well, with some
                              exceptions, granted.

                              ...and I didn't even get paid for this. :>)

                              Dave Westhouse,
                              1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.
                            • David Hinkley
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 5 6:20 PM
                                Reasons I AM going to New Orleans;

                                1.) Hang out with my friends.
                                2.) I am having withdrawl symptoms from the smell of burning sulphur.
                                3.) I like Bourbon Street late at night when young coeds use up their
                                parents hard-earned money to show off their budding talents.
                                4.) The food alone is worth the trip and I haven't had a good Po Boy in
                                a long time.

                                Dave Hinkley
                                #44 95th Reg. of Rifles

                                See you there.
                              • JGIL1812@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 5 7:00 PM
                                  In a message dated 12/5/2007 6:21:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                  pudding.boy@... writes:

                                  .) Hang out with my friends.
                                  2.) I am having withdrawl symptoms from the smell of burning sulphur.
                                  3.) I like Bourbon Street late at night when young coeds use up their
                                  parents hard-earned money to show off their budding talents.
                                  4.) The food alone is worth the trip and I haven't had a good Po Boy in
                                  a long time.

                                  Dave,

                                  All excellent reasons.

                                  JG/RE

                                • Scott McMahon
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 5 7:25 PM
                                    Bro. Hinkley,

                                    Be sure to come by and visit us over on Line Jackson... we'll save a
                                    glass for you!

                                    Sincerely,
                                    Scott McMahon
                                    ADC to Maj. Abolt
                                    7th USI
                                    Southern Division
                                  • Dale Kidd
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 6 10:30 AM
                                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@... wrote:
                                      > Finally...a good excuse!

                                      Even despite my own excuse, which I consider pretty good, Roy's excuse
                                      gets my vote as most convincing. Trying to cross into the US with a
                                      record could be really unpleasant... US Customs & Immigration are not
                                      known for their sense of humour about such things.
                                    • roy winders
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 6 2:01 PM
                                        They,d never,r seen me on that grassy knoll if,n Id,a used smokeless

                                        Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.ca

                                      • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 9 10:29 PM
                                          Of course I MUST add the 1st being there was a great joy and a welcome addition to the line!
                                          They did themselves proud.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 10 11:39 AM
                                            Thank you Sir, you are too kind.
                                            In truth, I cannot speak more highly of an event. We all had a wonderful time.
                                            What an amazing city! What wonderful people! What a fantastic event!
                                            "Wishing" I was going to be there......

                                            Hal