Out of Period note

  • Richard Feltoe
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
      Dear List.

      I know this is not for our time period, but I pulled this out of todays Daily Mirror paper in the UK. A nice little story but the kicker is the fact that this fellow was part of Popski's Private Army (For those that have never heard of this unit, it was a real life "Rat Patrol", a bunch of behind-the-lines Rambo's that fought in North Africa and Italy, led by a maniac with a hook for a hand) If you can get hold of the book Popski's Private Army it's worth the read

      Regards Richard Feltoe.

      Wartime letters of love that were lost in the desert have been dug up from the sands of Egypt after 65 years.

      They were discovered in a bag belonging to Second World War soldier Alec Ross.

      And they reveal that the brave dispatch rider was a bit of a lad - with two sweethearts on the go back home in England.

      The bag also included mail from Alec's sister Irene Porter, written when she was just a child.

      Irene, now 75, was amazed when she was told of the find, under a shallow layer of sand near Cairo.

      She said: "I was totally gobsmacked. The bag still contains all the letters we sent him as well as photos of the family, a spare cap and some army equipment.

      "It has brought so many happy memories flooding back. The only sad part is that Alec isn't still here to share them." Irene, of Burnley, Lancs, added: "He would have been thrilled, if a little embarrassed about everyone knowing he had two girlfriends competing for his attention."

      Alec, who died three years ago at 87, lost the bag in 1942. It was recently unearthed by Egyptian tour guide Halid Makram.

      Inside were items of personal kit and the letters - including some from his two girlfriends, Florence and Rose.

      Halid contacted one of his regular tour guests, Geoff Kolby, from Scotland, to try to track down Alec's relatives. Geoff searched the internet and was finally put in touch with Irene via a local radio station.

      She has been able to read the letters from photos put on disc by Halid. Now she is trying to raise sponsorship to fly him to Burnley to deliver the bag in person.

      Irene said: "I will be so pleased when I can actually hold the letters in my hand and feel something we actually wrote to Alec all those years ago."

      Alec, who settled in Whaddon, Bucks, after the war, was in the Long Range Desert Group. He was part of a unit known as Popski's Private Army - operating behind enemy lines.

    • MATTHEW PINDERA
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hi Richard. This is great stuff.....good human interest!

        On another note: I can't remember if you received the field gun reg's developed by the Light Battalion Gun Association? I think I sent you a copy earlier this year. Myself and pertanent members of the HMS Nancy Gun Crew spearheaded the development of these reg's and went knocking on tent doors to get other gun units to sign on. The results have been great in fostering an artillery "community" where we share ideas and insight on the .net and in camp.
        Our goal is to have planned artillery camps at all re-enactments designated by the organizers of the events. This way we can have planned itineraries for entire weekends that include gun and crew inspections and drill so that all crews follow the same loading and firing sequences properly.
        We also took this initiative so that the Crown Forces safety commitee would have something ready to comment/ adopt for future consideration and presentation to Parks Canada representatives. I hope this is helpful. Any time artillery is represented at meetings, those individuals present should be representing the majority of active gun units usually present at re-enactments in this province. We have had some US units express interest in joining as well because they come up this way occasionally.

        Let me know if you need a copy and I will E-mail it to you. Its large so clear some room in your mail slot.

        Thank you,
        Matt Pindera
        HMS Nancy Gun Crew

        Richard Feltoe <feltoe@...> wrote:
[...]

      • James Hardwick

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 3, 2007
            1. It's too far away.

            I live in California.
            This excuse just gets me angry.
            I'll stop here before I get more angry.

            2. There's no battle.

            This excuse was put to rest several years ago.
            There's a battle.
            Funny that those who always used this as the excuse haven't been heard from in awhile...

            3. I don't like the NPS.

            Get a life.

            4. It might rain

            Yeah and an asteroid might hit the planet.
            See answer 3 above.

            5. No one of repute goes to it.

            Barring myself (self deprecating joke there if you didn't get it), there's the vaunted Steve Abolt of the 7th (I've been his friend since 1980 -- and you?) and Gen. Pickles. Who could ask for more?
            Maybe we can get Brad Pitt to come talk about his New Orleans green housing projects, will that do it for ya? If not I can show you pix of me with him. Close enough, huh?

            Lt Col my usual are you going to New Orleans rant B

            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            www.93rdhighlanders.com
            www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders

          • roy winders
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 3, 2007
              6.my pardon hasnt come through yet

[...]

              More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://o.aolcdn com/cdn.webmail. aol.com/mailtour /aol/en-us/ text.htm? ncid=aolcmp00050 000000003

            • Dale Kidd
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 3, 2007
                7. I'm too bloody POOR this year to make the trip down from Canada!
                One of these years, though, I promise...

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, roy winders <rangerroy50@...> wrote:

                > 6.my pardon hasnt come through yet

                junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options
                in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at
                http://mail.yahoo.ca

              • John Ogden
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Well, it has been established on a couple of other reenacting oriented lists
                  I subscribe to that the price of gasoline in the US is definitely killing
                  the hobby by inches as travelling to any event is quickly becoming
                  prohibitively expensive. Carpooling mitigates this somewhat, but not
                  extensively as we're all still carrying too much impedimenta. I personally
                  have the added issue, at least for NOLA, that the event is held just when
                  the spring term is beginning and my absence from class would definitely be
                  noticed.

                  John Ogden

                  Madison, June 20, 1785

                  "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense,
                  founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of
                  enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and, as the
                  said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
                  Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising
                  from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony
                  existing between the two countries." -- Article 11 of the Treaty of Peace
                  and Friendship between the United States and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli
                  of Barbary, 3 Junad 1211 (Muslim calendar), 4 November 1796 C.E..

                • Jim Krause
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
                    8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.

                    Jim Krause

                    John Ogden wrote:

                    > Well, it has been established on a couple of other reenacting
                    oriented lists
                    > I subscribe to that the price of gasoline in the US is definitely
                    killing
                    > the hobby by inches as travelling to any event is quickly becoming
                    > prohibitively expensive. Carpooling mitigates this somewhat, but not
                    > extensively as we're all still carrying too much impedimenta. I
                    personally
                    > have the added issue, at least for NOLA, that the event is held just
                    when
                    > the spring term is beginning and my absence from class would
                    definitely be
                    > noticed.
                    >
                    > John Ogden
                    >

                    > On 12/3/07, Dale Kidd <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > 7. I'm too bloody POOR this year to make the trip down from Canada!
                    > > One of these years, though, I promise...
                    > >
                    > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>, roy
                    > > winders <rangerroy50@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > 6.my pardon hasnt come through yet

                    Christianity

                  • JGIL1812@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
                      In a message dated 12/4/2007 11:27:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      jkrause365@... writes:

                      8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.

                      Jim,

                      Only if you are making $$$$$ and willing to share!

                      JG/RE

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                        Oh,
                        Irish.

                        (and now imagine the end title music of the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show playing.
                        Ifn ye kanna, then ye have no humour in ye)

                        Lt Col I have Irish ancestors as well so yes I can say that B

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                          I've used air mileage just to get there this and the last time.
                          Otherwise, I couldna been there due to poor poor me.
                          NEXT!

                          ;-)

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                            An excuse to stay IN school?
                            NEXT

                            ;-)

                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                              Right. Off you go then!

                              Finally...a good excuse!

                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                                I'm hoping mine was the good excuse. If you'd like, I can elaborate on what
                                kind of commitment to this degree program I've made that, as a fellow Scot
                                (at least ethnically in my case), I'm sure you can appreciate. My tuition
                                bill per semester comes to $11,000 US. This does not count what I'm
                                spending on books and "recommended but not required (if you don't mind
                                failing)" study aids. Given that my attendance is checked for each and
                                every class so that my professors can confidently state to the bar
                                association (whenever I get to take a bar exam) that it was really me taking
                                the courses, and each absence counts against me and my final grade. There's
                                a reason lawyers charge the fees they charge: it's mostly just to make back
                                what we spend becoming lawyers, plus a little compensation for the hell our
                                lives become while in school. And I volunteered for this...

                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

                                  > In a message dated 12/4/2007 11:27:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                  > jkrause365@... writes:
                                  >
                                  > 8. I have a gig that week end. There, that's a good excuse.
                                  >

                                  > Jim,
                                  >
                                  > Only if you are making $$$$$ and willing to share!
                                  >
                                  > JG/RE
                                  Yes, I am getting paid. But it isn't like I need the money, or
                                  anything like that. But the people I owe it to say they need it.
                                  Some nerve, eh?

                                  Jim Krause
                                • Dave Westhouse
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                                    Ok seriously now...

                                    Lots of good reasons why one may not be able or want to go to New
                                    Orleans but if you do go? It would be well worth the trip.

                                    Several members of the Royal Scots Grenadier Company ventured down
                                    there last January and were very well received and looked after. A
                                    little touring before the event allowed us all to take in a wonderful
                                    city that is doing well to get back on its feet. Yes, there are
                                    places that do show dramatic damage but in many places you'd never
                                    know. The city and its citizens would love to be your hosts for sure.

                                    The site is incredible and yup there is a battle. It was pretty good.

                                    If you are thinking on a long distance trip plan ahead and think New
                                    Orleans, if not for this year, then maybe next. If Mr. Gilmore,
                                    Jennings, Abolt, etc. can do it, then others can as well, with some
                                    exceptions, granted.

                                    ...and I didn't even get paid for this. :>)

                                    Dave Westhouse,
                                    1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.
                                  • David Hinkley
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                                      Reasons I AM going to New Orleans;

                                      1.) Hang out with my friends.
                                      2.) I am having withdrawl symptoms from the smell of burning sulphur.
                                      3.) I like Bourbon Street late at night when young coeds use up their
                                      parents hard-earned money to show off their budding talents.
                                      4.) The food alone is worth the trip and I haven't had a good Po Boy in
                                      a long time.

                                      Dave Hinkley
                                      #44 95th Reg. of Rifles

                                      See you there.
                                    • JGIL1812@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                                        In a message dated 12/5/2007 6:21:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                        pudding.boy@... writes:

                                        .) Hang out with my friends.
                                        2.) I am having withdrawl symptoms from the smell of burning sulphur.
                                        3.) I like Bourbon Street late at night when young coeds use up their
                                        parents hard-earned money to show off their budding talents.
                                        4.) The food alone is worth the trip and I haven't had a good Po Boy in
                                        a long time.

                                        Dave,

                                        All excellent reasons.

                                        JG/RE

                                      • Scott McMahon
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                                          Bro. Hinkley,

                                          Be sure to come by and visit us over on Line Jackson... we'll save a
                                          glass for you!

                                          Sincerely,
                                          Scott McMahon
                                          ADC to Maj. Abolt
                                          7th USI
                                          Southern Division
                                        • Dale Kidd
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 6, 2007
                                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@... wrote:
                                            > Finally...a good excuse!

                                            Even despite my own excuse, which I consider pretty good, Roy's excuse
                                            gets my vote as most convincing. Trying to cross into the US with a
                                            record could be really unpleasant... US Customs & Immigration are not
                                            known for their sense of humour about such things.
                                          • roy winders
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 6, 2007
                                              They,d never,r seen me on that grassy knoll if,n Id,a used smokeless

                                              Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.ca

                                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                                                Of course I MUST add the 1st being there was a great joy and a welcome addition to the line!
                                                They did themselves proud.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                  Thank you Sir, you are too kind.
                                                  In truth, I cannot speak more highly of an event. We all had a wonderful time.
                                                  What an amazing city! What wonderful people! What a fantastic event!
                                                  "Wishing" I was going to be there......

                                                  Hal