Re: [War Of 1812] Welcome

  • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
      Kristian,

      There are some superb books on the War of 1812.? J.M. Hitsman's "Incredible War of 1812" recently re-published with notes by Canadian historian Don Graves is a very good overview of the war.? Don has also published several excellent books on specific battles of the War of 1812.? Bob Malcomson has published studies of the Battle of Queenston Heights and the Naval War on Lake Ontario that are, like Graves' books, meticulously researched and written in a very interesting style.??Carl Benn has published a brief overview of the War and, among other writings, an excellent study of?First Nations?(North American "Indian" nations)?participation in the conflict.?? There are several other really good recent books.? I have even published my own modest overview--a brief outline of the war with copious illustrations.? Those just getting into the war have found this useful as a quick read that covers the basics without overwhelming the reader.? If any of these interest you I can forward details if you contact me directly at ron.dale@....

      Ron

    • Erika Reinhardt
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
        Kristin,

        The Jon Latimer book "1812:War with America" is brand new so not
        everyone may have read it yet. I myself admittedly have not finished
        it. But being from the UK you might find it very interesting because
        it is written from the British perspective and he's writing it for a
        UK audience. He explains the war in the political/military context of
        the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, which I'm sure is a
        history that you are probably more familiar with. Basically he is
        trying to debunk American and Canadian nationalist myths surrounding
        the war and argues that Britain's war policy and relations with the
        United States was primarily influenced by the events going on in
        Europe at this time and was not an attempt to 'thwart' American
        sovreignty. He also sees it as a war the Americans lost but let's not
        start up that debate again in this forum.

        In short if you know very little about Canadian/US history at this
        time, it is a good book because he explains and clarifies points and
        issues that many of us in North American take for granted as 'common
        knowledge'. You also mentioned an interest in politics and you
        definitely get a lot of that as well as a good explanation on how
        Britain governed its colonies.

        If you are a Canadian/American you might also be interested in this
        book because he talks about how British newspapers reported on the
        war and the overall popular and political British response. He also
        looks at the British military strategy in a larger global context
        (ie. naval reinforcements could not be sent to the Great Lakes
        because they were needed in Bermuda and Spain) - These are some
        things that very few historians of the War of 1812 have bothered to
        examine.

        I'm sorry, I didn't mean to write such a long review.

        ~ Erika
        89th Grenadiers

        > Kristian,
        >

        > There are some superb books on the War of 1812.? J.M.
        Hitsman's "Incredible War of 1812" recently re-published with notes
        by Canadian historian Don Graves is a very good overview of the war.?
        Don has also published several excellent books on specific battles of
        the War of 1812.? Bob Malcomson has published studies of the Battle
        of Queenston Heights and the Naval War on Lake Ontario that are, like
        Graves' books, meticulously researched and written in a very
        interesting style.??Carl Benn has published a brief overview of the
        War and, among other writings, an excellent study of?First Nations?
        (North American "Indian" nations)?participation in the conflict.??
        There are several other really good recent books.? I have even
        published my own modest overview--a brief outline of the war with
        copious illustrations.? Those just getting into the war have found
        this useful as a quick read that covers the basics without
        overwhelming the reader.? If any of these interest you I can forward
        details if you contact me directly at ron.dale@...

        > Ron
        >

        > Hello All,

        Just a few lines to introduce myself. Over the last few years I have
        developed a strong interest in Canadian history via (no pun intended)
        my Canadian rail hobby (both model and prototype and I am also a
        moderator of the Canadian freight cars and ops Yahoo list).
        This has led me to an interest in Great Lakes shipping and whilst
        surfing the net look at books, models etc of Great Lakes ships, I came
        across the book Warships of the Great Lakes 1754-1834 by Robert
        Malcomson.
        This intrigued me as the war of 1812 had previously escaped my
        attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
        generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
        Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
        John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
        members will know about.
        It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
        Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
        from this that I live in Essex, UK.
        Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
        available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
        surprisingly even a DVD !
        I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
        least, aspect of military history.

        I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
        the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

        All the best,

        Kristian
        Essex
        UK

      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
          The irony is that Jon, a British author (Welsh to boot), was originally
          invited to write the book by a British publisher. But the publisher got
          nervous about its appeal, and would not publish. A respected US
          company, Harvard University Press, is now the publisher.
          Those of you who were on the Queenston Hts march and recreation in
          October may have brushed shoulders with Jon. He was wearing a uniform
          of the 41st, and marched with us. He was my house guest for ten days at
          the time, and is a good friend. He thoroughly enjoyed his time in
          Canada.
          He is currently working on a book on the Niagara campaign of 1814.
          Just a few pieces of trivia.
          Ray H
          41st Regt.

        • JGIL1812@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
            In a message dated 12/4/2007 5:00:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            ray.hobbs@... writes:

            He is currently working on a book on the Niagara campaign of 1814.
            Just a few pieces of trivia.
            Ray H

            Ray,

            Keep us posted on this new book. I have read Jon's " War with America" book
            and his insights certainly made me re think some of my previous concrete
            opinions about the war. See you at Meigs.

            JG/RE

          • glenn stott
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
              Dear List,
              I am in the process of reading Latimer's 1812 Book and find it refreshing in that it seems to be taking a third party approach, not Canadian or American, and putting a lot of the traditional issues in a true perspective ie. the importance of the Napoleonic crisis, vs. the significance of U.S. "sovereignity" over search and seizure. Quite refreshing. It also pokes holes in Canadian Myths as well.

              So far an excellent read.

              Glenn Stott, Royal Scots Lights
> [...]

              attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
              generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
              Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
              John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
              members will know about.
              It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
              Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
              from this that I live in Essex, UK.
              Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
              available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
              surprisingly even a DVD !
              I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
              least, aspect of military history.

              I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
              the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

            • Tom Hurlbut
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                Canadian "Myths"?

                This would suggest we delude ourselves..

                I think not! ;-)

                "Major" Tom (who's known to be delusional)

                I am in the process of reading Latimer's 1812 Book and find it refreshing in that it seems to be taking a third party approach, not Canadian or American, and putting a lot of the traditional issues in a true perspective ie. the importance of the Napoleonic crisis, vs. the significance of U.S. "sovereignity" over search and seizure. Quite refreshing. It also pokes holes in Canadian Myths as well.

                So far an excellent read.

                Glenn Stott, Royal Scots Lights

                Recent Activity
                a.. 3New Members
                Visit Your Group
                Only on Yahoo!
                World of Star Wars

                Meet fans, watch

                videos & more.

                Yahoo! News
                Get it all here

                Breaking news to

                entertainment news

                Biz Resources
                Y! Small Business

                Articles, tools,

                forms, and more.
                .

              • James Yaworsky
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Moderator here.

                  On the assumption that useful information regarding Jon Latimer's
                  recently published book on the War of 1812 is being and will be
                  posted, the "subject" line of this thread should be changed.
                  "Welcome" doesn't really assist anyone in the future who might want to
                  retrieve this information.

                  Jim Yaworsky

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@...> wrote:

                  > Canadian "Myths"?
                  >
                  > This would suggest we delude ourselves..
                  >
                  > I think not! ;-)
                  >
                  > "Major" Tom (who's known to be delusional)

                  12/4/2007 10:52 AM

                • Kristian Burton
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                    Hi Erika,

                    John Latimer's book is high on my "must have" list. It was a review of the
                    book in my local press that aroused my interest in this, indeed "incredible
                    war".
                    Having read your comments, I am even more anxious to obtain it.

                    All the best,

                    Kristian.
                    Essex
                    UK
> [...]
                    > attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
                    > generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
                    > Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
                    > John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
                    > members will know about.
                    > It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
                    > Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
                    > from this that I live in Essex, UK.
                    > Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
                    > available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
                    > surprisingly even a DVD !
                    > I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
                    > least, aspect of military history.
                    >
                    > I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
                    > the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

                  • aushishinhamori
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                      Group,

                      Thank you all for the warm welcome, and the advice on contacts, and
                      regiments. I am looking forward to participating with all of you in the
                      future.

                      Thank you again,

                      Eric,

                      6th NC, Carolina Brigade