Re: [War Of 1812] Welcome

  • Kristian Burton
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi Ron,

      Thanks for the welcome. I have to be honest, I had to Google the Battle of
      Clontarf as this was new to me. However, I suppose it is fair to say that
      there isn't a region of these islands that hasn't been the scene of some
      pretty serious fighting at some time in its history.
      I am finding the history of conflicts on the frontiers of what was then the
      "New World" particularly interesting as the various European powers vied for
      power and possession of the continent (Last of the Mohicans always a
      favorite book).
      I have quite a lot of research ahead of me on the 1812 war and I am trying
      to get hold of some books which I am sure will generate more questions than
      they will give answers. My focus will be, as ever, on the politics which
      brought about the conflict and the technology of the weapons and equipment
      deployed.

      All the best,

      Kristian.
      UK
    • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
        Kristian,

        There are some superb books on the War of 1812.? J.M. Hitsman's "Incredible War of 1812" recently re-published with notes by Canadian historian Don Graves is a very good overview of the war.? Don has also published several excellent books on specific battles of the War of 1812.? Bob Malcomson has published studies of the Battle of Queenston Heights and the Naval War on Lake Ontario that are, like Graves' books, meticulously researched and written in a very interesting style.??Carl Benn has published a brief overview of the War and, among other writings, an excellent study of?First Nations?(North American "Indian" nations)?participation in the conflict.?? There are several other really good recent books.? I have even published my own modest overview--a brief outline of the war with copious illustrations.? Those just getting into the war have found this useful as a quick read that covers the basics without overwhelming the reader.? If any of these interest you I can forward details if you contact me directly at ron.dale@....

        Ron

      • Erika Reinhardt
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
          Kristin,

          The Jon Latimer book "1812:War with America" is brand new so not
          everyone may have read it yet. I myself admittedly have not finished
          it. But being from the UK you might find it very interesting because
          it is written from the British perspective and he's writing it for a
          UK audience. He explains the war in the political/military context of
          the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, which I'm sure is a
          history that you are probably more familiar with. Basically he is
          trying to debunk American and Canadian nationalist myths surrounding
          the war and argues that Britain's war policy and relations with the
          United States was primarily influenced by the events going on in
          Europe at this time and was not an attempt to 'thwart' American
          sovreignty. He also sees it as a war the Americans lost but let's not
          start up that debate again in this forum.

          In short if you know very little about Canadian/US history at this
          time, it is a good book because he explains and clarifies points and
          issues that many of us in North American take for granted as 'common
          knowledge'. You also mentioned an interest in politics and you
          definitely get a lot of that as well as a good explanation on how
          Britain governed its colonies.

          If you are a Canadian/American you might also be interested in this
          book because he talks about how British newspapers reported on the
          war and the overall popular and political British response. He also
          looks at the British military strategy in a larger global context
          (ie. naval reinforcements could not be sent to the Great Lakes
          because they were needed in Bermuda and Spain) - These are some
          things that very few historians of the War of 1812 have bothered to
          examine.

          I'm sorry, I didn't mean to write such a long review.

          ~ Erika
          89th Grenadiers

          > Kristian,
          >

          > There are some superb books on the War of 1812.? J.M.
          Hitsman's "Incredible War of 1812" recently re-published with notes
          by Canadian historian Don Graves is a very good overview of the war.?
          Don has also published several excellent books on specific battles of
          the War of 1812.? Bob Malcomson has published studies of the Battle
          of Queenston Heights and the Naval War on Lake Ontario that are, like
          Graves' books, meticulously researched and written in a very
          interesting style.??Carl Benn has published a brief overview of the
          War and, among other writings, an excellent study of?First Nations?
          (North American "Indian" nations)?participation in the conflict.??
          There are several other really good recent books.? I have even
          published my own modest overview--a brief outline of the war with
          copious illustrations.? Those just getting into the war have found
          this useful as a quick read that covers the basics without
          overwhelming the reader.? If any of these interest you I can forward
          details if you contact me directly at ron.dale@...

          > Ron
          >

          > Hello All,

          Just a few lines to introduce myself. Over the last few years I have
          developed a strong interest in Canadian history via (no pun intended)
          my Canadian rail hobby (both model and prototype and I am also a
          moderator of the Canadian freight cars and ops Yahoo list).
          This has led me to an interest in Great Lakes shipping and whilst
          surfing the net look at books, models etc of Great Lakes ships, I came
          across the book Warships of the Great Lakes 1754-1834 by Robert
          Malcomson.
          This intrigued me as the war of 1812 had previously escaped my
          attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
          generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
          Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
          John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
          members will know about.
          It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
          Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
          from this that I live in Essex, UK.
          Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
          available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
          surprisingly even a DVD !
          I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
          least, aspect of military history.

          I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
          the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

          All the best,

          Kristian
          Essex
          UK

        • Ray Hobbs
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
            The irony is that Jon, a British author (Welsh to boot), was originally
            invited to write the book by a British publisher. But the publisher got
            nervous about its appeal, and would not publish. A respected US
            company, Harvard University Press, is now the publisher.
            Those of you who were on the Queenston Hts march and recreation in
            October may have brushed shoulders with Jon. He was wearing a uniform
            of the 41st, and marched with us. He was my house guest for ten days at
            the time, and is a good friend. He thoroughly enjoyed his time in
            Canada.
            He is currently working on a book on the Niagara campaign of 1814.
            Just a few pieces of trivia.
            Ray H
            41st Regt.

          • JGIL1812@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
              In a message dated 12/4/2007 5:00:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              ray.hobbs@... writes:

              He is currently working on a book on the Niagara campaign of 1814.
              Just a few pieces of trivia.
              Ray H

              Ray,

              Keep us posted on this new book. I have read Jon's " War with America" book
              and his insights certainly made me re think some of my previous concrete
              opinions about the war. See you at Meigs.

              JG/RE

            • glenn stott
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                Dear List,
                I am in the process of reading Latimer's 1812 Book and find it refreshing in that it seems to be taking a third party approach, not Canadian or American, and putting a lot of the traditional issues in a true perspective ie. the importance of the Napoleonic crisis, vs. the significance of U.S. "sovereignity" over search and seizure. Quite refreshing. It also pokes holes in Canadian Myths as well.

                So far an excellent read.

                Glenn Stott, Royal Scots Lights
> [...]

                attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
                generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
                Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
                John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
                members will know about.
                It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
                Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
                from this that I live in Essex, UK.
                Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
                available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
                surprisingly even a DVD !
                I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
                least, aspect of military history.

                I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
                the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

              • Tom Hurlbut
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Canadian "Myths"?

                  This would suggest we delude ourselves..

                  I think not! ;-)

                  "Major" Tom (who's known to be delusional)

                  I am in the process of reading Latimer's 1812 Book and find it refreshing in that it seems to be taking a third party approach, not Canadian or American, and putting a lot of the traditional issues in a true perspective ie. the importance of the Napoleonic crisis, vs. the significance of U.S. "sovereignity" over search and seizure. Quite refreshing. It also pokes holes in Canadian Myths as well.

                  So far an excellent read.

                  Glenn Stott, Royal Scots Lights

                  Recent Activity
                  a.. 3New Members
                  Visit Your Group
                  Only on Yahoo!
                  World of Star Wars

                  Meet fans, watch

                  videos & more.

                  Yahoo! News
                  Get it all here

                  Breaking news to

                  entertainment news

                  Biz Resources
                  Y! Small Business

                  Articles, tools,

                  forms, and more.
                  .

                • James Yaworsky
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Moderator here.

                    On the assumption that useful information regarding Jon Latimer's
                    recently published book on the War of 1812 is being and will be
                    posted, the "subject" line of this thread should be changed.
                    "Welcome" doesn't really assist anyone in the future who might want to
                    retrieve this information.

                    Jim Yaworsky

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@...> wrote:

                    > Canadian "Myths"?
                    >
                    > This would suggest we delude ourselves..
                    >
                    > I think not! ;-)
                    >
                    > "Major" Tom (who's known to be delusional)

                    12/4/2007 10:52 AM

                  • Kristian Burton
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                      Hi Erika,

                      John Latimer's book is high on my "must have" list. It was a review of the
                      book in my local press that aroused my interest in this, indeed "incredible
                      war".
                      Having read your comments, I am even more anxious to obtain it.

                      All the best,

                      Kristian.
                      Essex
                      UK
> [...]
                      > attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
                      > generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
                      > Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
                      > John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
                      > members will know about.
                      > It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
                      > Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
                      > from this that I live in Essex, UK.
                      > Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
                      > available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
                      > surprisingly even a DVD !
                      > I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
                      > least, aspect of military history.
                      >
                      > I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
                      > the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

                    • aushishinhamori
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                        Group,

                        Thank you all for the warm welcome, and the advice on contacts, and
                        regiments. I am looking forward to participating with all of you in the
                        future.

                        Thank you again,

                        Eric,

                        6th NC, Carolina Brigade