Hello

  • Kristian Burton
    Message 1 of 76 , Nov 29, 2007
      Hello All,

      Just a few lines to introduce myself. Over the last few years I have
      developed a strong interest in Canadian history via (no pun intended)
      my Canadian rail hobby (both model and prototype and I am also a
      moderator of the Canadian freight cars and ops Yahoo list).
      This has led me to an interest in Great Lakes shipping and whilst
      surfing the net look at books, models etc of Great Lakes ships, I came
      across the book Warships of the Great Lakes 1754-1834 by Robert
      Malcomson.
      This intrigued me as the war of 1812 had previously escaped my
      attention, as apart from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-1871 I have
      generally concentrated on 20th century conflicts.
      Coincidentally at about this time the local press reviewed a book by
      John Latimer titled "1812, War with America" which I imagine list
      members will know about.
      It was reviewed in the local press because of the involvement of the
      Essex regiment in the conflict. You will no doubt therefore deduce
      from this that I live in Essex, UK.
      Further internet research has revealed that there are many books
      available on the subject and, as with the Franco-Prussian War,
      surprisingly even a DVD !
      I would now like to know more about this previously unknown, to me at
      least, aspect of military history.

      I look forward to being a member of this group and as my knowledge of
      the subject improves, taking part in future discussion.

      All the best,

      Kristian
      Essex
      UK