Living History "Friends" and "Volunteers" Groups

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2007
      At this time of year, in the midst of reviewing and revising my annual
      budget allocations of scarce retirement dollars for 2008, I am faced
      with re-addressing my list of Historical Contributions.

      It is a fitting time to do this with the oncoming Christmas season and
      I always approach this task in the spirit of appreciation and
      gratitude as I reflect upon the summer past.

      In my earlier years as a Living History photographer (back in the days
      of film), ranging far and wide about the province during the
      reenactment season in search of historically authentic photographs, I
      met some great "Friends" and "Volunteers" in local Groups dedicated to
      improving their historical sites. I was also fortunate to accumulate
      a number of memberships in these "Friends" and "Volunteers" Groups.
      The rewards have exceeded the contributions many times over.

      Given my much reduced retirement income, I am now challenged to ensure
      that every dollar is well-directed. I thought that it might be useful
      to share my short list of choices with the reenactment community as a
      reminder of the benefits that we enjoyed this past summer from these
      "Friends" and "Volunteers".

      - Your local museum / historic site / pioneer village.

      - My local museum / historic site / pioneer village.
      - Fanshawe Pioneer Village.
      @ http://www.fanshawepioneervillage.ca/

      - The Friends of Crysler's Farm Battlefield Memorial.
      @ http://www.cryslersfarm.com/

      - The Friends of Fort George.
      @ http://www.friendsoffortgeorge.ca/

      - Fort Malden Volunteer Association.
      @ http://www.mnsi.net/~fmva/

      - The Friends of Fort York.
      @ http://www.fortyork.ca/friends.htm

      Memberships also make great Christmas gifts for other reenactors.

      Gord Deans,
      HMS Charwell Landing Party.