Re: [War Of 1812] Thinking of them

  • Dale Kidd
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...> wrote:
      > I hope that those were not the same flight of Harvards (from
      > Woodstock) that did NOT show up at London's Remembrance Day
      ceremonies
      > for the first time in many years.

      Bet you they were. There aren't a whole lot of formation-trained
      Harvard pilots left flying around in southern Ontario. The big question
      is, did they choose to change venue, or did the City of London, with
      it's usual administrative disdain for common sense, tell them their
      services would no longer be required?

      ~Dale
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
        Gents

        It cost money to fly planes

        The planes went where their price could be met

        The Greater Toronto Area (GTA) had numerous Remembrance Day services
        and the money was there for the planes to fly over a bunch of
        cenotaphs

        London (according to London TV) had only one

        Did anyone call London City Hall or the Legion Branch

        Money talks . . .

        Yrs.,
        L2

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:
          > Did anyone call London City Hall or the Legion Branch

          Good question, Larry. I would assume that you are probably right in
          your assessment of the situation, though. London undoubtedly could or
          would not match the money being offered by Toronto. A pity, when the
          planes have become such a part of London's cermony over the past
          several years. But, as you said, it takes money to make those birds
          fly, and the association running them has to do what is best for their
          own survival.

          Unfortunately, I was not able to see them at either venue. I was
          obliged to be travelling on Sunday, instead of participating in the
          Remembrance Day ceremonies in Amherstburg, as it has been my honour to
          for the past several years. I am looking forward to resuming that duty
          next year.

          ~Dale