Napoleon's Wife's Watch ...

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007
      An interesting news item:

      Napoleon wife's watch sells for 1.3 million dollars

      GENEVA (AFP) - A watch that belonged to Empress Josephine, wife of
      19th century French ruler Napoleon Bonaparte, sold in Geneva for more
      than 1.3 million dollars Monday, more than seven times its pre-
      auction estimate.

      The watch, made in 1800 in gold and enamel and set with diamonds,
      went under the hammer at Christie's auction house for 1.5 million
      Swiss francs (914 million euros, 1.3 million dollars).

      Christie's had estimated the lot at 200,000 Swiss francs.

      The auction house did not reveal any information about the buyer.

      The watch is an example of the 'montre a tact' or 'tactile watch'
      style invented by Abraham Louis Breguet around 1790, when it was
      considered unseemly to consult the time in public.

      The system, with the watch hand on the outside of the case, helped
      wearers to tell the time by touch without taking the watch out of
      their pocket.

      Josephine ordered the watch in 1799 for 3,000 francs. The diamonds
      were added in 1804 shortly after Napoleon was crowned Emperor of
      France, and a crown motif was added to reflect Josephine's new
      imperial status.

      She subsequently gave the watch to her daughter Hortense, who married
      Napoleon's brother Joseph Bonparte in 1802. Hortense became Queen of
      Holland when Napoleon made his brother King in 1806, and the watch
      was then engraved with a capital 'H'.
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007
        In a message dated 11/12/2007 2:07:54 PM Central Standard Time,
        tom4141fournier@... writes:

        She subsequently gave the watch to her daughter Hortense, who married
        Napoleon's brother Joseph Bonparte in 1802. Hortense became Queen of
        Holland when Napoleon made his brother King in 1806, and the watch
        was then engraved with a capital 'H'.

        Actualy Hortense married Louis, Joseph became King of Naples (Two Sicilies)
        and subsiquently of Spain. Louis was not always in sinc with Napoleon and was
        eventualy deposed by him. However in the end it was Louis who had the last
        laugh, as Nap's son died before the coming of the 2nd Empire it was Louis' and
        Hortense's son Louis Napoleon who became Emperor as Napoleon III.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007
          In a message dated 11/12/2007 3:58:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          BritcomHMP@... writes:

          Actualy Hortense married Louis, Joseph became King of Naples (Two Sicilies)
          and subsiquently of Spain.

          Thanks for the correction. I knew Joseph wasn't right, but couldn't
          remember the correct brother. I, too, have always thought it a form of justice that
          Josephine, who was divorced by Napoleon for her failure to produce an heir,
          would be the grandmother of Napoleon III. Of course, Napoleon III didn't do
          so hot, either--reigned for, what, about 10 years or so before being defeated
          by the Prussians?

          Ann Wass

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007
            In a message dated 11/12/2007 3:01:53 PM Central Standard Time,
            annbwass@... writes:

            Of course, Napoleon III didn't do
            so hot, either--reigned for, what, about 10 years or so before being
            defeated
            by the Prussians?

            Actualy Nap III (1852-71) did a bit better than Nap I (1799-1815) by 3
            years! That said he wasn't quite the soldier his uncle was. The real failed regeme
            was Napoleon II who technicaly reigned for about a week until the Allies
            decided that Nap would NOT be allowed to abdicate in favour of his son.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007
              Actually what is truly more ironic, is that if he wasn't Catholic, the current Prince Napoleon (or Napoleon VII) would be 947 in line of succession for the throne of the United Kingdom!!

              Skipped them all though. Good for me though as it raises my standing to 1300th in line!!

              KW/89