Thinking of them

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
      Further to `Thinking of them'

      At The Westin Harbour Castle Hotel located on Toronto's lake front,
      today (Nov 11 - Canadian Remembrance Day). The Management made an
      announcement over the hotel's sound system that the hotel would
      observe a minute of silence in honor of all the solders who had given
      their life for Canada.

      At 11 A.M., during minute of silence, we looked out the window and
      saw four WW2 air planes flying in formation over Toronto Harbour

      It was a fitting site for all who were on the waterfront this morning

      Thank you Mr. Williams

      We WILL remember them

      Yrs.,
      L2

      --- Craig Williams wrote:

      To all of the Canadian men and women who have given up their
      comforts and safety to go the sharp end on our behalf and
      particularly to those who have paid the supreme price and passed
      out of the sight of men,,,

      " They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old,
      Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
      At the going down of the sun and in the morning
      We will remember them."

      Craig
    • Dale Kidd
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
        To my surprise, even the TTC (Toronto Transit, for those of you not
        familiar with the the centre of the universe) came to a stop for two
        minutes at 11:00 Sunday morning. What's more, the majority of folks
        on the subway car I was riding actually sat quietly for the two
        minutes. Nice to see that people are actually starting to get it
        again.

        Or are they? I notice that government employees in Ontario get Monday
        off as a stat holiday because Remembrance Day fell on Sunday. I
        wonder what they'll be remembering as they sit at home... bet it
        won't have much to do with veterans.

        ~Dale

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...>
        wrote:

        > Further to `Thinking of them'
        >

        > At The Westin Harbour Castle Hotel located on Toronto's lake
        front,
        > today (Nov 11 - Canadian Remembrance Day). The Management made an
        > announcement over the hotel's sound system that the hotel would
        > observe a minute of silence in honor of all the solders who had
        given
        > their life for Canada.
        >
        > At 11 A.M., during minute of silence, we looked out the window and
        > saw four WW2 air planes flying in formation over Toronto Harbour
        >
        > It was a fitting site for all who were on the waterfront this
        morning

        > Thank you Mr. Williams
        >
        > We WILL remember them
        >
        > Yrs.,
        > L2
        >
        > --- Craig Williams wrote:
        >
        > To all of the Canadian men and women who have given up their
        > comforts and safety to go the sharp end on our behalf and
        > particularly to those who have paid the supreme price and passed
        > out of the sight of men,,,
        >
        > " They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old,
        > Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
        > At the going down of the sun and in the morning
        > We will remember them."
        >
        > Craig

      • HAROLD DENNISON
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
          I had the honour, yesterday, of representing the 1st Foot during the ceremonies at Fort York and was quite impressed by the public turn out. I believe Ewen said the gate was 342, as the public was invited back into the Fort after the ceremony for refreshments and tours.
          Also in attendance was Captain Stutt representing the 8th Foot and Major Everett with a well turned out squad, including colours, of the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada.
          We also were flown over by the flight of Harvards aligned in the "Missing Man" formation.
          We "will" remember them!

          Hal

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
            Mr. Dennison

            That must have been the same air planes I saw circle the Toronto
            Harbour

            For those not from our area, Mr. Dennison lives in London, Ontario,
            Canada that is about a 2 hour and 13 minute drive (119.54 miles
            according to MapQuest)

            Hazzah to you Sir

            And to all who Remembered Them!

          • kevin.windsor@sympatico.ca
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
              Yesterday was a very proud day for me! As some of you are aware I am a leader with Scouts Canada and work with the youngest section (aged 5-7). We had been struggling with the concept of "remembrance". Most kids that age don't remember where they left their packpack, so to ask them to remember the abstract is next to impossible. A few of years ago I started (in my house) to call the day "Thank a Soldier Day", and last year and this year was "Thank a Soldier Week". My boys would get two poppies, one to proudly wear, and one to give away to the first soldier (current or veteran) that they met. WHen they gave it to them, they were to say "Thank you for being a soldier".
              This year I did that with my Beaver Colony. On Thursday night we met at the Legion where they learned about the Legion, saw some artefacts and talked to a real soldier, and gave them two poppies. Sunday morning we formed up at church and went in to see two of our former Scouts (now Corporals in the Lincoln and Welland Reg't and Veterans of ISAF) lay the wreath in the church. We then went to the cemetery beside the church and placed flags and poppies on the graves of 40 War veterans there before going to the commemorative service.

              So for these 10 boys their remembrance day started on Thursday and lasted until Sunday, at the end I was dead tired, but they said "thank you" to many many soldiers (both living and dead) and while they didn't "remember" they sure did appreciate.

              So next year, please remember that if a poppy is a way of saying thank you, why not give it away and actually say it.

              Kevin
              89th

              > From: HAROLD DENNISON <hdennison@...>
              >
              > I had the honour, yesterday, of representing the 1st Foot during the ceremonies at Fort York and was quite impressed by the public turn out. I believe Ewen said the gate was 342, as the public was invited back into the Fort after the ceremony for refreshments and tours.
              > Also in attendance was Captain Stutt representing the 8th Foot and Major Everett with a well turned out squad, including colours, of the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada.
              > We also were flown over by the flight of Harvards aligned in the "Missing Man" formation.
              > We "will" remember them!
              >
              > Hal

            • Gordon Deans
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
                Hal,

                I hope that those were not the same flight of Harvards (from
                Woodstock) that did NOT show up at London's Remembrance Day ceremonies
                for the first time in many years. After all, traditions are the main
                point of remembering.

                London did have a huge improvement in the turnout of units in the
                parade and people in the crowd which after an hour of wreath laying
                began to slink away.

                Gord

                --- Craig Williams wrote:

                To all of the Canadian men and women who have given up their
                comforts and safety to go the sharp end on our behalf and
                particularly to those who have paid the supreme price and passed
                out of the sight of men,,,

                " They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old,
                Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
                At the going down of the sun and in the morning
                We will remember them."

                Craig

                War of 1812 Living History:
                A wide-ranging information exchange
                for all participants and supporters

                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                American Forces Unit Listing
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • PETER CATLEY

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
                    Kevin,
                    Great work! You make the whole 1812 community proud of your
                    thoughtfulness.

                    Rick Peterson

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                    > Yesterday was a very proud day for me! As some of you are aware I
                    am a leader with Scouts Canada and work with the youngest section
                    (aged 5-7). We had been struggling with the concept
                    of "remembrance". Most kids that age don't remember where they left
                    their packpack, so to ask them to remember the abstract is next to
                    impossible. A few of years ago I started (in my house) to call the
                    day "Thank a Soldier Day", and last year and this year was "Thank a
                    Soldier Week". My boys would get two poppies, one to proudly wear,
                    and one to give away to the first soldier (current or veteran) that
                    they met. WHen they gave it to them, they were to say "Thank you for
                    being a soldier".
                    > This year I did that with my Beaver Colony. On Thursday night we
                    met at the Legion where they learned about the Legion, saw some
                    artefacts and talked to a real soldier, and gave them two poppies.
                    Sunday morning we formed up at church and went in to see two of our
                    former Scouts (now Corporals in the Lincoln and Welland Reg't and
                    Veterans of ISAF) lay the wreath in the church. We then went to the
                    cemetery beside the church and placed flags and poppies on the graves
                    of 40 War veterans there before going to the commemorative service.

                    > So for these 10 boys their remembrance day started on Thursday and
                    lasted until Sunday, at the end I was dead tired, but they
                    said "thank you" to many many soldiers (both living and dead) and
                    while they didn't "remember" they sure did appreciate.

                    > So next year, please remember that if a poppy is a way of saying
                    thank you, why not give it away and actually say it.

                    > Kevin
                    > 89th
                    >
                    > > From: HAROLD DENNISON <hdennison@...>
                    > >
                    > > I had the honour, yesterday, of representing the 1st Foot during
                    the ceremonies at Fort York and was quite impressed by the public
                    turn out. I believe Ewen said the gate was 342, as the public was
                    invited back into the Fort after the ceremony for refreshments and
                    tours.
                    > > Also in attendance was Captain Stutt representing the 8th Foot
                    and Major Everett with a well turned out squad, including colours, of
                    the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada.
                    > > We also were flown over by the flight of Harvards aligned in
                    the "Missing Man" formation.
                    > > We "will" remember them!
                    > >
                    > > Hal

                  • Dale Kidd
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...> wrote:
                      > I hope that those were not the same flight of Harvards (from
                      > Woodstock) that did NOT show up at London's Remembrance Day
                      ceremonies
                      > for the first time in many years.

                      Bet you they were. There aren't a whole lot of formation-trained
                      Harvard pilots left flying around in southern Ontario. The big question
                      is, did they choose to change venue, or did the City of London, with
                      it's usual administrative disdain for common sense, tell them their
                      services would no longer be required?

                      ~Dale
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
                        Gents

                        It cost money to fly planes

                        The planes went where their price could be met

                        The Greater Toronto Area (GTA) had numerous Remembrance Day services
                        and the money was there for the planes to fly over a bunch of
                        cenotaphs

                        London (according to London TV) had only one

                        Did anyone call London City Hall or the Legion Branch

                        Money talks . . .

                        Yrs.,
                        L2

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:
                          > Did anyone call London City Hall or the Legion Branch

                          Good question, Larry. I would assume that you are probably right in
                          your assessment of the situation, though. London undoubtedly could or
                          would not match the money being offered by Toronto. A pity, when the
                          planes have become such a part of London's cermony over the past
                          several years. But, as you said, it takes money to make those birds
                          fly, and the association running them has to do what is best for their
                          own survival.

                          Unfortunately, I was not able to see them at either venue. I was
                          obliged to be travelling on Sunday, instead of participating in the
                          Remembrance Day ceremonies in Amherstburg, as it has been my honour to
                          for the past several years. I am looking forward to resuming that duty
                          next year.

                          ~Dale